Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Expert clfergus's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    What would you buy in a lever .44?

    One day I am going to buy a lever .44 mag. I use to shoot a single shot H&R .44 before the rules changes and love the round for deer hunting.

    I have experience with marlins as I have a 39A. The shop I frequent sell Henry and Rossi. The Henry is finished really nice but for some reason I have a draw to the JM stamped Marlin.

    Curious to hear others preferences.

  2. #2
    Grandmaster Leadeye's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    For hunting it's tough to beat the 1894, ready for scope mount and side ejection make it a winner.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

    Marvin the Martian

  3. #3
    Master Gabriel's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    The Marlin 1894 was my choice. The side eject puts it above the Rossi if you ever want to mount anything on it. The Henry fit and finish is better, but the Henry loses out by not having a side loading gate (although that has changed for some new Henry models).

    If/When Henry comes out with a standard blued .44 with side loading gate, it'll kill the market for the 1894 in my opinion.
    Last edited by Gabriel; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:42.
    Medium speed. Moderate drag.

  4. #4
    Grandmaster indiucky's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Thread killing historian.

  5. #5
    M67
    M67 is offline
    Grandmaster M67's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Marlin no question. Older JM one or even the newer ones since the kinks were worked out years ago (by kinks I mean sabotaged ones from the factory by soon to be ex employees)

    Plus one thing I hate about Henry is sticking a scope on them sucks. Even using the lowest rings you can, seems like your cheek is still at least completely a half inch off the stock

  6. #6
    Marksman Trapper Jim's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by clfergus View Post
    One day I am going to buy a lever .44 mag. I use to shoot a single shot H&R .44 before the rules changes and love the round for deer hunting.

    I have experience with marlins as I have a 39A. The shop I frequent sell Henry and Rossi. The Henry is finished really nice but for some reason I have a draw to the JM stamped Marlin.

    Curious to hear others preferences.
    Any New (recent from 2018) Marlin. Remlin as some call it. I have had and shot over 70 lever actions of all makes and models and never have I have seen the quality of manufacturing coming out of Marlin as now. Used to be on the JM stamped ones I would have to go through 3 or 4 to get a good one. Very inconsistent in manufacturing. All 12 of my recent (2018 and newer) are excellent. Henry makes a good attempt but the balance and materials are just not there. Won't do imports. Too much work to get them to run and stay running. Recent Winchesters ( from 1965 and newer) triggers are crappy and I know of no gunsmith that can tune them. Winchesters chambers are cut large as well and will shorten your brass life. IMHO of course.
    "See you on the Range"

  7. #7
    Master Gabriel's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper Jim View Post
    Any New (recent from 2018) Marlin. Remlin as some call it. I have had and shot over 70 lever actions of all makes and models and never have I have seen the quality of manufacturing coming out of Marlin as now. Used to be on the JM stamped ones I would have to go through 3 or 4 to get a good one. Very inconsistent in manufacturing. All 12 of my recent (2018 and newer) are excellent. Henry makes a good attempt but the balance and materials are just not there. Won't do imports. Too much work to get them to run and stay running. Recent Winchesters ( from 1965 and newer) triggers are crappy and I know of no gunsmith that can tune them. Winchesters chambers are cut large as well and will shorten your brass life. IMHO of course.
    You've purchased 12 Marlin lever guns in th last eighteen months?
    Medium speed. Moderate drag.

  8. #8
    Marksman Trapper Jim's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    You've purchased 12 Marlin lever guns in th last eighteen months?

    Yep. And counting
    "See you on the Range"

  9. #9
    Grandmaster snorko's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    I'd say the first step is admitting you have a problem, But I see no problem here.
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

    "I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

  10. #10
    Grandmaster

    User Info Menu

    I'll be the oddball in the group and say I bought a 92 clone. When the Indiana laws changed I bought a "puma" 92, which was later bought out by Legacy, which was later bought out by Rossi. I have a stainless 20" 44mag and I really can't find a single fault in the gun. For whatever reason, that thing seems to be my lucky rifle. I've got nothing against putting a scope on a lever action rifle, I just didn't want to do that with this particular one and at the time when I looked into buying my pistol caliber hunting rifle there was a lot of talk on marlin forums about the "Marlin jam" especially in the 44mag caliber rifles, not so much in the 357 models. I've owned marlin 30-30, (2) 45-70's and they're good guns or at least were back when I bought mine.

    If I had to do it all over again, I'd still buy what I bought. If I were to buy another one today, I'd take a hard look at Henry. I know not having a side gate is annoying, and if I were in a non-free state and I was looking for a home defense gun this would be a deal breaker to me. Fortunately I'm not doing that and all I'm doing is taking a lever gun hunting once a year. Whenever I've handled a Henry, the actions and craftsmanship have been second to none. My 44mag has over 500 rounds through it and the action still isn't as smooth as a brand new Henry. In my opinion, that's what I'd choose and their case hardened models look like something I'd love to hand off to a child or grandchild some day when I'm an old man.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Button Dodge