Special tools to mount a scope on rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I have a Ruger American that I need to put a scope on. The rifle will be only used for CCI Quiet ammo which is moving at less then 800FPS, suppressed. Anyhow I usually just go to Cabelas and have them mount all my scopes because honestly I'm pretty lazy. I was going to try and learn to do it myself on this one but everything I see online looks like I need to buy a bunch of stuff to do it?

JdsBiff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Muncie
    Besides the wrenches and lock tite for the screws you can just prop the rifle up and use your best judgement for the crosshairs being level with the rifle if you aren't looking to buy anything. Otherwise there are several products like magnetic levels that help make sure the rifle is upright and the scope is set correctly to it. https://www.wheelertools.com/scope-...l-reticle-leveling-system/119050.html#start=1 is a nice start, levels the rifle and levels the scope also.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    You really don't need any special tools. I have the above mentioned Wheeler kit and don't use it anymore. I think the levels that come with it are pretty useless and I'm not really a fan of the fat wrench. Plus, if you buy decent rings and mounts, you don't want to lap them.

The reason I say the levels are useless is that the plastic frames they are in aren't really parallel to the level itself. I can put one on my scope cap and center the bubble one way, but if I turn the level around, it now shows the bubble well off center. It's just not a precision piece. To exacerbate the problem, the kit wants you to match it with a different level that has a magnet attached to it, which similarly lacks the precision needed. Your mileage may vary, I just don't like the kit.

I really like this video and this is how I mount and level my optics using a Starrett ruler (except I do use a torque wrench to tighten the screws to the manufacturers recommendations)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COoXVpGfXQE

[video=youtube;COoXVpGfXQE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COoXVpGfXQE[/video]

Last edited:

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Okay well thanks for that advice. I think I did a pretty good job at it with the tools that I had. Range test Wednesday!!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Okay well thanks for that advice. I think I did a pretty good job at it with the tools that I had. Range test Wednesday!!

Awesome. It's not horribly difficult, but I will admit that I spend way too long trying to get the eye relief correct every time. After that I put a piece of masking tape on the optic right in front of one of the rings so when I'm leveling it, I don't accidentally slide it forward or backward while leveling it.

Good video. And yes, the levels in the kit could use a lot of improvements.

I do get around it by leveling the rifle first by setting one of the levels on the rail. When I'm done I set it on the scope cap to check it. I just make sure I don't turn the level around.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I like that feeler gage trick for leveling the cross hairs.

Alan at AA optics showed me this and trust that it will square the optic to the mount on the rifle. Not every system will accept this process. But most will.
    I have no specific tools for this just what is in the gun bench box.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Alan at AA optics showed me this and trust that it will square the optic to the mount on the rifle. Not every system will accept this process. But most will.

I learned of it from a post of yours a few years back. It was a revelation!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010

Yeah, if your optic is mounted straight to the receiver and there is not rail to wedge a ruler or feeler gauge between, it won't work. Also, I mounted a US Optics B10 a month or so ago. The windage and parallax knobs dropped below that flat area on the optic making it a little more difficult, but it did still work.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Fat wrench is good to go. Need to make sure rings are correctly torqued. I also draw a long LEVEL line on my basement wall. I then mount the scope and put a scope anti cant bubble level on the optic so the horizontal crosshair is perfectly level. This is pretty important if you plan on doing any long range shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BCCqlZMhEw

Yes sir I bought one of those. I think I got it all figured out now I just need to sight it in.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    You really don't need any special tools. I have the above mentioned Wheeler kit and don't use it anymore. I think the levels that come with it are pretty useless and I'm not really a fan of the fat wrench. Plus, if you buy decent rings and mounts, you don't want to lap them.

The reason I say the levels are useless is that the plastic frames they are in aren't really parallel to the level itself. I can put one on my scope cap and center the bubble one way, but if I turn the level around, it now shows the bubble well off center. It's just not a precision piece. To exacerbate the problem, the kit wants you to match it with a different level that has a magnet attached to it, which similarly lacks the precision needed. Your mileage may vary, I just don't like the kit.

I really like this video and this is how I mount and level my optics using a Starrett ruler (except I do use a torque wrench to tighten the screws to the manufacturers recommendations)...

I did this with my 308. Even the cheek height adjustment, and I haven't seen the video. I did use a bubble level. The piece of metal trick is a good idea. Sides of the metal would have to be parallel to each other. Side note, I just got the same scope in the video and was adjusting the parallax yesterday. There is a good range where it looks the same. I'll look again and open and close my eyes when adjusting.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

I have the Wheeler kit and the levels in my kit are accurate! I also check ALL levels (including carpenter) by reversing them before use. I have used the kit to mount about a half dozen scopes, I do use decent mounts and have never had to lap any. Do like the kit for the precision rods as it insures the mounts will settle on the rifle straight when I tighten the screws. Not sure if the mounts would "twist" without them but would hate to distort my scope tubes. I am sure the torque screwdriver isn't as accurate as the ones I used when I worked as an Engineer at Emerson, but it does seem accurate enough for the job.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    interesting hack I used when I did it myself:
    the iphone has a built in level. Go to the compass section to find it. I haven't had an iphone for a few years, but it worked for me.
    At this point though, I'm happy for my LGS to mount the scope for me. One less thing to mess with.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Funny thing, my stepdad paid one of our LGS to mount a scope on his lever action.....was canted something FIERCE. Can't believe he paid the guy anyway. All sorts of ways to make a scope level, most important thing is to make sure your gun and vertical crosshairs are plumb. The LGS guy only leveled the scope...on his benchtop...with the gun leaning.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you like to click, then yeah the scope needs to be vertical (so your adjustments per axis are per axis).
    The rifle being square to the scope.......no big deal.

And for those that set and forget, neither is a big deal, as long as you run it the same each time.

Think some folks see better, keep things level, are more repeatable in shouldering, than others.

Used to move scopes, mounted quite a few for myself. Did a lot for others. Was pretty darn good at it, no level.
    Then I turned 55.

Now it takes me forever and usually I have to go back and tweak it.
    Getting old sucks.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had the "calibrated wrist" and torques were super close.
    Bought the Wheeler and tore everything apart (OCD) LOL.

One word of caution...........the Wheeler is indeed a fat wrench so finger pressures/wrist torque feels different.

You lose the feel of previous Allen wrench/screwdriver tools.

Double/triple check your torque settings before you crank.

On something soft like a 10/22 receiver..............might not catch the oops (wrong setting) before it's too late.

Top Bottom