Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Russian M44 Mosin Nagant

What kind of accuracy should I expect with this rifle using milsurp ammo at 100 yards?
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Depending on the bore condition, I would think 2-3 MOA should be doable.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

I've aleays heard, with a Mosin Nagant, you can hit the side of a barn, from two counties over.
    Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

Plinker

User Info Menu

I think 2-3 MOA is about right. With better ammo you can bring the groups in.

Expert

User Info Menu

Using Russian military surplus ammo, (I have several Mosin's) most will shoot under 2 moa, don't think any shoot 1 moa or better.
    Life member NRA - FFL -03 (Collector) life LTCH

User Info Menu

I would say best is 2-3 inch groups (as already mentioned). Worst is pie plate accuracy at that distance. These guns were being cranked out by the Soviets trying to turn the tide against the Germans. They can vary in quality and accuracy from rifle to rifle. "They are basically spears that happen to also fire bullets."

I have owned several M44's M38's M91/30 and M27 over the years.
    Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 press 1 to talk to someone now or text 838255 available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

User Info Menu

I am getting 4.5" groups with the yellow tip ammo. Not sure what the grain of the bullet it is. I reloaded with some 174gr SMK, and was able to get 1.75" group my smallest at 100 yards.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DadSmith View Post
    I am getting 4.5" groups with the yellow tip ammo. Not sure what the grain of the bullet it is. I reloaded with some 174gr SMK, and was able to get 1.75" group my smallest at 100 yards.
    The yellow tip is heavy ball. 180 grain if I remember correctly. My regular Mosins didn't care for it, but my Finn M39 did pretty well with it.

User Info Menu

3" with a M44 is pretty damn good. Most I've shot were in the 4-6" range, even in unissued condition, but my eyes haven't been good with irons for years.
    Tulta munille! HAKKAA PÄÄLLE

Plinker

User Info Menu

I don't know about M44, but I got a three shot group of just over an inch (~1 and 1/8) out of my 1943 M91/30, if that helps.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast