Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

30-30 zero recommendation

This spring I acquired from a family estate a mint JM Marlin 30aw 30-30 lever. I have not extensively used this caliber enough to determine a fair distance with which to hunt (deer). I am not inclined to take ANY shot farther than 150-200 for ethical and topographical reasons. My farthest shooting lane in mid-late season will be about 125. The former distances will be ONLY if i am in a particular area adjacent to a beanfield, in which case i take an m77 30-06. I rarely sit in this stand.

I digress...My primary distances will be 40-100 yards. The question is, do I zero @ 25 or 50? I haven't chose an ammo yet, so no BC to punch in the calculator. Just trying to get a feel of others experience. I'm leaning toward 50y zero. What say you all?

I should add this is an iron sights only rifle. Its tapped and drilled, but I like a good front bead in deer season. Pics for your viewing pleasure...

"You only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent"-Fundamentals of chess 1883

User Info Menu

Iíve shot thousands of rounds [QUOTE=Ruger_Ronin;8044182]This spring I acquired from a family estate a mint JM Marlin 30aw 30-30 lever. I have not extensively used this caliber enough to determine a fair distance with which to hunt (deer). I am not inclined to take ANY shot farther than 150-200 for ethical and topographical reasons. My farthest shooting lane in mid-late season will be about 125. The former distances will be ONLY if i am in a particular area adjacent to a beanfield, in which case i take an m77 30-06. I rarely sit in this stand.

I digress...My primary distances will be 40-100 yards. The question is, do I zero @ 25 or 50? I haven't chose an ammo yet, so no BC to punch in the calculator. Just trying to get a feel of others experience. I'm leaning toward 50y zero. What say you all?

i shoot 150 gr exclusively and have 100 yrds zeros on all my .30 WCF.
    "See you on the Range"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper Jim View Post
    i shoot 150 gr exclusively and have 100 yrds zeros on all my .30 WCF.
    With irons or scope?

User Info Menu

Man, I think 50 is your sweet spot.

30-30 Ballistics Chart & Coefficient GunData.org
    I'm gonna, riiiide 'till I can't no more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sigblitz View Post
    Man, I think 50 is your sweet spot.

30-30 Ballistics Chart & Coefficient GunData.org
    Agreed. Good looking on the chart. Plan on running some data through my calculator once I decide on ammo.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

If you use 150-170gr bullets and sight it in at 50 yards you will be good to go from 10-120 yards before you have any major changes in elevation. At 150 yards it's around a 4" hold over at 200 yards around 10" hold over.

I'd stay within 150 yards for best results hunting or target shooting.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger_Ronin View Post
    With irons or scope?
    Both
    "See you on the Range"

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar

User Info Menu

I love seeing old cowboy movies where our hero gives a gnat a haircut at a quarter mile with his trusty 30 30. And I still remember sighting in my Dad's first with him. Loop city! LOL. The '"Baby" was still plenty good medicine a few years ago when they first opened it up.
    I hear They call him Flipper. Yes... yes, I'm serious.

User Info Menu

I would sight it at 50 and leave it at that. Have shot a lot of 30-30, but am more inclined to the 32-40 and 32 WS.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Plinker

User Info Menu

You can make the argument for a sight in using the max point blank range technique. Not saying that 50 yards isn't a good idea with the iron sights, but if you're using a scope consider a zero that's 200 yards, 3 inches high at 100 yards. The theory behind this is you can hold over target at any effective range (230 yards) and still hit within a 6 inch circle. At some distances you'll be 3 inches high and at some distances you'll be 3 inches low. Won't have to estimate unknown distances in the field. I've found this website to be interesting in the past.
    If you're certain you'll be limited to 100 yards or less, I'd zero at 100. From 40-100 that's less than a few inches differences and would be a dead deer.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast