• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    My dad's one and only rifle, a Rem 725 purchased in 1958 is now in my care. Ran it to the range today and noticed about 50% of the brass had a flattened, deformed edge on one side of the neck. I used Rem Core-lokt and Privi ammo. Don't think it's a major safety concern as none of the rounds fired showed signs of bulging or splitting. All primers looked good, no unseating.

Any idea what might be causing this? Maybe a flat spot in the chamber?? I do know that one of the lugs makes full contact on lock up, and the other does not. Which apparently is somewhat common in the Remington 721, 722, 725 and old 700's.

Should this be of concern or just keep using the rifle as-is? Thanks for any insights.
    brass.jpg

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    If you’re talking about case mouth deformation it looks like the case is whacking something on extraction (scope, receiver, who knows) and not something that happens during firing.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    This is common on Remington bolt actions.
    The extractor grips the case rim and the ejector puts constant pressure against the case base.
    When the bolt is opened and pulled back quickly the case mouth hits the right side of the front receiver ring causing the dent. The faster you pull the bolt handle back the deeper the dent. If you pull the bolt back very slowly, the dent is minimal to nonexistent.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    This is common on Remington bolt actions.
    The extractor grips the case rim and the ejector puts constant pressure against the case base.
    When the bolt is opened and pulled back quickly the case mouth hits the right side of the front receiver ring causing the dent. The faster you pull the bolt handle back the deeper the dent. If you pull the bolt back very slowly, the dent is minimal to nonexistent.

Good to hear. Thanks for the information.

Top Bottom