• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tapout4892

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2016
    New Albany
    I’m thinking of either building a ar or buying one. Building kinda thinking of palmetto state. But don’t know much about them. Or I thought about buying a rock river entry tactical. Kinda just seeing what people think or their opinions are.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I’m thinking of either building a ar or buying one. Building kinda thinking of palmetto state. But don’t know much about them. Or I thought about buying a rock river entry tactical. Kinda just seeing what people think or their opinions are.

If you build, you'll need some guidance. No, it's not hard for someone with basic mechanical skills, but still some things AR aren't logical.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    When you piece together PSA (or anyone's) parts you assume all culpability when the rifle doesn't run correctly. For a few hundred dollars more you "gain" a warranty that allows you peace of mind that someone else will deal with the issue should one arise.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    PSA is great stuff. They have the market on lock right now. Its the way I would go if I was wanting something new.

They arnt hard to put together if your mechanical. Plenty of vids out there if you get stuck. Buy with confidence.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    A word of caution...if you decide to build, be careful because these things tend to multiply. I went from one to eight in a matter of (seemingly) days.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you build, you'll need some guidance. No, it's not hard for someone with basic mechanical skills, but still some things AR aren't logical.

Full disclosure:
    I spent time in the military using the M16, so I started with a working knowledge of the platform.
    I did NOT spend time in any conflict, so my experience with the M16/AR15 platform was limited to range time and qualifications.

Now, my opinion on build or buy.
    It's been pointed out above that if you build you own it, meaning no-one will warranty that firearm.
    All this being said, my vote is to build.
    I did, and I don't regret it one bit.

For my first build I had zero help aside from a tutorial posted on AR15.com.
    My first lower took me about 45 minutes to complete. I can put one together now in about 15 minutes.
    My first upper took about the same, but I still take my time on them.
    My first build ran like a factory built rifle from the start, and still does.

Now I will admit, I'm mechanically inclined.
    I've been disassembling and reassembling all sorts of things for as long as I can remember, but AR15's are NOT difficult to build.
    They remind me a lot of the old "Erector-Set" toys of my youth.
    They are nothing more than parts, pieces, springs, and pins.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    A word of caution...if you decide to build, be careful because these things tend to multiply. I went from one to eight in a matter of (seemingly) days.

I keep hearing you guys and gals saying this like its a bad thing..there are much worse addictions in my book.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    That's right, keep tellin' yourself that.
    Be sure to tell the wife too...

I refer to the song "99 problems" and no offense meant Kelly. My girl doesn't mind what I do. Doesn't ***** about anything really. And besides, they dont eat unless you feed them is what I always say

djlaundry2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I say build it with psa parts. There fine. Or even shop around. You might build it at a better price then psa. Its what i do. And well if you dont like something change it. Then you have spare parts or your next build.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No Regrets here. Love all 3 of mine.

I have built up a few. If you run it rally hard it "May" or "May" not like it. I had 2 that ran OK but I never ran them hard.

Just my personal experience. I will not use them as a source anymore. Way too many other reliable suppliers out there at least for now.

We have been to there store front in Ermo a couple of times. Very nice place. Staff was cool. OK pricing and a lot to choose from.

Top Bottom