• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok so I talked my brother I to taking my nephew trap shooting with us a couple days ago. He had a great time shooting two boxes of shells and smoked 13 tragets. He has already been asking when we can go agin.
    He is 10yo and a bit short for his age but also fairly stout. He tried to shoulder my brothers Rem 1100 20g but it was just way too big and heavy. I had him shoulder my daughter Rem 870 20g with a youth stock on it and the LOP was ok but the 26" barrel was just too long and heavy. He was leaning back trying to hold it up. Well, I had a Rossi youth single shot 20g with 22" barrel in the safe so he tried that and it fit very well.
    We had him shooting 7/8 oz loads and he didn't seem to be bothered by the recoil until the last few shots.
    So the question is does anyone have any recommendations for a short barrel youth shotgun that maybe a better option? Keeping in mind that he is only 10 and will likely grow out of a youth model at some point..so it needs to be a low budget first gun.

Also has anyone got any recommendations for a low(er) recoil shotshell? I have seen some mini shells recently but don't know anything about them any info would be welcome

Last edited:

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I purchased a Model 1100 LT-20 Youth Gunwith a 21" barrel for my grandson. It worked well for him and a standard LW stock can be added later as needed. I don't think Remmington has made them lately so used may be your only option for the LT-20 Youth Gun.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Whatever you get him I recommend adding this to it. My sons use this Allen recoil butt pad. They say it makes their 12 gauges kick like a .22LR (their quote). I do know that when other kids long get tired of shooting rounds of trap and skeet my boys shoulders don't hurt. They each shot 300 rounds of 12 gauge in Trap Club last Saturday and felt no pain afterwards. These pads are cheap in price but work great ($10.54). Here's a link to Amazon where I have bought 4 of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C6VTZY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    870 youth. Simple and comfortable. Decent home defense option when it's not in use training.

870 Pump is a bad choice for Skeet & Trap. When shooting Doubles trying to get a pump on the 2nd Clay is very hard to do with a pump. Use an Over Under for Trap because you can use two different chokes at the same time. Use a Over Under or a Semi-Auto for Skeet because it will allow you better sight control on the 2nd shot (Low House & High House doubles). Pump shotguns for a new clay shooter is not a good idea, especially not a good idea for early success on Double Clays.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Whatever you get him I recommend adding this to it. My sons use this Allen recoil butt pad. They say it makes their 12 gauges kick like a .22LR (their quote). I do know that when other kids long get tired of shooting rounds of trap and skeet my boys shoulders don't hurt. They each shot 300 rounds of 12 gauge in Trap Club last Saturday and felt no pain afterwards. These pads are cheap in price but work great ($10.54). Here's a link to Amazon where I have bought 4 of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C6VTZY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will have to look at those. Thanks for the recommendation.

He tried my daughters 870 with a youth stock on it and it was too long and heavy. I'm kind of torn on what yo do here. I could slap one of these pads on that little Rossi and just let him keep shooting that for a year or two until he grows some and maybe able to better handle some of the other youth models. But, I can also see getting him something that has more than just a single shot.
    I want the kid to enjoy shooting and I understand how important shotgun fit is too. Since at least for now, I don't see him shooting doubles anytime soon. We are going to focus on trap to grasp the basic skills of shotgun shooting and let that carry over to some small game/bird hunting.
    I think if he hits a bit of a growth spurt, he may just jump right into a 12g. After all that little Rossi tends to kick about like a 12 with the short barrel.

That Rem 1100 20g my brother has was given to him by his FIL so he plans on it being the boys gun at some point. Maybe the best option is just slap a youth stock on it and swap the barrel from 28" to something shorter? Idk, just rambling and throwing out ideas

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    The standard 870 Youth 20 ga. should have a 21” remchoke barrel. As he grows, a longer barrel and full size buttstock can be added.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Amazon has a Hogue overmolded stock to replace the youth stock on Remington's 870. This could be an option for later if you get a youth 870. I'll be getting one for my son's 870. And yes, the youth model should have a 21" barrel.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    870 Pump is a bad choice for Skeet & Trap. When shooting Doubles trying to get a pump on the 2nd Clay is very hard to do with a pump. Use an Over Under for Trap because you can use two different chokes at the same time. Use a Over Under or a Semi-Auto for Skeet because it will allow you better sight control on the 2nd shot (Low House & High House doubles). Pump shotguns for a new clay shooter is not a good idea, especially not a good idea for early success on Double Clays.

He was looking at single shots....

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    He was looking at single shots....

If he ever shoots 25 round Skeet (instead of Trap) he's going to have to shoot doubles at Stations 1,2,6,&7. Single shot shotguns make that impossible. Pump Shotguns make that very hard. My point was if you are going to buy a gun buy one that you can use for Skeet and Trap and have the best chance for success. In the 2 clubs my sons belong to I have seen many youth walk away after a couple sessions because they get frustrated because they don't break any clays or very few. Many times it's because they are using the wrong type of shotgun. I also recommend using a 12 gauge instead of a 20 gauge because there is better % of chance of breaking the clay.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I shot trap w my 20 ga 87O Special Field w 21" bbl.
    Never got over 23. Shot 16 and 20 yarders.
    Old timers cussed my loud gun.

Pops might still have hia 870 Trap. Its a lefty though.

Blasted many a clay on trap range w my Wingmaster.

Skeet it might suck.....but trap .....nothing wrong w a pump. They just bump ya more.

Ive shot many doubles in the dove field w a pump.
    Ita no big deal. Never a triple though

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If he ever shoots 25 round Skeet (instead of Trap) he's going to have to shoot doubles at Stations 1,2,6,&7. Single shot shotguns make that impossible. Pump Shotguns make that very hard. My point was if you are going to buy a gun buy one that you can use for Skeet and Trap and have the best chance for success. In the 2 clubs my sons belong to I have seen many youth walk away after a couple sessions because they get frustrated because they don't break any clays or very few. Many times it's because they are using the wrong type of shotgun. I also recommend using a 12 gauge instead of a 20 gauge because there is better % of chance of breaking the clay.

I can certainly appreciate where you are coming from but keep in mind what I said in the OP..the boy is only 10yo and last week just shot his first two boxes of shells ever. I think being concerned about shooting doubles or skeet maybe getting the cart before the horse just a bit. Last week he broke 13 out of 50 targets. He will be sticking to singles from the 16yd line for a while yet. I am hoping that between now and this time next year he may grow a bit and then maybe able to handle a little bit heavier gun.
    I remember when I was his age and learning to shoot my grandaddys Remington model 10 12g. It was a bit long and I couldn't reach the forearm to grip so I had to put my hand behind it on the mag tube. The next year dad bought me a Browning BPS 12g and had to do the same thing until I grew into it. But, I was a good bit bigger than my nephew is now. While I agree a 12 give a bit more shot pattern/string bust birds vs a 20, I'm not sure he could handle a 12 just yet.
    I think for now, I will put a good pad on the little single shot and let him have some fun with it and see where he is at in the spring. Maybe then we can get him into something better.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I can certainly appreciate where you are coming from but keep in mind what I said in the OP..the boy is only 10yo and last week just shot his first two boxes of shells ever. I think being concerned about shooting doubles or skeet maybe getting the cart before the horse just a bit. Last week he broke 13 out of 50 targets. He will be sticking to singles from the 16yd line for a while yet. I am hoping that between now and this time next year he may grow a bit and then maybe able to handle a little bit heavier gun.
    I remember when I was his age and learning to shoot my grandaddys Remington model 10 12g. It was a bit long and I couldn't reach the forearm to grip so I had to put my hand behind it on the mag tube. The next year dad bought me a Browning BPS 12g and had to do the same thing until I grew into it. But, I was a good bit bigger than my nephew is now. While I agree a 12 give a bit more shot pattern/string bust birds vs a 20, I'm not sure he could handle a 12 just yet.
    I think for now, I will put a good pad on the little single shot and let him have some fun with it and see where he is at in the spring. Maybe then we can get him into something better.

My daughter found the 12g kicked less then the 20g youth since the payloads and speed are almost the same and the 12g has more mass to tame the recoil.

She used the 20g youth for one round of Sporting Clays. Tried my 12g and has not picked up the 20g since.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yup. Trap and Skeet are very different sports. TC, keep him focused on Trap for at least a couple years until he wants to try something else. And stick with singles. It will take him awhile to clear 25 straight, then 50, then 75, then 100. But if he sticks with one discipline his chances of success increase, he will bust more birds and he will smile more.

Keep it simple. Pad on a single shot will work fine. It is true that 20 ga is tougher than a 12 for Trap but it can be done. He will have to learn to get on the bird quick.

Recoil pad plus a vest with a pad can help reduce felt recoil. Teach him to keep that cheek "glued" to the stock so it doesn't slap his face.

Trap is addictive and it has a nice future, especially for kids as it is growing as a high school sport...at least for now.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    My daughter found the 12g kicked less then the 20g youth since the payloads and speed are almost the same and the 12g has more mass to tame the recoil.

She used the 20g youth for one round of Sporting Clays. Tried my 12g and has not picked up the 20g since.

Yes, I have found that to be true also. Kind of a misconception by people that a 20 gauge always kicks less than a 12. Weight of the gun has more to do with it than the gauge.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yup. Trap and Skeet are very different sports. TC, keep him focused on Trap for at least a couple years until he wants to try something else. And stick with singles. It will take him awhile to clear 25 straight, then 50, then 75, then 100. But if he sticks with one discipline his chances of success increase, he will bust more birds and he will smile more.

Keep it simple. Pad on a single shot will work fine. It is true that 20 ga is tougher than a 12 for Trap but it can be done. He will have to learn to get on the bird quick.

Recoil pad plus a vest with a pad can help reduce felt recoil. Teach him to keep that cheek "glued" to the stock so it doesn't slap his face.

Trap is addictive and it has a nice future, especially for kids as it is growing as a high school sport...at least for now.

Rock on. We are on the same page. Good idea on the vest. Recoil pad is ordered

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yes, I have found that to be true also. Kind of a misconception by people that a 20 gauge always kicks less than a 12. Weight of the gun has more to do with it than the gauge.

Very true gun weight reduces felt recoil and yes I agree a 12 is better for trap. Problem is he couldn't handle my daughters 20g 870 with a youth stock. My dad, brother nor I have a 12 that the boy could shoot. Once he hits a growth spurt maybe he will but in the mean time I think the single shot ia going to be what he has since we can't find anything lighter right now

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I cut my teeth on hunting in the 60s at his age with the old Spanish import doubles like Zabala and Noble arms. You can still pick them up reasonably and I still use the 20 gauge for rabbit hunting.

Top Bottom