• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I just acquired a cz Brno mauser and would appreciate a little help in knowing more about it. Really just a Mauser action at this point, it's in a Sporter stock and been rebarreled in 308. Not a collector item, just a nice old bolt gun that will probably be relegated to deer duty. I can read 4459 with what appears to be an N underneath. Any help is appreciated.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's a beauty! Looks like probably a late 1950's, early 1960's build. I've recently come to love the old sporters (not bubba taking a hacksaw to the barrel and stock and calling it good). Nice find!

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Well, I know what gun I'm using for deer hunting this season. This thing is definitely a shooter. Prone in the woods facing downhill in an uncomfortable position, I was able to achieve pretty good groups. Worst of the day was the 150 Hornady American Whitetail which produced about 4" at 50 yards. As expected, best of the bunch was the 175 gn SMK federal at about .5" at 50. A very close second (and the round I will use in the field) was the 168 gn Hornady amax at .75" at 50. I am sure I can do better in a proper shooting position, but this certainly gives a great place to start.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Not much of the original VZ24 left but that is a fine looking deer rifle and .308 caliber is a bonus. Not surprised it shoots well. Great find! :yesway:

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Agreed. The action is probably all that's left. Not a historical or collector piece. But certainly a sweet shooter that's going to get some time in the woods and hopefully some meat in the freezer.

Top Bottom