• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I have a Mini 14 tactical with flash suppressor I bought new 7 years ago. Picked up 4 ruger 20 round oem mags and two 10 founders. This is the model made after the retool of the machines with the thicker barrel.

wondering if I should trade it in for an m4 style rifle like a saint. Only thing keeping me from doing so is the logic the mini style system is more reliable then direct gas impingement. It runs cleaner.

any thoughts?

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have a Mini 14 tactical with flash suppressor I bought new 7 years ago. Picked up 4 ruger 20 round oem mags and two 10 founders. This is the model made after the retool of the machines with the thicker barrel.

wondering if I should trade it in for an m4 style rifle like a saint. Only thing keeping me from doing so is the logic the mini style system is more reliable then direct gas impingement. It runs cleaner.

any thoughts?

If you had to choose between a Mini-14 and an AR... AR hands down. Parts are plentiful and mags are cheap.

Unless you have a burning desire to be on the A-Team

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Hands down I like the AR platform better. That said I have always been on the B team at best. Historically the Mini platform has been harder to get as accurate as the AR platform but with the AR constantly on a hit list for politicians I can see the advantage of having a mini 14 in the collection.

I know that's not really informative, I really just posted to work in my "B-team" joke. :):

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    The AR platform is going to be more accurate hands down. I don't think you'll see much more reliability in the mini platform, if any.

Having said that, I'd keep the mini. I wouldn't count on getting much value from the mini to put toward the saint. Economically speaking I'd keep what you have, unless you just want an AR and don't mind spending another $600 on one.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you had to choose between a Mini-14 and an AR... AR hands down. Parts are plentiful and mags are cheap.

Unless you have a burning desire to be on the A-Team

This sums it up. While Im a huge Ruger fan, the minis are a train wreck compared to ARs.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I disagree with everyone else. I can't argue the reliability of a decent-good AR, and yes parts are plentiful etc, and yes they are accurate. Nothing bad to say about an AR. I also am very much a fan of the mini 14..especially the ranch rifle version. From my experience they are plenty accurate for about anything you would use it for. Dad has one that will group 5rnds that can be covered with a silver dollar at 100yds. The ones I have used are a bit older and are only marked for the .223 round and without checking with Ruger, I wouldn't run any 5.56 through it though.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I disagree with everyone else. I can't argue the reliability of a decent-good AR, and yes parts are plentiful etc, and yes they are accurate. Nothing bad to say about an AR. I also am very much a fan of the mini 14..especially the ranch rifle version. From my experience they are plenty accurate for about anything you would use it for. Dad has one that will group 5rnds that can be covered with a silver dollar at 100yds. The ones I have used are a bit older and are only marked for the .223 round and without checking with Ruger, I wouldn't run any 5.56 through it though.

I can certainly agree concerning the ranch hand model. Very solid and well built rifle.
    I would stop for ammo twice a year at a Wal-Mart in Paoli and they had one there for 757.00
    I almost bought it last year but now that ship has sailed.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Good info here. I was leaning toward the AR simply my due to the parts availability and mags interchangeability. Seems like the majority have the same opinion.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Gotta agree the ar has to be the better rifle, until libs get involved. I do love my mini30, but it is not a go to war rifle.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    NFkPZCPl.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Greg Ellifritz did a good write up on them a while back.

https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/hating-on-the-ruger-mini-14

EDIT: This point is what breaks it for me:

3) You can’t buy factory parts or repair the Mini-14 yourself. Speaking of broken parts, every time you break something on your Mini-14, you will have to send the entire gun back to the factory. The factory won’t sell most critical repair parts, even to certified armorers. With an AR-15, you can buy any part you want and learn how to install it after watching a 10-minute YouTube video. That can’t happen with the Ruger.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I agree with other on here. The AR15 IS the way to go. While the mini 14's action is a byproduct of the firearms genius and legend John Garand and functions impeccably. It is hard to beat Eugene Stoners design and function of the AR platform. Just my :twocents:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

any thoughts?

The mini-14 system isn't even in the same ballpark of reliability as the stoner AR15 system.

But yes, a quality M4gery is a far better rifle, far more reliable, and far more accurate than a mini-14.

I wouldn't bother with a springfield AR15. If you want cheap as cheap gets, PSA or S&W Sport II. If you want life-and-liberty, get a BCM, Colt, or FN.

Top Bottom