Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Savage 12 FV .308

Looking for information and opinions from people smarter than me.

I have a 12 FV .308 with a 26" barrel. I have not been very happy with this rifle so far but I have not shot it a lot. I do NOT like the stock at all. I am planning on buying a B&C Medalist stock from Stocky's. I wanted to get your thoughts on cutting the 26" barrel down to 20" when I take the barrel to get threaded? The purpose of cutting it down is to reduce the length of the rifle and the weight. The twist is 1:10 and I see other .308 rifles that are 18"-20" but I don't want to impact the accuracy or distance. From what I can tell, I would lose about 110 fps by going from 26" to 20"

I will be using the rifle for target shooting mostly but will hunt some hogs and deer with it. Maybe one day I can attempt a 1000 yard shot with it. Thanks!

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Couple of thoughts:

*You can shoot to 1,000 yards with anything if you're willing to put the time and effort into it.

*What you give up in velocity of the bullet with a long barrel you will make up for with lighter weight and handiness of the rifle.

*The B&C Medalist is a great value for the money, but you'll still want to confirm the barrel and tang are free floated after installing.

I think you're on the right track. If I had that rifle, I'd cut and thread it to 20", and probably put that same stock on it as long as I didn't want to use detachable mags. That setup should shoot well for you especially if you're using federal gold medal match 168gr or 175gr or if you know how to work up a good hand load.

What glass have you got on it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
    Couple of thoughts:

*You can shoot to 1,000 yards with anything if you're willing to put the time and effort into it.

*What you give up in velocity of the bullet with a long barrel you will make up for with lighter weight and handiness of the rifle.

*The B&C Medalist is a great value for the money, but you'll still want to confirm the barrel and tang are free floated after installing.

I think you're on the right track. If I had that rifle, I'd cut and thread it to 20", and probably put that same stock on it as long as I didn't want to use detachable mags. That setup should shoot well for you especially if you're using federal gold medal match 168gr or 175gr or if you know how to work up a good hand load.

What glass have you got on it?
    Thanks Teddy! I have thought about the detachable mags but I don't want to deal with them when bench or prone shooting. I do like the 168 and 175 gr rounds, just need to find some factory rounds it likes. I do reload so hand loads is an option once I get some dies. I have been saving my brass!

Right now I have a Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 5-25x50. I have been thinking about selling this glass and getting the PST gen 2 with a little less magnification on it. The reason for selling would be less magnification and to get FFP. I just can seem to make up my mind.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WyldeShot View Post
    Thanks Teddy! I have thought about the detachable mags but I don't want to deal with them when bench or prone shooting. I do like the 168 and 175 gr rounds, just need to find some factory rounds it likes. I do reload so hand loads is an option once I get some dies. I have been saving my brass!

Right now I have a Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 5-25x50. I have been thinking about selling this glass and getting the PST gen 2 with a little less magnification on it. The reason for selling would be less magnification and to get FFP. I just can seem to make up my mind.
    I totally understand on the mags for use at the range. I prefer the 5rd mags for this reason. I've got gen 1 PST's and they're great in FFP. If you need glass advice and want to run ideas past someone you really, really, really need to talk with Alan at A&AOptics who's on this forum. He's held my hand every time I buy a scope now, and when I even think about it now I run the idea past him first. Alan also had the hook up on refurbed scopes at huge savings. You're on the right track with this rifle, and I think you're going to do just fine when you get some match ammo and do your thing at the range.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
    I totally understand on the mags for use at the range. I prefer the 5rd mags for this reason. I've got gen 1 PST's and they're great in FFP. If you need glass advice and want to run ideas past someone you really, really, really need to talk with Alan at A&AOptics who's on this forum. He's held my hand every time I buy a scope now, and when I even think about it now I run the idea past him first. Alan also had the hook up on refurbed scopes at huge savings. You're on the right track with this rifle, and I think you're going to do just fine when you get some match ammo and do your thing at the range.
    Thanks for the information. Yeah, I have bought a couple of scopes from Alan. He is good!

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Just curious. Is that the "Cabelas Exclusive" 12FV? If so, that stock is better than the old Savage tupperware stocks but still not very good. That said, they're much bang for the buck! We have three of them. .223, .204, and 22-250. Varminters.
    If your crystal meth dealer has all his teeth, he's a cop!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRob View Post
    Just curious. Is that the "Cabelas Exclusive" 12FV? If so, that stock is better than the old Savage tupperware stocks but still not very good. That said, they're much bang for the buck! We have three of them. .223, .204, and 22-250. Varminters.
    Yes itís the one from Cabelas. At first I thought it was a really cheap option but then learned about how good they are for the money. I need to spend some time finding a good round and see what the rifle can do.

Expert

User Info Menu

My Howa 20Ē heavy barrel loves 168 gr. aMAX loaded over 44 gr. Of varget. I use benchrest primers and will put 5 rounds in the same hole at 100 yds. It makes me look a lot better than I am for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DocIndy View Post
    My Howa 20Ē heavy barrel loves 168 gr. aMAX loaded over 44 gr. Of varget. I use benchrest primers and will put 5 rounds in the same hole at 100 yds. It makes me look a lot better than I am for sure.
    What twist is your barrel? I hear those Howa's are fine rifles.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WyldeShot View Post
    What twist is your barrel? I hear those Howa's are fine rifles.
    I believe itís a 1 in 10. Itís a keeper for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast