• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    LGS has these in 5.56 for 380.00. My 3 year grandson may never have the chance to buy one when he's of age. I've read about them and know about the polymor but does anyone here have any comments? Pro or Con. I'm not a big centerfire shooter except for deer and coyotes.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I would say if you're willing to spend $380 spend less than $100 more and get one that isnt polymer. PSA, Radical Firearms, etc all offer a good product under $500

I have no experience with the polymer myself but i know in the past there was problems with the lower breaking at the buffer tube.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would say if you're willing to spend $380 spend less than $100 more and get one that isnt polymer. PSA, Radical Firearms, etc all offer a good product under $500

I have no experience with the polymer myself but i know in the past there was problems with the lower breaking at the buffer tube.

Besides, by then, the democrats may have banned plastics (polymers) completely (you know, to save the earth 'n stuff). Everything will have to be made of wood and metal. Hey wait... ;) I'm covered. :yesway:

YYrAOyG.jpg

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Several years ago, I bought one new for about $300. It had some kind of problem every time I shot it. It was sent back and fixed free of charge. I never gave ATI a second look.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    This is the age of the $300 AR. If you don't mind pushing two pins in, PSA could provide a complete lower with an aluminum receiver and a complete upper for less than the price you quoted for a polymer gun.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I was an Engineer that worked with polymers for many years prior to my retirement. I collect firearms and do not ~ nor will not purchase any firearm with working parts made with plastic of ANY type. I have not seen any polymer that does not weaken, become brittle and or crack in time due to UV etc.

Granted this may take years if the parts are not exposed to sunlight or extreme temperature, but I intend to pass on my collection to my sons and do want to insure they will last. I have many firearms that are quite old that still function like they were designed ~ wood and metal don't age under normal conditions.

I do have plastic parts on AR's like the stock etc., but these are non functional and could be replaced - none will stop the firearm from going bang!

With proper storage and minimal care the old Mosin's, AK's, Swiss, Swedish, Enfield's, Garands, M1 Carbines and my many steel handguns etc. will last for many generations. The cost savings are minimal, why buy something that has a limited life?

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    This is the age of the $300 AR. If you don't mind pushing two pins in, PSA could provide a complete lower with an aluminum receiver and a complete upper for less than the price you quoted for a polymer gun.

This would be my route. Your grandson will thank you when he's old enough to appreciate it.

Top Bottom