• ...and so much more!
  • Rburney

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    Avon
    I have a Steyr M95 carbine that appears to have some unusual features. It is a 1915 model with no import marks. It is still in the original 8x50 configuration. Things that seem unusual are the long rifle sights, both side and bottom sling swivels. Plugged hole in the stock that lines up with the rear barrel band of the long rifle version. This appears to be a long rifle that was cut down. Can anyone shed some light on this rifle. My other Steyr M95 appears to have been made as a carbine as it is a text book cavalry carbine according to several websites. The rifle in question is the bottom rifle in the photos.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The M95 was originally adopted in 3 basic versions; rifle, short rifle, and carbine. The rifle intended for infantry, the short rifle for support troops like engineers, etc., and the carbine for cavalry.

There are a still larger number of variations beyond that with different sling swivel arrangements, stacking pins, and other things. Numerous enough that it all becomes confusing.

Adding to all of that, they were rebuilt post-WWI with a mixture of parts and some rifles cut down to make short rifles, or carbines, and even carbines rebuilt into short rifles!

To give you an idea how confusing it all gets, there are different designations for short rifle, carbine, carbine-short rifle, and short rifle-carbine. (Repetierstutzen, Repetierkarabiner, Repetier-Karabinerstutzen, and Repetier-Stutzenkarabiner.) There are also things like Repetierkarabine mit oberem Stutzenring or Repetier-Karabinerstutzen mit Verschlussvariante and more!

I don't think I understand the variations well enough, but I can tell you that according to this web site, the principal difference between the carbine and the short rifle is that the carbine only has sling swivels on the side, and the short rifle has sling swivels on both the side and the bottom. That would seem to indicate that your bottom example is some variation of a short rifle configuration. I would agree that it began life as a rifle, but was subsequently modified.
    Mannlicher M95 Austro-Hungary Infantry Rifle and Carbine

If I understand it all correctly, and I'm not sure I do, your bottom example is a Repetier-Karabinerstutzen and your middle example is a Repetierkarabine mit Stutzenring.

Last edited:

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    OP, three very nice rifles you have there. Good stuff :yesway:

I find it amusing (and kinda cool) that the two contributors to this thread have both sold me an M95 within the past 5 years or so. :ingo:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    OP, three very nice rifles you have there. Good stuff :yesway:

I find it amusing (and kinda cool) that the two contributors to this thread have both sold me an M95 within the past 5 years or so. :ingo:

LOL!

I have ended up getting another one since then, too cool of a gun and too much history all wrapped up in one. Ironically, my trip to Europe that caused me to sell the guns I did really stoked my interest in the First World War, which has led me to find other examples of most of the things I sold to pay for the trip.

I found it at an auction in Pendleton for $200. I wish I would have had more money at that one, a Polish Radom pistol went for $300 at the same auction after I had already spent what I had on the M95!

2wOuz6m.jpg

X0mwTTP.jpg

dPp31GD.jpg

qwH6jtH.jpg
    bQnrXMD.jpg
    8IYu2ne.jpg
    B1WGF97.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They are cool guns! I just needed more room in the safe and I only had the two (long rifle and carbine) in that caliber, so really that's about all I based my decision on. :)

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    They are neat rifles. I still have the two you guys sold me plus another. I will have to try and post a picture sometime soon. I really like the straight bolt and it's a fairly unusual caliber which is interesting.

Rob63 that M95 long rifle you bought was a steal at that price. Excellent find! :yesway:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a carbine in 8x56r.
    Still have some of the original nazi stamped ammo in clips.
    It's a hard kickin' little carbine and a fireball comes out the muzzle. :):

Top Bottom