• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccityguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2014
    Columbia City
    Just picked up a "numbers matching" 91/30 Mosin Nagant in nice shape. I know the previous owner had shot it before. Is it nesc. to run a headspace gauge in it or once its good, is it good?

IF I do need to check it, does anyone in the area around Columbia City have a set of OKIE gauges that I could rent or use or would meet with me to check it at their place? I also was told i should check the firing pin protrusion with the MN tool (which I also no not have). I would buy the OKIE gauges but apparently the fellow that made them passed away and the site is gone to order them on.

Thanks!

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    The 7.62x54R is a rimmed cartridge that headspaces on the rim. A visual check and checking a fired case will provide enough information to determine if a more accurate measure is required.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thinking about it... I have some Czech 7.62x54R training rounds I use on a "new" rifle before I use full power rounds.

I also use those with new shooters.

I took an Austrian exchange student to the range and let her fire two of those, then warned her that the next ones would kick - the third round turned her expression of one of amazement and joy. :D

(She also loved my AK)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thinking about it... I have some Czech 7.62x54R training rounds I use on a "new" rifle before I use full power rounds.

I also use those with new shooters.

I took an Austrian exchange student to the range and let her fire two of those, then warned her that the next ones would kick - the third round turned her expression of one of amazement and joy. :D

(She also loved my AK)
    Are those the 46 grain hollow projectile rounds that SGAmmo has right now?

https://www.sgammo.com/product/surp...us-46-grain-hollow-core-low-recoil-ammo-762-r

ccityguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2014
    Columbia City
    Thanks all, I figured it wasn't a major deal but just wanted to be safe than sorry with a nearly 70 year old rifle. The primer was not punctured on the fired cases he gave me, found those right after I posted this so I am assuming the pin is fine.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks all, I figured it wasn't a major deal but just wanted to be safe than sorry with a nearly 70 year old rifle. The primer was not punctured on the fired cases he gave me, found those right after I posted this so I am assuming the pin is fine.

I'm pretty sure I have ammo that is more than 70 years old that I still shoot. Get out and enjoy your rifle! :)

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    In general a rimmed case is much more forgiving of excessive headspace than a rimless case. Even with grossly excessive headspace about the only time you'll run into problems is if you reload, and that can be cured by adjusted your sizing die so the round headspaces on the shoulder rather than the rim.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

So you got a baby one, huh? ;)

I think my last acquisition was about 120 y.o.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have head space gauges for that caliber. I headspace checked everything we shot at the Revere's Riders Mil-Surp shoot last June.

If you're ever down in Indy, PM me & we'll check it. In the mean time, shoot it. :)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have head space gauges for that caliber. I headspace checked everything we shot at the Revere's Riders Mil-Surp shoot last June.

If you're ever down in Indy, PM me & we'll check it. In the mean time, shoot it. :)
    Just curious - do you find any out of spec?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have go & no-go. Both of the rifles I used for the Mil-Surp shoot passed. I don't think I have a field gauge for this caliber. These old mil-surp guns are very strong. I wouldn't worry about shooting one if it failed a no-go, especially a rimmed cartridge. If the bolt closed on a field gauge I might start to worry.

Top Bottom