Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Son's first deer hunt.

Ok so I'm new to the site but there certainly seems to be a plethora of valuable information here and I'm hoping to gain some more with my question. So I want to take my son out deer hunting this year it's his first time and he's been asking all year but I'm not sure where to start on what caliber rifle to get him he's only 10 so I obviously didn't want to put him behind a .308 or anything crazy but I was leaning towards a .243 maybe some of you fine folks could offer some insight and opinions on the matter? We are hunting on private land as well in case anyone was wondering about my wanting the .243.

Master

User Info Menu

I'm no help with recommendations as I don't deer hunt. However, welcome to INGO

User Info Menu

Opinions will vary, but IMO the perfect first deer rifle in Indiana is a 300 blackout.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rouge727 View Post
    Ok so I'm new to the site but there certainly seems to be a plethora of valuable information here and I'm hoping to gain some more with my question. So I want to take my son out deer hunting this year it's his first time and he's been asking all year but I'm not sure where to start on what caliber rifle to get him he's only 10 so I obviously didn't want to put him behind a .308 or anything crazy but I was leaning towards a .243 maybe some of you fine folks could offer some insight and opinions on the matter? We are hunting on private land as well in case anyone was wondering about my wanting the .243.
    A .243 would certainly do the trick considering a lot of kids start out that way due to the low recoil. A couple of other options to consider are AR15s in either 300 Blackout or 6.5 Grendel. Those two are supposed to be good calibers for deer, lower recoiling than others, and it could be a good way to introduce him to the AR15 platform. As he gets older, he may like how customizable the platform can be vs. a bolt action .243.

User Info Menu

I second the .300 Blackout great for Indiana deer hunting!

Savage and Ruger make some very reasonable compact bolt actions that would be perfect some have adjustable stocks.
    Some of the cheaper AR rifles would be great as well with the adjustable stock.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ca...-300-blackout/

Welcome to INGO!
    U.S. Army retired

Semi-Moderator

User Info Menu

As stated above, .243, 6.5 Gren, .300 BO or even a 6.5 Creedmore. All are lower recoil. The AR platform is a good idea also. You can build a lower with him and buy an upper in the caliber of your choice. Get a 5.56 upper for cheap practice and getting him familiar with different shooting positions. You can have a bunch of different uppers to choose from. (6.5 Creedmore and the .243 would be on the AR 10 platform as the others are on the AR15 platform)

There is one more I'll throw out there. The new .350 Legend. It doesn't have quite the range of the ones listed above but for closer work, under say 200 yards, it is a viable option.

Need help posting Pictures? GO HERE for imgur
    >>>>>>>>>>
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...ing-video.html

How to embed a YouTube video....
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...st7836731NGOer

# 22951

User Info Menu

I hunt with .300 bo and 6.5 creedmoor in AR platform. The AR platform as mentioned above allows for quick change in calibers with the use of different uppers. Although, I took my daughter hunting last year and she used a .243 as she is recoil sensitive. There are a lot of options, just have fun and be safe.
    "Yup!"

User Info Menu

Welcome to INGO, nothing wrong with a .243 for deer. Hop you have a good hunt, nothing like sharing that moment when a youngster gets his first.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Marksman

User Info Menu

Another caliber to consider is the 44 mag. That would allow for public ground as well if you end up getting off private land. I know several kids that started on the 44 single shot or lever gun. That was before 243 was legal though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgreene78 View Post
    Another caliber to consider is the 44 mag. That would allow for public ground as well if you end up getting off private land. I know several kids that started on the 44 single shot or lever gun. That was before 243 was legal though.
    Yes, I second what pgreene78 said. 44 mag works well both for private & public land and he can practice with the less expensive .44 special rounds. I actually started my sons off hunting with a .357 and used the .38 special rounds for them to practice with.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast