• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Had a chance to hold one of these the other day. What a nice feeling rifle. The stock reminded me of a magpul and the trigger break at 2 lbs was amazing.

suppose to be targeted to the hunter and bench shooter as an all in one rifle at 9.5 lbs.

anyone have one of these?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Had one in 6.5 Creedmoor...barrel is a bit slow on velocity at the given 22” length (I had a 18” 6.5 Creedmoor that shot just as fast with the same lot ammo), but it was a good shooter with a decent factory trigger and represents the way a factory 700 action should have evolved.

Very good value in a factory rifle that will be used for paper/steel targets and hunting. Wish they’d make a 18-20” 223 Wylde with 1:7 barrel...

There’s an 18” HMR on Gunbroker made from an HMR mini-chassis and a Ridge SP barreled action and allegedly will be a factory option in the near future.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Had one in 6.5 Creedmoor...barrel is a bit slow on velocity at the given 22” length (I had a 18” 6.5 Creedmoor that shot just as fast with the same lot ammo), but it was a good shooter with a decent factory trigger and represents the way a factory 700 action should have evolved.

Very good value in a factory rifle that will be used for paper/steel targets and hunting. Wish they’d make a 18-20” 223 Wylde with 1:7 barrel...

There’s an 18” HMR on Gunbroker made from an HMR mini-chassis and a Ridge SP barreled action and allegedly will be a factory option in the near future.

Explain to me the logic on the slowness of velocity. I get that there is a specific muzzle velocity for different lengths and ammo. I am just curious for which application the slowness factor is a big issue. I don't have much knowledge in this area. Are we talking 1000 yards out for long range shooting?

I would probably hunt deer and elk at the biggest with the 6.5 Creed and maybe shoot steel out to 500 tops.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Explain to me the logic on the slowness of velocity.

IIRC, factory Hornady 140gr ammo (Amax Match, ELD-M, American Gunner, BLACK) was in the ballpark of 2650fps from my 22" HMR; I had a 18" Criterion barrel on a Remington 700 action and got similar velocity.

The reality, however, is 100fps makes absolutely zero distance for hunting or banging steel with a 6.5 Creedmoor inside 500 yards. Beyond that, you'll notice increased drop and wind drift, but still be doing better than most any 308.

TL;DR - I wouldn't worry about it for your uses.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    When I first saw the title, I thought "Hornady Magnum Rimfire" and wondered about the new round. Then I looked it up and found "Hunting/Match Rifle. REALLY! Sorry if I am easily confused. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I use one with 22 inch barrel for high power rifle silhouette, an offhand match from 200-500 meters. As said, good balance, good trigger, good accuracy. It is designed to shoot MOA or better with handloads, not 1/4 inch groups. I expect to take deer with mine next month. Beanfield & cornfield shots from a rest in a ground blind should be easy.

Top Bottom