Advice with bolt action rifles from Ruger and Savage.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Moving forward with my bolt obsession I have decided to add a 5.56 and a 300 Blackout. I have looked at the Ruger Ranch in 5.56 and they also make a 300 Blackout. I am looking to just shoot paper at 50 to 100 yards with 200 once in awhile. I have a Ruger American in 22 and while I dislike the stock it is what it is for the cost point. I would like to stay around $500 or less on each. I would be open to other brands if someone wants to toss something out. My only must is that the barrels are threaded on both. Savage makes a Hog rifle that looks about the same as Ruger, I just really didn't want to have 2 or 3 of the same kind of rifle just in different calibers.

I would rather have a nicer 5.56 then 300 so if the numbers move around but stay around a grand total... I am only buying the 300 blackout because I have some ammo that I can't seem to sell.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    When I was looking for a budget-minded bolt action a while ago, I was comparing the Ruger American, Savage Axis, and Remington 783. (I think there was another one in the mix, but I can't remember.)

Ended up with the 783 in .308 and an Axis in .223/5.56. I've hunted with both; they each have done their job well. Total with optics for both was well under the $1k mark, but the optics are going to be the significant other expense for them.

From what I can tell, in the budget bolt category, the competitors are all pretty even - at least that was true as of a couple years ago.

ETA:
    Mossberg Patriot was the other one.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Okay. Sounds. good. I am thinking the Ruger 5.56 and the Savage for the 300 blackout. I did not look at the Axis series, that might be one for me to look at. I alway hear good things about the triggers on the Savages.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Been a long time since I've bought a "new" rifle, but I think Howa and (maybe) Tikka might have some in or close to your price range. I've heard good things about both, but I may be off the mark about the prices.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Been a long time since I've bought a "new" rifle, but I think Howa and (maybe) Tikka might have some in or close to your price range. I've heard good things about both, but I may be off the mark about the prices.

Yeah used Tikkas will run 550+. Depending on model. You got a budget for scopes OP?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I shoot a Ruger precision rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. I can tell you that the cheaper bolt guns I most often see that run with the big dogs at 1000 yards are the Ruger American Predators. Fine trigger and setup for a min entry level price. Bolt leaves some to be desired, but for $350-$400, I don’t think you can beat em.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Don't know about the last several years but for about the last 20 before that, Savage bolt guns in the model 10/110 type actions were the best bang for your buck and normally more accurate than most others. I have owned several Ruger Ranch Mini-14's and while they are reliable and built like tanks, the accuracy/grouping was NEVER better than 2+ inches at 100 yds, and that was with multiple different 223/5.56 loads and a 3x9 Leupold scope.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Don't know about the last several years but for about the last 20 before that, Savage bolt guns in the model 10/110 type actions were the best bang for your buck and normally more accurate than most others. .

I have a Savage 10FP that is at least 10 yrs old that shoots like a dream.
    I beded the stock (cheap plastic Savage stock), made sure the barrel channel was open and not touching, and added a little weight to the rear.
    With the heavy barrel it was really nose heavy

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Personally I'd look into one of the Howa Mini Action rifles

Of the Savage and Rugers, getting one of the Ruger Ranch rifles that take pmags would be a big plus to me, maybe add a Magpul stock to it down the road and it would be pretty slick.

That's one of the few downsides to the Howa Mini Actions is aftermarket stock options

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I am a huge fan of wood instead of synthetic but no threaded barrel. I jumped on their 17 HMR with a threaded wood stock a couple weeks ago.

CZ is starting to thread some of their centerfires, at least the 300 BO like I linked to above. It's the only one I've seen though. I have a couple of CZ 17 HMR's. One of them (a 453) shoots particularly good with the 20 grain rounds. Hope you enjoy yours!

Actually, I see 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel 527's with threaded barrels also on Gunbroker.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Okay. Sounds. good. I am thinking the Ruger 5.56 and the Savage for the 300 blackout. I did not look at the Axis series, that might be one for me to look at. I alway hear good things about the triggers on the Savages.

I can tell you from on hands experience on my Savage Axis 223 that they have lousy triggers out of the box.
    However you can adjust the trigger pull by cutting the trigger return spring with a pair of side cuts.
    I got my trigger down to less than 4 lbs from a very ragged 7+ lbs.
    I may take my trigger down a bit more but it's a good field trigger now. Not great but very adequate.
    I also have Ruger Americans and I love the accuracy they offer out of a budget rifle. Triggers are a bit better than the Axis from the "get go"
    Neither are a quality bench gun but they'll both punch holes that give hope of tight paper groups.

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-varmint-mtr/

I think I like this but man that stock is kinda strange. I would be doing shooting of a bipod or bag but just not sure how natural that would feel. I know I just bumped myself a few hundred but.... It happens

That's gonna be one heavy sucker once you put a decent powered scope on it. If you're thinking .223, it shows the twist at 1:9, which might not stabilize heavier rounds. I don't have any .223 CZ's, but it seems I read some of the different models have different twists. It seems most AR's have 1:8 or even 1:7 twist, to stabilize heavier rounds.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    That's gonna be one heavy sucker once you put a decent powered scope on it. If you're thinking .223, it shows the twist at 1:9, which might not stabilize heavier rounds. I don't have any .223 CZ's, but it seems I read some of the different models have different twists. It seems most AR's have 1:8 or even 1:7 twist, to stabilize heavier rounds.

I would guess that most would be 55gr. I have some heavy rounds but those are just steel case run of the mill ammo. I have 1,000 rounds of 50gr varmint tipped federal too.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Chef ...... for the same purposes that you stated (plus one more), I ended-up with the Ruger American Ranch rifle in 5.56. It has a shorter barrel than the Predator, but it's fine for punching some tight holes at 50 yds, or banging steel at 200 yds.. The convenience of grabbing a few loaded AR mags before heading to the range, or to my cabin is what sold it for me..... who doesn't have some loaded 5.56 AR mags handy ?
    Mine just has an inexpensive Nikon AR 3-9X BDC scope, and I added an Aero Precision muzzle comp and an Amish-made leather sling. The trigger is decent enough.
    I'm good to go !

i-5LNZGP7-X2.jpg

i-xWDt7Pt-XL.jpg

It all boils down to how much money you want to spend. I really like the CZ with the cool stock that you linked. Who doesn't like real wood ? :)

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    Chef ...... for the same purposes that you stated (plus one more), I ended-up with the Ruger American Ranch rifle in 5.56. It has a shorter barrel than the Predator, but it's fine for punching some tight holes at 50 yds, or banging steel at 200 yds.. The convenience of grabbing a few loaded AR mags before heading to the range, or to my cabin is what sold it for me..... who doesn't have some loaded 5.56 AR mags handy ?
    Mine just has an inexpensive Nikon AR 3-9X BDC scope, and I added an Aero Precision muzzle comp and an Amish-made leather sling. The trigger is decent enough.
    I'm good to go !

It all boils down to how much money you want to spend. I really like the CZ with the cool stock that you linked. Who doesn't like real wood ? :)

MM, that's a handy looking little carbine package. Handy, affordable, and packs a good punch. I've had good luck with Nikon scopes too, on a lot of my rifles. I have more expensive ones, but Nikons are pretty darn nice glass for the price. I like that muzzle comp too. I need to look at those for a couple of my rifles.

Top Bottom