• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Evening Gentlemen.. In all fairness, a post inspired by a love of rimfire and a bit of Seagrams 7.

We have the Rimfire Madness thread over on the General Discussion page; however I wanted to solicit opinions on two rifles. More specifically the two most successful .22 semi-autos to date; the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin Model 60.

Full disclosure, I own both a factory Ruger 10/22 with some minor upgrades (VQ spring package, VQ extractor, Hogue Overmould stock, TacSol rail, and AT3 red dot), a stock Marlin Model 60 in laminate/stainless (Simmons 4x optic that came with the gun), and a 10/22 build that I put together for my girlfriend (has not yet been range tested). That build consists of the Tactical Innovations standard aluminum receiver, Kidd ULW barrel, Ruger bolt and BX Trigger group, VQ extractor, and the Magpull X-22 Hunter stock, all topped with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 Rimfire scope.

For me personally, the Marlin 60 handles far better than the Ruger does out of the box, and has been far less ammo finicky. Handling in store, my girlfriend agreed. With that being said, the only modification that I'm considering for my Marlin as it stands is actually ditching the cheap Simmons optic, and going with the Williams Fire sights. The Ruger is far tougher to judge. I'm awaiting a TacSol trigger group from a member, that will be the basis for a more "tactical" inspired build for me. Neither of my rifles are going anywhere anytime soon; however I would love to hear everyone's opinions on the two platforms.

The 10/22 seems to be the go-to for those that wish to modify, while out of the box, the Marlin may actually have a leg up out of the box.

Edit: Have to add, that the Marlin with the optic was picked up for $10 less than the Ruger in completely stock configuration (both used).

4198c21b6705d67d9256e4479b47bdca.jpg
    beb6ef1bac32dfe4282ab2db1d4f6b4e.jpg
    b7a3a3610bc9d14a2aa3c092e9bd74d5.jpg
    153f58b808efbd336041b9b5816d3677.jpg

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I like them both. Had a mod 60 that I traded for a MagTech bolt action back when my son was learning to shoot. I wanted his learning experience to be more measured than semi-auto (started my daughter out on a single shot). Currently have a 10/22 that I got so my daughter could get familiar with the platform before starting in 4H shooting sports.

A pro on the 60 is that the tube is quicker to load than the mag on the 10/22; but with multiple mags the Ruger has more sustained shooting capability. I never had an issue with either weapon.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a 10/22 now. Use to have an 18rd Marlin Model 60.

I liked the model 60 better. It was more accurate than the 10 22 out if the box. My current 10 22 shots 1" groups at 50 yards. IMO not great compared to my old Model 60 which shot 0.5" groups at 50 yards.
    Also like the OP said the Model 60 handles better.

Thought about getting another but Remington bought out Marlin and since the quality of their firearms has dropped to Remingtons low standards.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    First off, every 10/22 owner needs ones of these: https://www.maglula.com/product/ruger-10-22-lula-loader

This is one of those “pick your favorite” choices. Both are solid rifles. Both have pros and cons. Both can be totally hit or miss.

I’ve had two Ruger built 10/22s now and was generally annoyed by both. They shot/ran fine, but no amount of use or polishing would smooth those actions out. The fit and finish was lacking. Gritty triggers, gritty actions. Triggers can be easily fixed, but the actions were equal parts bolt and receiver. The ability to build a 10/22 without ever buying a part from Ruger leaves a world of possibility for those of us that like to tinker though.

Model 60s I’ve held seem to be smoother, but it may have just been those examples. From everything I’ve seen/read/heard, the 60 is a wonderful rifle with some hiccups on newer manufacturing. Otherwise the only downside is limited aftermarket for those that like to tinker.

For a stock rifle that you won’t want to tinker with, I’d probably go Model 60.

Personall though, I ended up with Tactical Solutions X-Rings. And then totally rebuilt them anyways, but I love these receivers. My wife has her built as a full blown target rifle: X-Ring Reciever, Kidd 20” heavy barrel, Kidd two stage trigger, Titan Victor stock and a Weaver T36. Mine is the polar opposite and a lightweight build: X-Ring receiver & barrel, ModStock Stock and a red dot. Hers is pushing 9lbs and mine sits at 3lbs 13oz.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have a soft spot for the 10/22. I remember shooting my dads when I was too small to hold it myself and he would help me with it. Then there is the Marlin... my grandfather had a 81 tube fed bolt action that was a squirrel wacker. I recently picked up a Glenfield 60 that had feeding issues. Google fixed that...just a bent extractor spring. A common problem that can happen during reassembly if not careful. My only issue with the 60 is the ergonomics on the stock with the open sights. It feels a little awkward? Reminds me of the grip angle similar to a M1A. Maybe I have become to accustomed to ARs. The 60 shines with an optic on top. Raises the line of sight so it fits me better.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I've owned both. Like the look and feel of Marlin better. 10-22 shot all ammo well and the Marlin was picky. Marlin trigger sucked in comparison. Marlin has had troubles with feeding. They've had four revisions on feed box and bolt design. I had to upgrade some parts to get mine running. Time burglar and expensive.

I wouldn't buy a new Marlin. I had the older long version from 1980. My 10-22 was a K10-22T bull target.

I pedaled them both during last panic and went with a Savage in 17 cal. Haven't missed either or the 22lr.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The reg 10/22 carbine stock is horrible.
    IMHO the old sporter ('66-71) known as a "fingergroove" is the best feeling.
    Had one that did .75" at 50 yards w Blazer. 6X scope.
    Only thing it got was a Voilq hammer.

Got one now, that shoots horribly. Inlet off or stock warp over time? I had to do some minor sanding to get it to not push.
    Have not tested since relieving all pressure points.

There is some slop at rear of receiver. Need to epoxy build up the lip of the trigger housing.
    Tried another Ruger receiver/trigger and the gap different, would not even fit.

Proly do a rubber pad at tip to have slight pressure and take out rock before I do more to housing.
    The old sporter stocks are recessed under most of the bbl channel (unlike newer wood stocks).
    So it didn't take much to clean it up and have something from which to experiment (slight).

The dimensional diffs............between that stock and the reg carbine and newer sporter style.........may not be much.
    But..........the difference in feel is there.

I gotta decide is I'm gonna bed the action (have accraglass) and slap a GM sporter bbl on it. Or send the factory barrel to CPC.
    Gonna end up with 400 bucks in a beater that way.

But it will be a comfy and cool 10/22.
    Have done the heavy bbl/target stock and got decent bench results.
    But for a field gun.....it just feels like crap.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The Model 60...............replaced a few buffers for folks.
    They might shoot good from the box, but I think they feel cheap and hate the design w the flats and e rings of the lower.

If I had to go new I'd rather have a 10/22.
    The new cheapy w 18.5" no sight bbl. Drop that into some other stock, stone the hammer.
    Liked the feel of the cheapy stock, dim wise. Hate the swivel attachment.
    Also hate the butt.
    Dunno if one could mod that stock into decent.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I pedaled them both during last panic and went with a Savage in 17 cal. Haven't missed either or the 22lr.

I nearly did exactly the same thing. Couldn't find .22LR ammo to fire anywhere, but .17HMR was all over the place, and although a little more expensive, a much better round.

My buddy has had a Savage .17HMR bolt gun for ages and that thing is like a mini sniper rifle. LOTS of fun to shoot and is laser beam accurate. Popping muskrats at 100 yards is no problem for that rifle with a no better than average shooter on the trigger.

Anyhow... I like my 10/22 (take-down, stainless, folding stock, QD scope... pretty cool rifle), and haven't as of yet had the pleasure to try a Marlin, but I doubt I'll be buying any more .22s regardless. I'd more inclined to get a decent air rifle for plinking and a .17HMR for "serious" business.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I'd take a mid 80's marlin 60 any day. The one I had I learned how to polish the internals and make it run smoother.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    My first gun was a model 60 which my father bought for my 10th birthday in January of 1973. I still have that rifle and it's still running strong 46 years and tens of thousands of rounds later. I love it and will never let it out of my possession. I cannot speak for the quality or reliability of newer versions but If its anything like my old one, it's a winner.

I've never owned a 10/22 but have shot several. To me, they were ok, but nothing to get excited about. I've always considered getting one to "build" into a custom, but never have.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Ive got 2 of each. Overall I prefer the 60s. There handling is sublime, and dropping rounds in the tube makes for a more relaxing plinking session.

dmazzio

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Danville
    I have a 10/22 and a Marlin 795 Project Appleseed version, always wanted a Model 60. The Ruger is a good gun but the 795 is more accurate and smoother, dead on at 100 yards, it is one on my favorite guns.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Full disclosure- I bought a 14 shot Marlin Model 60 from a K-Mart on Alpine in Grand Rapids in 1991 for $109.95 plus tax, with a cheap tasco scope and the sleeve it still resides in. I love that little rifle.

I've spent time with many a 10/22 as well. My opinion is this- if the detachable magazine and spending more money on modifications for a .22 LR than you did on your first car is important , go with the Ruger. If you want a great handling, great shooting, simple, little rifle- Marlin.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    To each his own.
    I have always preferred detachable magazines to the tube mags. The mags are more cumbersome to load, but with the 10-25-50 round magazines swapping out mags is much easier than reloading the tube. For general plinking, which is mostly what I do, I'd go with Ruger every time.
    For hunting I can see how you would want a more accurate firearm with a better trigger/action.
    For doomsday scenarios, the Ruger is probably the most prolifically available firearm in the country.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I have both, I use both, I am perfectly happy with both. I had a 10/22 stolen out of the trunk of my car by some parentless, mouth breathing, jack wagon, low life, scum sucking, pencil necked geek....maybe 15 years ago...I still miss that one....I replaced it with a new one immediately but I miss that old rifle. Got my first Model 60 from JC Penney in about 1976 or so...it was $90 and I had to pick it up at the store.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Had both, sold the Marlin 60: Mag feed >>> Tube feed.

#1. Loading 22LR at the range sucks, specially in the winter shooting outdoors. I have 12 mags I regularly use, when got to the range, I have 300rds ready to go, I can also top off the mags any time.
    #2. My 10/22 is a Takedown version 10" SBR, can't do it with the Marlin with the tube.
    #3. I shoot mine suppressed 100% of the time, can't do it with the Marlin with the tube in the way.

6s6lJM1.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Still have my 10/22 w GM bbl and Titan stock.
    Slap the Freedom EFR on it tomorrow.
    Doubt I make it to the range though.
    My deer woods has a ton of squirrels in it (many of them reds).
    Legal anytime, the reds are.....but go after deer season.

With SK match it'll do .4" for five center to center at 50 yards.
    Rifle and scope.........$700.
    Not too shabby.

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    Can't go wrong with either but I've chosen the 10/22 because I like swapping out parts and building guns like legos and like detachable mags. From others' experience the Marlin might be higher quality, though.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Still have my 10/22 w GM bbl and Titan stock.
    Slap the Freedom EFR on it tomorrow.
    Doubt I make it to the range though.
    My deer woods has a ton of squirrels in it (many of them reds).
    Legal anytime, the reds are.....but go after deer season.

With SK match it'll do .4" for five center to center at 50 yards.
    Rifle and scope.........$700.
    Not too shabby.

You might read the regs again. Fox squirrels are good to go. Red squirrels are on the no no list with flying squirrels.

Top Bottom