Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Got the Skinner in today. Need to hit the range....

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    "You only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent"-Fundamentals of chess 1883

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger_Ronin View Post
    Got the Skinner in today. Need to hit the range....

I suspect you are going to like that Skinner sight!

I use them on a couple of Marlin 94 levers in 44mag. On one, the factory front sight worked fine. On another, I had to replace the front sight and file it down a bit. Just something to be aware of and prepared for when you are working on getting it sighted.

One of my favorite deer guns is a Winchester 94 with a Marbles tang mounted peep.

Peeps are still my favorite sight for Indiana deer hunting....they just plain work for me!

For zero on 30-30, I just split the difference and go with 75yds....covers most anything out to 125 with no compensating...past that, I hold a little high but not much....works well in my experience...YMMV.

Enjoy the rifle!

Despite all the advances over the last 130 years or so, I still enjoy hunting most with a lever gun....especially with peeps!!

User Info Menu

Oh, and a little orange never hurt the old eyes. Easy to lose a brass bead on a brown deer in the fall. Birchwood-Casey paint pens for the win!

Plinker

User Info Menu

You will love the Skinner. I went with the Alaskan with a brass front and rear, they really fit the looks and capabilities of a 30-30 lever gun. Nice Choice!

User Info Menu

Got to love the ghost ring. I used a Lyman on both of mine. XS on the pistol carbines.

I zero at 50, one pencil-width high. Puts me at 0 at 100 yards, and 2.5" low at 150.

If you only have access to the short range, a 21 yard zero will be 2" high at 100
    School of the Sword of No Sword

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    Got to love the ghost ring. I used a Lyman on both of mine. XS on the pistol carbines.

I zero at 50, one pencil-width high. Puts me at 0 at 100 yards, and 2.5" low at 150.

If you only have access to the short range, a 21 yard zero will be 2" high at 100
    Nice local outdoor range with 15, 30, 50, 100, & 200 yard bays. DNR property so it's free, and has really nice benches.

I have settled on 50 for zero, and MAY leave it a bit high at that distance instead of getting a taller post. Depends on height difference.

User Info Menu

PM incoming.

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar

User Info Menu

I seriously thought I'd never see the day we could hunt deer here with a 30 30. This thread does my heart good.
    Beto is one of "Those" people that you hope to one day be able to throat punch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeadeyeChrista'sdad View Post
    I seriously thought I'd never see the day we could hunt deer here with a 30 30. This thread does my heart good.
    And my freezer even better

User Info Menu

Update: made it to the range yesterday. 6" high @ 50y. New front post on the way. Should have it next week. This rifle is an absolute joy to shoot.

Side note: I found a new nail polish I like... For touching up front sight beads.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast