Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Deer AR15 Upper

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dewidmt View Post
    I hunt close timber here in Washington County with a 7.62 X 39 AR. Lots of cheap ammo for practice and I use the Hornady SST load for the actual hunt.
    Still out of spec for public hunts. I have access now to private land, but I want to set myself up for public hunts in case I don't always have access to private land.
    Quote Originally Posted by LockStocksAndBarrel View Post
    Good point, stephen87! As usual it was well thought out, concise, and well, brilliant.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stephen87 View Post
    Still out of spec for public hunts. I have access now to private land, but I want to set myself up for public hunts in case I don't always have access to private land.
    Another check box for 300BO. Pistol build. Hit 1" 'piano key' dingers at 100yds from the bench with a 10.5".

Marksman

User Info Menu

6.8 spc for private property, 450 bushmaster for public land .
    The 6.8 has a stronger bolt than the 6.5 . Better hunting bullet selection and will run with , if not out do the 6.5 to 400 yards . Jm2c

User Info Menu

I used a 458 socom for a few years. Little expensive to shoot, but does the trick.
    Once an adult - twice a child.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I've been using 300 blackout for the last few years. Started with a 16" rifle and then built a 8.5" pistol because my access to private land is dwindling.
    First round I tried was 110gr hollow point round from Ozark Ordnance before they went under. It performed beautifully.
    Second round I tried was 110gr V-max that I hand loaded. It's been super accurate at the range and took down a small buck for me last year.
    This year I'm working on a 125gr SST round.

All of my shots have been within 100 yards and I expect that most of my shots will be within that range. I'm still waiting on my suppressor to come home, which is another reason for using the 8.5" pistol. IMO, 300BO is going to be a great option for private and public land if you configure it in a pistol package. It's even more versatile if you can build your own handloads, though there are some great factory loads as well.

Expert

User Info Menu

My der AR upper is a .458 SOCOM. 325 FTX handloads or a 300 gr. JHP does the trick. I have a 325 gr. lead load for range use that is the same point of aim as the FTX load. Much cheaper than factory ammo. I have been kicking around the idea of a 6.5 Grendel upper for general use across fields behind the house. Still haven't made my mind up though.

Plinker

User Info Menu

+1 on the 300BO pistol

User Info Menu

Probably won't do the 300BLK pistol. I already have an SBR, so no reason for a pistol too.
    Quote Originally Posted by LockStocksAndBarrel View Post
    Good point, stephen87! As usual it was well thought out, concise, and well, brilliant.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stephen87 View Post
    Probably won't do the 300BLK pistol. I already have an SBR, so no reason for a pistol too.
    Can't use the SBR with .300 BO on public lands tho. That is another reason I built a pistol lower. Take the vert grip off and put that upper on there. I keep the same sights, short barrel and my nested can.

Not really much interest for me to hunt public land, but the option is there.

User Info Menu

GrendelGrendelGrendel.

More power and reach than blackout or 7.62x39. I did a 12.5Ē so it would still be handy with a suppressor, and hunting with a pistol avoids the silly 10 round limit on person. (Not that Iím using that many, but itís still silly.)
    Quote Originally Posted by theweakerbrother View Post
    Freedom is dangerous and I prefer it that way.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast