• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rouge727

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2019
    Georgetown
    Ok so I'm new to the site but there certainly seems to be a plethora of valuable information here and I'm hoping to gain some more with my question. So I want to take my son out deer hunting this year it's his first time and he's been asking all year but I'm not sure where to start on what caliber rifle to get him he's only 10 so I obviously didn't want to put him behind a .308 or anything crazy but I was leaning towards a .243 maybe some of you fine folks could offer some insight and opinions on the matter? We are hunting on private land as well in case anyone was wondering about my wanting the .243.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Ok so I'm new to the site but there certainly seems to be a plethora of valuable information here and I'm hoping to gain some more with my question. So I want to take my son out deer hunting this year it's his first time and he's been asking all year but I'm not sure where to start on what caliber rifle to get him he's only 10 so I obviously didn't want to put him behind a .308 or anything crazy but I was leaning towards a .243 maybe some of you fine folks could offer some insight and opinions on the matter? We are hunting on private land as well in case anyone was wondering about my wanting the .243.

A .243 would certainly do the trick considering a lot of kids start out that way due to the low recoil. A couple of other options to consider are AR15s in either 300 Blackout or 6.5 Grendel. Those two are supposed to be good calibers for deer, lower recoiling than others, and it could be a good way to introduce him to the AR15 platform. As he gets older, he may like how customizable the platform can be vs. a bolt action .243.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    As stated above, .243, 6.5 Gren, .300 BO or even a 6.5 Creedmore. All are lower recoil. The AR platform is a good idea also. You can build a lower with him and buy an upper in the caliber of your choice. Get a 5.56 upper for cheap practice and getting him familiar with different shooting positions. You can have a bunch of different uppers to choose from. (6.5 Creedmore and the .243 would be on the AR 10 platform as the others are on the AR15 platform)

There is one more I'll throw out there. The new .350 Legend. It doesn't have quite the range of the ones listed above but for closer work, under say 200 yards, it is a viable option.

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I hunt with .300 bo and 6.5 creedmoor in AR platform. The AR platform as mentioned above allows for quick change in calibers with the use of different uppers. Although, I took my daughter hunting last year and she used a .243 as she is recoil sensitive. There are a lot of options, just have fun and be safe.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Welcome to INGO, nothing wrong with a .243 for deer. Hop you have a good hunt, nothing like sharing that moment when a youngster gets his first.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Another caliber to consider is the 44 mag. That would allow for public ground as well if you end up getting off private land. I know several kids that started on the 44 single shot or lever gun. That was before 243 was legal though.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Another caliber to consider is the 44 mag. That would allow for public ground as well if you end up getting off private land. I know several kids that started on the 44 single shot or lever gun. That was before 243 was legal though.

Yes, I second what pgreene78 said. 44 mag works well both for private & public land and he can practice with the less expensive .44 special rounds. I actually started my sons off hunting with a .357 and used the .38 special rounds for them to practice with.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    .243 is a very versatile round. Bullet weight from 58 gr for varmint to 100 gr for deer size game. There might be some reduced recoil loads out there for it. 243 would work for private property, but not for public ground. .300 BO would be a great all round option. A TC Encore is a great option in and caliber. You can change barrels to different calibers as he grows adding a muzzle loader to the mix if he wants to extend his hunting season. Match Grade Machine can make shorter carbine length barrels too.

TLF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I have deer hunted for about 40 years now. One of my favorite rifles is an old Remington ADL in .243. I have killed many deer with it and it has been used as a first rifle for a couple of young hunters. The most recent was a petite 12 year old girl that shot her first deer with it. I suggest you ask around and see if you can borrow one to let your son shoot. I would be suprised if he didn't like it.
    I take no issue with any of the other advice given, this is just my opinion formed from my experiences. You can load up(95-100 grain) for deer or down for ground hog or coyote(45-75 grain) that's why it's still so popular because it works. Just my two cents worth. I wish you and your son good hunting.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I will add my two cents.
    1) The AR 15 is a great platform for smaller shooters. A collapsible stock allows for future growth more economically than changing stocks or buying a new gun. There are some great options for deer calibers available today.

2) Leverguns are great woods rifles. Calibers range from mild to OMG. There is just something right with blued steel and walnut. These make more of an heirloom type fist deer rifle.

3) Bolt guns run the gamut from inexpensive black plastic to exquisite blue and walnut. In 243, they are very versatile. Big enough for deer and small enough for varmints.

In conclusion. You know your child and you know what you are hoping to accomplish with him. As with everything in life there are pros and cons. Think about the long term when making your selection. Remember to make memories and set the youngun's on the right path.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    A Ruger American Ranch in 300 Blackout is a very slick little rifle, if the length of pull isn’t an issue. Subsonic loads are common and would be a very easy way to warm him up with almost no recoil, and the supersonic stuff works great on deer. Additionally, it’s a relatively quiet round, so no crazy ear trauma if he’s not wearing ear pro when he hunts.

Where do you plan to hunt?

Rouge727

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2019
    Georgetown
    Thank you everyone for the responses, he is familiar with the AR platform as he shoots mine quite often with the. 223 wylde upper and he's just small enough still that he's not too keen on the ergonomics of my setup but he's comfortable with something to rest it on. He's really taking a liking to bolt action rifles and that's one of my biggest reasons for wanting to choose the. 243 and as long as it gets him in the woods with me I'm happy. To answer your question roscott there is some land thats owned by the company I work for near Mauckport that we're going to check out and a coworker has a lease on 300+ acres in Kentucky that he invited us to as well. I really appreciate all the replies and I think it's going to be a. 243.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I bought a .243 Remington bolt gun back when the caliber was legalized for deer. I originally bought it for my son, age 9, but he did better with a single shot .44 mag.
    I ended up hunting with it and love the rifle. It has taken 2 bucks, 1 doe & a coyote all under 100 yds

Top Bottom