Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Mauser id help needed

I just acquired a cz Brno mauser and would appreciate a little help in knowing more about it. Really just a Mauser action at this point, it's in a Sporter stock and been rebarreled in 308. Not a collector item, just a nice old bolt gun that will probably be relegated to deer duty. I can read 4459 with what appears to be an N underneath. Any help is appreciated.

User Info Menu

Sounds like it would have originally been a VZ-24 or VZ-24/47 in 7.92x57 (8mm). Got any pics?

Plinker

User Info Menu

Plinker

User Info Menu

Agree with DoggyDaddy. VZ-24

User Info Menu

That's a beauty! Looks like probably a late 1950's, early 1960's build. I've recently come to love the old sporters (not bubba taking a hacksaw to the barrel and stock and calling it good). Nice find!

Plinker

User Info Menu

Yes, it is a well done conversion. I can't wait to shoot it. Probably tomorrow.

Plinker

User Info Menu

And it's topped with a Weaver k6 60b. Probably from the 50''s or 60's as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edwea View Post
    And it's topped with a Weaver k6 60b. Probably from the 50's as well.
    Sweet. Weaver was the **** back in the day. Look forward to hearing a range report.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Well, I know what gun I'm using for deer hunting this season. This thing is definitely a shooter. Prone in the woods facing downhill in an uncomfortable position, I was able to achieve pretty good groups. Worst of the day was the 150 Hornady American Whitetail which produced about 4" at 50 yards. As expected, best of the bunch was the 175 gn SMK federal at about .5" at 50. A very close second (and the round I will use in the field) was the 168 gn Hornady amax at .75" at 50. I am sure I can do better in a proper shooting position, but this certainly gives a great place to start.

User Info Menu

Not much of the original VZ24 left but that is a fine looking deer rifle and .308 caliber is a bonus. Not surprised it shoots well. Great find!

Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 press 1 to talk to someone now or text 838255 available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast