• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Anyone use an AR15 for deer? I ask because I am debating building a 6.5 Grendel for coyotes and hogs. What caliber do you use, if you do? I wanna be able to just switch the uppers and head out for whatever my day is planned for.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    300 BO for us. Simple as a barrel only or upper swap. 110gr Barnes Tac-TX is a deer slayer. No brainer.

That waa one round I was debating. I was just hoping to hear other inout before I decided. It will be a full buuld, not just and upper. My aunt has property in another state with higs and coyotes and only AR is an SBR, so it's a pain to take it to her property.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My 300 BO is short barrel. Can't use my SBR for deer here. I built a pistol lower and might use that.

I put a can on mine which on a 16" barrel will be unwieldy at best. Wish they would come up with some subsonic rounds that would work as good as the 110gr.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I would go with a 6.5 grendel over the 300 blackout, unless you have to shoot with a suppressor.

6.5 will deliver more energy on the deer at every range, and has a much longer effective range. Even at 400 yards you're still going to be over 1,000 ft pds with the grendel.

If you're using Hornady full boar 300 BO, you'd only be at 1,000 ft pds at 100 yards or closer. The Hornady 6.5 SST offering is 1,600 at 100 yds.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    That waa one round I was debating. I was just hoping to hear other inout before I decided. It will be a full buuld, not just and upper. My aunt has property in another state with higs and coyotes and only AR is an SBR, so it's a pain to take it to her property.

Solid copper- 4 petal design. 'DRT' in one shot. Ask my Son. We zeroed at 100, very accurate. Designed for 300BO. https://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/tac-tx/

Pricey but thats what we hunt with. We'll re-zero before the season with the Barnes then game on. If you reload, I would recommend CFE-BLK or Shooters World Blackout. Lil-Gun works but is much harder on your gear.

[video=youtube_share;HwqjUYzV27A]http://youtu.be/HwqjUYzV27A[/video]

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If I was picking just for Indiana deer at the ranges I usually kill them, a 450 Bushy would be perfect. But in your situation, unless you want to have the ability to go subsonic/suppressed, the 6.5 Grendel is probably the most versatile of the bunch.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    What is your goal for creating an AR-15 for deer hunting?

I don't necessarily need to know the answer, but you do.

-Nate

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    6.5 Grendel for power, accuracy, and long range shooting ability. If 300 yards, or under 7.62x39 in an ar platform is amazingly accurate. I'd go with 7.62x39 over the 300 blackout every time.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I've got a 358 WSSM Dtech upper. I bought it before the rifle cartridges were allowed. A lot of $ spent but haven't regretted it yet.
    Tim

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Correct me if I'm wrong, which happens often, but 6.5 Grendel is not legal for deer unless on private property, yes?

As I read it, a rifle must be chambered in a round with a bullet diameter of .357 for public land. The 6.5 Grendel is .264 diameter. On private land it is .247, but I will not always have access to private land.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    Correct me if I'm wrong, which happens often, but 6.5 Grendel is not legal for deer unless on private property, yes?

As I read it, a rifle must be chambered in a round with a bullet diameter of .357 for public land. The 6.5 Grendel is .264 diameter. On private land it is .247, but I will not always have access to private land.

I believe you are correct. I don't think you can use rifles on public land, except the ones that were already legal before the change a few years ago.

I'm sure this is where you got your information, but if not:

https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/equipment

So, yeah 6.5 Grendel wouldn't be legal nor would 300 BO, .308, 6.5 CM, etc. on public land.

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy

I've used this round out of a 16" 300 BO for the past 3 years. It's pretty devastating. I've had several deer drop where they stood and a few more that made it a couple hundred yards into the woods. I've taken deer out to roughly 175 yards and that's about as far as I'm comfortable shooting and ethically taking deer. I regularly hit targets beyond that but there are enough deer on our property to where I don't feel like I need to take the risk of wounding the animal.

This year I will be hunting with a 6.5 Grendel. Picked up an Ultimate Upper Kit from Larue. Nothing wrong with the 300 BO necessarily, but the 6.5 Grendel outshines it pretty much across the board and I like trying different things so I'll report back if I get a shot on something.

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    One more thing, Alexander Arms currently has one of their Upper Lite kits on sale for $450 in their Gun Vault sale. Had this been going on when I bought my LaRue upper, I'd have gone with that. Half the price and from what I understand are supposed to be amazingly accurate. He designed the round, I believe, so you'd think he knows what he's doing.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County

An interesting rifle cartridge, which can also be chambered in an AR platform, which is legal on public land is the 350 legend. Rifles are expensive and limited, but ammunition is cheaper than 6.5 or 300 BO.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    6.5 Grendel for power, accuracy, and long range shooting ability. If 300 yards, or under 7.62x39 in an ar platform is amazingly accurate. I'd go with 7.62x39 over the 300 blackout every time.

+1 on this!

Ammo is cheap and it also packs more punch than the 300 BO.

But here is where it gets confusing. If you are hunting public ground the .300 and 7.62X39 must be out of a pistol! If private ground you are still good with a rifle and with that being said the same 6.5 is fine for deer also.

If you are hunting public ground and wanting to keep the AR a rifle I would go with the 450 Bushmaster...in my opinion it is better than the .458 SOCOM.

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I hunt close timber here in Washington County with a 7.62 X 39 AR. Lots of cheap ammo for practice and I use the Hornady SST load for the actual hunt.
    Those are nasty little rounds. All I can say is: arterial spray looks lovely on the fall leaves.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom