Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Mini 14 tacticool vs M4

I have a Mini 14 tactical with flash suppressor I bought new 7 years ago. Picked up 4 ruger 20 round oem mags and two 10 founders. This is the model made after the retool of the machines with the thicker barrel.

wondering if I should trade it in for an m4 style rifle like a saint. Only thing keeping me from doing so is the logic the mini style system is more reliable then direct gas impingement. It runs cleaner.

any thoughts?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clfergus View Post
    I have a Mini 14 tactical with flash suppressor I bought new 7 years ago. Picked up 4 ruger 20 round oem mags and two 10 founders. This is the model made after the retool of the machines with the thicker barrel.

wondering if I should trade it in for an m4 style rifle like a saint. Only thing keeping me from doing so is the logic the mini style system is more reliable then direct gas impingement. It runs cleaner.

any thoughts?
    If you had to choose between a Mini-14 and an AR... AR hands down. Parts are plentiful and mags are cheap.

Unless you have a burning desire to be on the A-Team
    Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.

Quote Originally Posted by GPIA7R View Post
    And if it could explode in the general direction of my mouth, that'd be even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by indiucky View Post
    But to be fair to me the cock was in the down position....

User Info Menu

Hands down I like the AR platform better. That said I have always been on the B team at best. Historically the Mini platform has been harder to get as accurate as the AR platform but with the AR constantly on a hit list for politicians I can see the advantage of having a mini 14 in the collection.

I know that's not really informative, I really just posted to work in my "B-team" joke.
    Putting firearms' contribution back in our history makes a more complete telling. Teaching marksmanship in that context deepens the understanding. Revere's Riders, because history involved guns!

Plinker

User Info Menu

The AR platform is going to be more accurate hands down. I don't think you'll see much more reliability in the mini platform, if any.

Having said that, I'd keep the mini. I wouldn't count on getting much value from the mini to put toward the saint. Economically speaking I'd keep what you have, unless you just want an AR and don't mind spending another $600 on one.

User Info Menu

AR all the way, I tried to love a Mini twice now and it just isn't ideal. And I love the A team so it saddens me but dump it for an AR.
    Improvidus Apto quod Victum

User Info Menu

Porque no los dos?
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

AR is much more accurate, cheaper mags, you can add about anything to an AR even a kitchen sink as a rail accessory if you want to.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JollyMon View Post
    If you had to choose between a Mini-14 and an AR... AR hands down. Parts are plentiful and mags are cheap.

Unless you have a burning desire to be on the A-Team

This sums it up. While Im a huge Ruger fan, the minis are a train wreck compared to ARs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

Master

User Info Menu

I disagree with everyone else. I can't argue the reliability of a decent-good AR, and yes parts are plentiful etc, and yes they are accurate. Nothing bad to say about an AR. I also am very much a fan of the mini 14..especially the ranch rifle version. From my experience they are plenty accurate for about anything you would use it for. Dad has one that will group 5rnds that can be covered with a silver dollar at 100yds. The ones I have used are a bit older and are only marked for the .223 round and without checking with Ruger, I wouldn't run any 5.56 through it though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    I disagree with everyone else. I can't argue the reliability of a decent-good AR, and yes parts are plentiful etc, and yes they are accurate. Nothing bad to say about an AR. I also am very much a fan of the mini 14..especially the ranch rifle version. From my experience they are plenty accurate for about anything you would use it for. Dad has one that will group 5rnds that can be covered with a silver dollar at 100yds. The ones I have used are a bit older and are only marked for the .223 round and without checking with Ruger, I wouldn't run any 5.56 through it though.
    I can certainly agree concerning the ranch hand model. Very solid and well built rifle.
    I would stop for ammo twice a year at a Wal-Mart in Paoli and they had one there for 757.00
    I almost bought it last year but now that ship has sailed.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast