What would you do with a stripped lower?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KWIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2019
    IN
    So I picked up a stripped lower cheap and I am not sure yet what to do with it.
    I already have an AR 5.56 rifle.

So any suggestions as to what I should build with it?

*I think a 9mm Carbine / rifle would be very cool but that looks like it gets expensive ?

*Another 5.56 rifle ?

*A 5.56 Pistol?

*Stash it away?

I am a mechanical guy and have always wanted to build something like this and I have the tools to deal with it.
    Thought or ideas?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If you only have 1 chambered in 556, I'd build a second one for a backup. Always good to have at least 2 in the same caliber.

On a multi cal lower(556/223) there are a ton of options.

If you want a distance rifle 6.5grendel is a great round. If you'd prefer a short distance thumper you could go with 450bushmaster, 458 socom, or 50 Beowulf.

Plenty of other calibers you could go with as well

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    9mm isn't particularly expensive to build. They're pretty fun IMHO (especially suppressed) and would be a nice addition.

Only problem is the lower is a multi cal so would have to buy a Magwell adapter to run 9mm

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why have just 1.
    With all the options available build it to whatever spec you desire.
    I resisted doing the 9mm thing for a long time. But once I went there I am glad I did

KWIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2019
    IN
    Thanks for the feedback.

I have a Hipoint 995 / 9mm Carbine and it IS a lot of fun, my thought was to build something like that but higher quality.

Another thought is a .22LR

I like the thought of a long range toy, need to look into whats available in larger calibers and invest in a good scope.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    9mm ARs don't have to be expensive but that can happen quickly, especially if you aren't shopping for uber cheap deals or value quality over price.

Could put a nice 2-stage match trigger for slow fire in one and a nice single for action sports in the other. Nice thing is you don't have to dedicate it to one caliber.

I kinda like the .50 beowulf.
    50beo flash.jpg

Only problem is the lower is a multi cal so would have to buy a Magwell adapter to run 9mm

Not the only option. I have endomags for mine, there are some considerations (Mag-mounted ejector, cost) but they work great.
    https://www.meanarms.com/products/detail/endomag-9mm

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm a bit in this dilemma myself. I have one complete AR (DDM4) and three Aero lowers waiting to be built up into finished items.

I'm allocating my lowers as: 2 carbine lowers, 1 "precision", and 1 "pistol." But they are all built on carbine lowers with carbine extensions. The precision has the A5 setup now (just for the option of heavier buffers for match loads). The Pistol will be a braced carbine lower. Might or might not also do A5 on that one just because it's helpful for short gas from what I gather.

Once you get a couple lowers built up, IMO the uppers are the place to proliferate. Build a light 16" 5.56 upper. Build a heavier 20" rifle upper in 5.56 or 6.5G. Build a short pistol upper in 6.5 or 300BO.

Iron sights on all uppers. Optics on whichever you will run most, according to it's intended use: RDS on short barrels. LPVO on a longer 5.56 gun or a larger optic on a 6.5G.

ETA: I don't like 9mm ARs because I think they are much better platforms to run 9mm on (MPX, Scorpion).

Would something like this work for you, OP?

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    Going to have to side with the ‘tuck it’ crowd. I read into that two ways; but given this is a forum semi-dedicated to firearms...I give this reason.

If you can build a rifle right now and it is not your first one. Save the $$ from the build and grab some more lowers, a few mags each, and maybe an extra BCG.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I built an AR pistol this spring. Really like the 10.5...... so to answer your question, I have a 7.5 barreled upper extra spare waiting to be built

KWIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2019
    IN
    All good stuff.
    Been really thinking the past week or so and am leaning to either "tuck it" away or build a pistol while parts are still plenty and cheap. I guess my question is geared more towards a political question, if they do a ban would a built pistol be effected? And, if not, should I build that pistol now before parts are more expensive and harder to get?

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I still have an Ingo lower in the box it came in. I've got a Larue MBT two stage trigger and I'm thinking maybe a 300blk pistol would be nice but the finances aren't there yet. It's not going anywhere so I'll take my time and see what I decide on later.

Top Bottom