• ...and so much more!
  • ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Lightweight.
    There's a balance between function and performance and in the world of combat the lightweight is a better option. The downside to lightweight is stringing when the barrel heats up. In combat that may mean 2-3" at 100 yards, a very respectable size when your concern is a human. Anyone who has taken a real 1-3 day carbine course knows the value of a maneuverable rifle.
    But don't be mad when your not getting 5 shot one hole groups with that rifle.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    ^^^^What he said, I’m using the BCM ELW’s exclusively now. The .gov profile and the HB’s have long since been relegated to the safe. The lighter profiles allow faster transitions between targets up close, and still provide acceptable accuracy at range. I took a long range patrolling class with my LMT MRP, and another with the BCM ELW, hands down difference in portability, and usability. I still have a couple .gov 6920’s, and some Colt HB’s , but the lighter platforms are what are seeing the training and usage time.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would also go light weight.

I had a bull barreled 16" and an 18" heavy. Very accurate at the cost of poor balance and added weight. Things took forever to cool down as well.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I feel the enhanced lightweight barrels have most of the functionality of the govt profile without the weight. BCM ELW, Faxon Gunner, BA Hanson, etc. I personally wouldn’t do a pencil barrel unless trying to be super weight conscious.

That being said, the Colt SOCOM barrels are tackdrivers. If you are wanting something extremely accurate the extra weight might be worth it.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I like the 11.5" BCM fluted lightweight. A good compromise of weight (entire gun with scope = 6-1/4 lbs) and accuracy (~2-3 MOA).

Last edited:

leftyM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Oregon City
    Kind of depends on the kind of shooting you do. A hbar takes longer to heat up so it maintains accuracy longer but it also takes longer to cool down. A lightweight barrel is the opposite. If you plan to carry often or shoot standing I prefer a lightweight. If shooting off the bench who cares right. Or go in between and get a fluted barrel more cooling surface a little lighter than an hbar

2Alife15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2018
    Boonville
    You should really look into the Hanson profile by Ballistic Advantage! It's a taper profile so most of the weight is near the receiver where you want it the most. Makes for a midweight barrel, and it really balances out a build.

Top Bottom