• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'm betting this is at least the 1,000th post on the this topic, so forgive me...

For a long time now I've been thinking I should probably own at least one AR platform rifle just because everyone else in the country does, so it's the most common parts, ammo, mags, etc if anything really bad should ever happen. It just seems like a good thing to have around.

However... I'm not really that "excited" about them. I'm much more interested in com block or or other more "odd" stuff so I've never put a ton of research into them, plus there are so many options and opinions that it's sort of hard to run them all down. When I've asked this question a few times in the past, in other places, the overwhelming response has either been to build one or buy like a $5000 rifle. I'm not too interested in either idea. I don't want my rifle to become my hobby or become a car payment.

What I want is something that is going to run straight out of the box, be of high enough quality that it's going to run every time for decades to come, be of reasonable accuracy ("average" AR accuracy would be fine) and doesn't weigh a ton in case I should ever have to actually carry the thing around. I don't hunt or fancy myself as a Rambo guy or any of that. I just want a quality rifle that I can practice with and keep in the safe if I ever need it. The most I could ever see doing with it would likely be critter control if I ever end up with some property that requires it... and honestly, I'd probably want to use something more fun and less practical for that if given the chance, but... You get what I'm saying. A good, plain, .223 AR that is just going to be a nice tool to own.

For a long time now I've been leaning toward the Daniel Defense DDM4 series as it seems to check a lot of my boxes and I've heard good things (with a major plus being that the V7 LW comes in at 6lbs on the nose, loaded with an a decent optic, I should end up with a nice light rifle at the end of it). I have the feeling that on any given day the price point would be right around $1500. Does this all seem reasonable given my goals? Are there other, similar, options that I should also consider around that price point? This is something I'd probably be looking to do inside of the next 6-12 months, so if there is stuff in the pipeline too, that would also be good to know.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    DD is one of the premium makers of ARs. From your description though, not really wanting one and all, I would get a Colt. You can get it for less money. You have a better chance of getting your money back out of it, if you sell it. If the Dems outlaw them and confiscate them, why have more money tied up in it.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I'm betting this is at least the 1,000th post on the this topic, so forgive me...

For a long time now I've been thinking I should probably own at least one AR platform rifle just because everyone else in the country does, so it's the most common parts, ammo, mags, etc if anything really bad should ever happen. It just seems like a good thing to have around.

However... I'm not really that "excited" about them. I'm much more interested in com block or or other more "odd" stuff so I've never put a ton of research into them, plus there are so many options and opinions that it's sort of hard to run them all down. When I've asked this question a few times in the past, in other places, the overwhelming response has either been to build one or buy like a $5000 rifle. I'm not too interested in either idea. I don't want my rifle to become my hobby or become a car payment.

What I want is something that is going to run straight out of the box, be of high enough quality that it's going to run every time for decades to come, be of reasonable accuracy ("average" AR accuracy would be fine) and doesn't weigh a ton in case I should ever have to actually carry the thing around. I don't hunt or fancy myself as a Rambo guy or any of that. I just want a quality rifle that I can practice with and keep in the safe if I ever need it. The most I could ever see doing with it would likely be critter control if I ever end up with some property that requires it... and honestly, I'd probably want to use something more fun and less practical for that if given the chance, but... You get what I'm saying. A good, plain, .223 AR that is just going to be a nice tool to own.

For a long time now I've been leaning toward the Daniel Defense DDM4 series as it seems to check a lot of my boxes and I've heard good things (with a major plus being that the V7 LW comes in at 6lbs on the nose, loaded with an a decent optic, I should end up with a nice light rifle at the end of it). I have the feeling that on any given day the price point would be right around $1500. Does this all seem reasonable given my goals? Are there other, similar, options that I should also consider around that price point? This is something I'd probably be looking to do inside of the next 6-12 months, so if there is stuff in the pipeline too, that would also be good to know.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Bushmaster. ORC $439. Rural King.

Many will have their opinions but you can’t say I didn’t warn you.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    $1500

1. Buy a good entry level AR Ruger, S&W, Windham whatever! $500-$700

2. Purchase a decent optic $300+

3. Get some training ! The leftover $$ will pay for class, ammo, hotel, gas and give you skills that a better rifle will never provide you.

Revere Riders Carbine event in October is a good place to start with.

BTW

IMO unless you beat on a rifle several times a year in classes and competition no real need for a top tier AR.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Bushmaster. ORC $439. Rural King.

Many will have their opinions but you can’t say I didn’t warn you.

Dang! That's a pretty cheap way to get my feet wet with ARs... Especially understanding the other, valid, points about mags, and ammo, and optics. Every time I buy a new gun the gun is usually the least expensive part of the deal.

I'm looking at DD just on reputation and weight alone. I don't mind the spending the money for genuinely "good" stuff, but I'm no operator either and don't pretend to be.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far, guys! Keep 'em coming.

PM inbound, CM.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Just remember, a hi point is as good as an hk, sig, or cz... they both send bullets downrange just the same!

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Just remember, a hi point is as good as an hk, sig, or cz... they both send bullets downrange just the same!

I give my buddy way too much crap about his Hi Point (in good humor) to ever be able to own one without never hearing the end of it. Otherwise, point well taken.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    $1500

1. Buy a good entry level AR Ruger, S&W, Windham whatever! $500-$700

2. Purchase a decent optic $300+

3. Get some training ! The leftover $$ will pay for class, ammo, hotel, gas and give you skills that a better rifle will never provide you.

Revere Riders Carbine event in October is a good place to start with.

BTW

IMO unless you beat on a rifle several times a year in classes and competition no real need for a top tier AR.

This right here.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Dang! That's a pretty cheap way to get my feet wet with ARs... Especially understanding the other, valid, points about mags, and ammo, and optics. Every time I buy a new gun the gun is usually the least expensive part of the deal.

I'm looking at DD just on reputation and weight alone. I don't mind the spending the money for genuinely "good" stuff, but I'm no operator either and don't pretend to be.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far, guys! Keep 'em coming.

PM inbound, CM.

I will only say this to any ears that are open to it.

After buying/owning/building this level AR I am never going back there.

Yes they will run. Yes you can hit what you are aiming at mostly. Yes many have quirks hiccups and will go sideways on you. You will get what you pay for as in most all firearms purchases.

I am putting on the flame retardant suite now.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi

Yes they will run. Yes you can hit what you are aiming at mostly. Yes many have quirks hiccups and will go sideways on you. You will get what you pay for as in most all firearms purchases.

:flamethrower:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Because I just can't help myself when these threads pop up.

Do you TRULY want a good AR-15 or do you want crap?

I've been watching Tim's videos for ages now and respect his opinion deeply. Thank you for reminding me of that video. In fact, CC isn't too far from me and I wouldn't mind making a purchase from them just to support MAC and the 2A work Tim has been doing for the past few years. It's a crying shame that YouTube has made it fiscally irresponsible for him to make many videos anymore.

I also truly appreciate the general tone of that entire thread. I know I did the newb thing and asked about ARs, but I'm walking into it with my eyes open and willing to actually spend some money, which seems counter to about 99.98% of the similar threads I've ever read.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

You'll get no such flames from me... The question in my mind now is that is it worth $500 to pop my cherry, or should I hold out for $1500 for a nice JC Penny church gal to settle down with?

Gotta admit, I'm leaning toward $500, because I can justify that right now and the way I'm looking it is then I'll end up with TWO ARs... It's like a buy one, get one free, right? :cool:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You'll get no such flames from me... The question in my mind now is that is it worth $500 to pop my cherry, or should I hold out for $1500 for a nice JC Penny church gal to settle down with?

Gotta admit, I'm leaning toward $500, because I can justify that right now and the way I'm looking it is then I'll end up with TWO ARs... It's like a buy one, get one free, right? :cool:

You say this like its a bad thing?

My two cents: buy cheap now and pop your cherry. Then invest in a "good" one once you have had more time to familiarize yourself and figure out what you really want in a top end rifle.

The bonus is when you have a buddy down the road that wants to borrow one at the range, you can give him the beater to use. :):

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    You say this like its a bad thing?

My two cents: buy cheap now and pop your cherry. Then invest in a "good" one once you have had more time to familiarize yourself and figure out what you really want in a top end rifle.

The bonus is when you have a buddy down the road that wants to borrow one at the range, you can give him the beater to use. :):

No, not at all. More guns is always the right answer.

I'm leaning that direction pretty hard, but the flaw in your logic of the final plan is you assume I have buddies...:rolleyes:

The honest truth is I had no idea you could stroll into Rural King and walk out, sales tax paid, with an AR for almost dead on $500. Last time I gave this any serious thought was at the height of things and "cheap" ARs were $800+ and "good" ones were less than twice as a expensive. The economy of scale between good and bad wasn't nearly as severe.

Now you're telling me I can fill all of my pockets with tootsie rolls OR get a 2oz filet. That does change things, especially since I already have tootsie roll money...

With all of that said, I'm awaiting the gloves-off, behind closed doors, opinion from CM. If he gives me the, "Son, sit down, we need to talk" then, well, no cheap candy for me... or, more likely, more cheap candy later. Filet first.

Top Bottom