Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Deer AR15 Upper

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsqartan View Post
    I've been using 300 blackout for the last few years. Started with a 16" rifle and then built a 8.5" pistol because my access to private land is dwindling.
    First round I tried was 110gr hollow point round from Ozark Ordnance before they went under. It performed beautifully.
    Second round I tried was 110gr V-max that I hand loaded. It's been super accurate at the range and took down a small buck for me last year.
    This year I'm working on a 125gr SST round.

All of my shots have been within 100 yards and I expect that most of my shots will be within that range. I'm still waiting on my suppressor to come home, which is another reason for using the 8.5" pistol. IMO, 300BO is going to be a great option for private and public land if you configure it in a pistol package. It's even more versatile if you can build your own handloads, though there are some great factory loads as well.
    Not to thread jack the OP's question but buy a box of Barnes TacTX 110 Black tips to reload. You'll be impressed. They were made for 300BO.

Now back to our regular programming... and

Plinker

User Info Menu

I bought a 18" 450 Bushmaster upper for my AR. Being a public land hunter, that's what I chose. It's far more accurate than a shotgun, but recoil is still stout although not 12ga slug stout.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dudley0 View Post
    Can't use the SBR with .300 BO on public lands tho. That is another reason I built a pistol lower. Take the vert grip off and put that upper on there. I keep the same sights, short barrel and my nested can.

Not really much interest for me to hunt public land, but the option is there.
    I understand that. I want the ease of taking a rifle across state lines without paperwork to the ATF. I don't want to build two lowers. I want one lower with two uppers.
    Quote Originally Posted by LockStocksAndBarrel View Post
    Good point, stephen87! As usual it was well thought out, concise, and well, brilliant.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stephen87 View Post
    I understand that. I want the ease of taking a rifle across state lines without paperwork to the ATF. I don't want to build two lowers. I want one lower with two uppers.
    350 legend is legal for use in Indiana. If all else fails reload it with .357 bullets.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BIGE7.62 View Post
    6.8 spc for private property, 450 bushmaster for public land .
    The 6.8 has a stronger bolt than the 6.5 . Better hunting bullet selection and will run with , if not out do the 6.5 to 400 yards . Jm2c
    This is the route I am currently going. Big enough for deer small enough for coyote and deadly on hogs (from what I can gather). That being said don't plan on finding ammo or reloading powder close to home.
    Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean nobody is out to get you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by usmcdjb View Post
    I used a 458 socom for a few years. Little expensive to shoot, but does the trick.
    Have killed 2 with this. Complete pass through. If you hit shoulder plan on losing meat. No doubt this will kill hogs. Too much thump and not enough range for coyotes. My upper is an awesome tack driver with a rainbow trajectory.
    Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean nobody is out to get you.

User Info Menu

If it was me, I'd go with the Grendel. Especially with yotes you're going to want as much range as you can get. Plenty of oomph for deer and hogs without a excessive recoil. Ammo is easy to find, even Walmart sells it, for now anyway.

O.k., actually that is what I plan on doing later this winter for a super-duper yote rifle. Had to pass a few shots on them last winter due to lack of confidence in getting a killing shot with 223. Also since I deer hunt on private land I'll have a dandy bad weather rifle when I don't want to risk messing up my wood stocked Tikka. And I just really like 6.5's.
    Tulta munille! HAKKAA PÄÄLLE

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsqartan View Post
    I've been using 300 blackout for the last few years. Started with a 16" rifle and then built a 8.5" pistol because my access to private land is dwindling.
    First round I tried was 110gr hollow point round from Ozark Ordnance before they went under. It performed beautifully.
    Second round I tried was 110gr V-max that I hand loaded. It's been super accurate at the range and took down a small buck for me last year.
    This year I'm working on a 125gr SST round.

All of my shots have been within 100 yards and I expect that most of my shots will be within that range. I'm still waiting on my suppressor to come home, which is another reason for using the 8.5" pistol. IMO, 300BO is going to be a great option for private and public land if you configure it in a pistol package. It's even more versatile if you can build your own handloads, though there are some great factory loads as well.
    I shot a young buck with the V-Max a few years ago out of my 16" 300 BO. It really did a number on the upper shoulder and neck muscle far beyond the entrance/exit wound. Turned it to jelly a solid 6" around the entrance wound and I believe the exit if I recall correctly. Dropped him where he stood. Only deer I ever shot with this round as I started using the Tac-Tx the next year after reading that was probably a more appropriate round for deer larger than the one I shot with VMAX.

I also recommend the Tax-Tx. I've shot maybe 6 or 7 deer with it and other than one where my shot placement was iffy, they all dropped really quickly.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4