Join INGunOwners For Free

Thread: Bergara 14-HMR?

User Info Menu

Bergara 14-HMR?

Had a chance to hold one of these the other day. What a nice feeling rifle. The stock reminded me of a magpul and the trigger break at 2 lbs was amazing.

suppose to be targeted to the hunter and bench shooter as an all in one rifle at 9.5 lbs.

anyone have one of these?

User Info Menu

Had one in 6.5 Creedmoor...barrel is a bit slow on velocity at the given 22” length (I had a 18” 6.5 Creedmoor that shot just as fast with the same lot ammo), but it was a good shooter with a decent factory trigger and represents the way a factory 700 action should have evolved.

Very good value in a factory rifle that will be used for paper/steel targets and hunting. Wish they’d make a 18-20” 223 Wylde with 1:7 barrel...

There’s an 18” HMR on Gunbroker made from an HMR mini-chassis and a Ridge SP barreled action and allegedly will be a factory option in the near future.
    "'Gun guys' can find a way to get butthurt about just about anything."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by avboiler11 View Post
    Had one in 6.5 Creedmoor...barrel is a bit slow on velocity at the given 22” length (I had a 18” 6.5 Creedmoor that shot just as fast with the same lot ammo), but it was a good shooter with a decent factory trigger and represents the way a factory 700 action should have evolved.

Very good value in a factory rifle that will be used for paper/steel targets and hunting. Wish they’d make a 18-20” 223 Wylde with 1:7 barrel...

There’s an 18” HMR on Gunbroker made from an HMR mini-chassis and a Ridge SP barreled action and allegedly will be a factory option in the near future.
    Explain to me the logic on the slowness of velocity. I get that there is a specific muzzle velocity for different lengths and ammo. I am just curious for which application the slowness factor is a big issue. I don't have much knowledge in this area. Are we talking 1000 yards out for long range shooting?

I would probably hunt deer and elk at the biggest with the 6.5 Creed and maybe shoot steel out to 500 tops.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clfergus View Post
    Explain to me the logic on the slowness of velocity.
    IIRC, factory Hornady 140gr ammo (Amax Match, ELD-M, American Gunner, BLACK) was in the ballpark of 2650fps from my 22" HMR; I had a 18" Criterion barrel on a Remington 700 action and got similar velocity.

The reality, however, is 100fps makes absolutely zero distance for hunting or banging steel with a 6.5 Creedmoor inside 500 yards. Beyond that, you'll notice increased drop and wind drift, but still be doing better than most any 308.

TL;DR - I wouldn't worry about it for your uses.
    "'Gun guys' can find a way to get butthurt about just about anything."

User Info Menu

When I first saw the title, I thought "Hornady Magnum Rimfire" and wondered about the new round. Then I looked it up and found "Hunting/Match Rifle. REALLY! Sorry if I am easily confused.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I use one with 22 inch barrel for high power rifle silhouette, an offhand match from 200-500 meters. As said, good balance, good trigger, good accuracy. It is designed to shoot MOA or better with handloads, not 1/4 inch groups. I expect to take deer with mine next month. Beanfield & cornfield shots from a rest in a ground blind should be easy.