• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccha8778

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    The Region
    I'm currently researching a budget bolt-action hunting rifle and have come across the Savage 110 and the Howa 1500 both in .308. Does anyone have any personal recommendations of these two rifles or another budget hunting rifle? TIA

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had a Savage 110 gifted to me. It would stack bullets in the same hole. Was like new with Nikon Monarch 4-12 on it. Sold it for tree fity at the valpo show.

If I had 8 Bill's to spend I'd spend most of it on glass and whatever rifle came up at a great price. Savage, TC, Ruger all good to go.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Ideally under $800.

I'm assuming that budget includes optic? In that case I would suggest handling the following in addition to the Howa and Savage before you decide: Browning A-bolt, Mossberg Patriot, Thompson Center Venture, Bergarra B 14, Winchester XPR, Tikka T3, Steyr Pro Hunter. The latter two will probably be harder to find locally for that price but can be found without too much effort online.

If that is just the budget for the rifle, then you can probably also add the Browning X-bolt and Ruger Hawkeye.

Either way, try as many as you can and see what fits and feels the best for you. Also, keep in mind that the first corner that is usually cut on a "budget" rifle is the stock, with cheap plastic being the frequent choice. Of the two options you specifically asked about, I have owned both and would probably be a toss up if I were limited to just those two. I like the Savage action and stock options slightly better in that price range but prefer the Howa trigger since I don't really care for the Accu-Trigger.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    ^ Good points about the stocks!

I will openly admit I’m not a polymer fan, neither is my wife (the 110 is technically her). I figured there would be a 70% chance that the stock would get replaced. But we have both been pleasantly surprised by it. Savage added rubber texture points in all of the right spots and it a very solid feel to it.

It also has the accustock and accufit features (on top of the accutrigger). The trigger is crisp, probably right around 3.5lbs. The adjustments in the stock are a nice feature (and it came with all of the different fits). It’s the “accustock” that I’m impressed by though, it’s like an aluminum chassis inside the stock. It gives it a very solid feel. No flex that you sometimes get with the cheaper stocks.

I ordered it as a blem from KY Gun Co. I paid $533 shipped (FFL fees not included) and have a $50 rebate to send in. I can’t find the blem, but there was an issue with the magazine missing, which Savage corrected on Monday when they put a magazine in the mail for me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    With $800 I'd buy a Vortex, mount, and rings ... and then something like a Ruger American to sit under it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO the cheapest bolt action Id get

700 ADL synth.

I bought a well used 760 in..35 rem and slapped a minty Leupold 4x on it. Dandy rig fir 700.

Already have a 700 ADL synth , also purchased used but like new....back when supposed no quality issues It wears a VX1 3-9x I got on sale.

Also like 270 said.....Steyr Prohunter. Heavy rig....but comfy in '06 off the bench. Retting in CA had em on sale for 600. Pic rail was 70 and soft pad another 25. Threw on a cheap Redfield Rev 3-9x 50mm for another 225 . Burris sig rings I had. Pushing a K.

Tank. But shoots ok and was bought for crap weather hunting. I dont recommend stuff i dont use.

800 is a decent budget. Your options are many. New and used.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Budget rifles can be great....also might require some mods as most of them have crappy stocks.

Almost bought a 783 in .450 BM.

Savage axis I bought had flexy stock and ergonomics sucked. Had to epoxy stiffen forend and then add cheekriser. Was a good shooter after trigger work. Bedding lug was crooked from factory but a brass hammer squared it in stock and all was well.

Would a newb know that was a prob? I dunno. Most bambislayers never touch their guns for mods or maintenance. A lot of them do, and shouldnt LOL

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A 700ADL synth comes w POS plastic trigger guard nowadays. A decent steel replacement is 35 bucks.

If you get an older one w Walker trigger you might want to change it.....more money.

I like the fit and feel of the older cheap synth stocks Remington used. They had checkering. And could be stiffened if need be w epoxy in forend hollows.

Bought my first one at Galyans. After minor tweaks and handloads it was a half inch rifle at 100. Current one does .75 w factory varmint ammo. Inch w deer factory ammo. Some minor mods.

Am at 400 in it w no scope

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some budget guns like the Axis are long action length, even when chambered in short action cartridges. Savage did that for a stretch in the 110 series too.

Might not bother some folks. Might others

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OP: is your $800 budget inclusive or exclusive of optic?

If it's $800 all in - then you'll want a $400 rifle, a $300 optic, and a $100 mounting system. Keep that in mind.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    OP: is your $800 budget inclusive or exclusive of optic?

If it's $800 all in - then you'll want a $400 rifle, a $300 optic, and a $100 mounting system. Keep that in mind.

An extra $100 spent on the rifle will get you more value than it will on the optic or mount.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A handful of years ago I had planned to go on an Antelope hunt with some family. In preparation, I bought a Savage model 16, (I think..I'd have to look) stainless with synthetic stock in .300 WSM and threw a Weaver Nitrex 3.5-15x50 scope on it. I like the .300wsm but it is a bit pricey and finding ammo on the shelf in any box store is rare. But the ballistics are claimed to be very much like its big brother the .300 Win Mag

Top Bottom