• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have a Ruger 10-22 Mannlicher .22L semi-automatic rifle which I've posted comments in the Rimfire thread about trying to make it work for me b/c of arthritic neck issues.
    I had to get a taller rail, taller rings cantilever style to get the scope to come back toward my eye and up so I didn't have to "scrunch" my neck to look through the scope.
    I ended up with this which was a great improvement:
    v48AuOR.jpg
    qBoNln0.jpg

gnrRAbE.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't know how you are "sized" but I find it hard to believe you need that short of a length of pull. When I am down on a scope my nose is usually touching or very close to my thumb that wraps around the stock. On my AR my nose is very close to the charging handle.

I would like to see a picture of you on that stock looking through the scope. That would help.

For me, I need a longer LOP than most stocks provide but this can be rectified. It's not hard to increase the LOP. And though it's ugly, you can tape foam to the top of the stock to get a good cheek weld.

Just some thoughts not knowing at all what you are dealing with. My point, I guess is you can probably get that 10/22 to work.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have been looking for a bolt action from time to time for a different flavor from the 10-22.
    I decided to buy a lever-action Henry Golden Boy from a member here that I've bought from before.
    I also knew the original owner of the Henry.
    This owner put a nice scope on it and other improvements and posted great range pics with it.
    I thought it would fit the bill for a different flavor from my semi-auto.
    I took it to the range today, but it didn't work for me on so many levels.
    No fault of the rifle, but my neck is the limiting factor.
    My neck was aching after 1 tube of rounds trying to get my neck to line up my eye to be able to see through the scope.
    I also found out I found the lever-action was quite distracting when trying to keep a bead, but that could have just been the distraction of the neck.
    A bolt-action could do the same, and it would always be that way unless I bought the high rail and cantilever style of rings for attaining the greatest height and the capacity to bring the scope back toward my neck.
    I am a little discouraged thinking that I'll not ever find a fit.
    The Ruger 10-22 took swapping out 3 rails to find the correct one & I got lucky that someone sold me the cantilever style of rings that had a lift/height to them.
    Even that was not perfect, but it was an improvement, less painful at least.
    I'll not be able to keep the Henry since it just doesn't work for me b/c I don't want to "reinvent the wheel," like I had to do with the Ruger 10-22.
    I was told to buy a rifle w/o optics and then just add what I needed, but I didn't listen: lesson learned. :dunno:
    mkfGLrM.jpg
    EkbA9zH.jpg

The Henry was sighted by previous owner for 50 yards/150 feet.
    I didn't want to touch the sight and wanted to leave it sighted in for 50 yards since the range pics he had were perfection, so I had to learn to shoot low for the 75 feet I was using, which I couldn't use the crosshairs, which hurt my attempt at accuracy, plus I had a hard time seeing through the scope (b/c of the neck).
    I was only at 75 feet.
    QOSaKs0.jpg

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    You have an unconventional problem with your limited mobility. Since you can't change that, you are going to have to go with an unconventional solution.

You could look for a custom adjustable stock to bring the scope to your eye, instead of your eye to the scope? The below pic demonstrates this - though to the extreme of cost.

You could try something really goofy like shooting left handed, if you have more mobility to that side or try shooting with your non-dominate eye. I am sure we will give you a bunch of crap if we see you shooting like that but, again, if you have a mobility issue, you are going to have to get creative to solve it.

images

Reactions: Leo

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I'm not sure if this would work for you or even be in the right direction but if you mounted an extended eye relief scope in a more forward position on the Henry and removed the leather riser from the stock you might be able to keep your head more erect.

Edit: The leather riser may need to stay on for what I have in mind. I trying to find a way that you don't have to place your head forward and tilt it upright to get within the few inches required by a "normal"scope.

A question for those that know...are there EER scopes made that don't have to be as far away as a pistol scope? Maybe a "ranger" or shotgun scope???

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Appreciate the input.
    What worked better for my Ruger 10/22 was bringing lifting up the scope (higher) with a higher rail, and rings (cantilever style, lifting scope higher), and using a rail that allowed placement of scope back toward my eye/head (as well as higher).
    This helps in me not having to "scrunch" my neck forward and down.
    This pic shows the combination that worked on the Ruger 10/22, unfortunately I don't have a "before" pic, with the other rail & rings.
    nuzAlLf.jpg

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Have you tried a Long Relief Scope so that you don't have to "scrunch your neck forward and down"? Like a Scout Scope? In other words you'd be installing the scope further up the rifle and not placing your eye directly on the scope. I have a Long Relief Scout Scope on my Rossi Lever Action because it has a top shell ejection. Not sure if that would help your neck situation but you might consider it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Have you tried a Long Relief Scope so that you don't have to "scrunch your neck forward and down"? Like a Scout Scope? In other words you'd be installing the scope further up the rifle and not placing your eye directly on the scope. I have a Long Relief Scout Scope on my Rossi Lever Action because it has a top shell ejection. Not sure if that would help your neck situation but you might consider it.

Someone texted me (not pm) and mentioned it this evening.
    I'll have to find a link and read about it and see what rails come with it and that sort of thing.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There used to be intermediatw eye relief scopes too.

In between reg rifle and handgun scopes.
    Usually found on specialty pistola used for varminting.

Higher mag, adjustable objective.

Burris popular. Seen em on Bob Milek Safari Arms and other.

Dunno what values those IER get on fleabay

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You can also quit screwing around w rifle fitment and get an Anschutz Exemplar .22 and run a rifle scope on it. No buttstock to fight....accurate bolt action. You could set it up w rifle IER or EER scope.

Could do same w Contender. But breaking them open to load/ unload is a chore.....single shot

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ran a 2-7x leupold rifle scope for a weekend on an 8" ruger 22/45. Was easy, weird to get close at 4x but safely kept nose away from bolt in cycle. I hung the scope back a bit though

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You can also quit screwing around w rifle fitment and get an Anschutz Exemplar .22 and run a rifle scope on it. No buttstock to fight....accurate bolt action. You could set it up w rifle IER or EER scope.

Could do same w Contender. But breaking them open to load/ unload is a chore.....single shot

I’m going to feel pretty safe guessing the Exemplar isn’t a real option in this case given it’s cost. Cool pistol, but other routes exists without spending a grand.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Ok, Doddg, I was thinking you couldn’t go to the side - your issue is forward for the eye relief.

Yep. Some type of eer scope. Don’t give up on this. A solution exists. Just post your CC# and shipping address, we will get some things headed your way.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Savage did an Exemplar type of pistol (Striker).
    Think they did it in .22 and .22 mag.

Yes an Exemplar aint cheap.
    But they shoot.

And they proly hold their value pretty well.

One can lose a fair amount of money experimenting.
    But that might be justified as part of the learning curve/fun.

Most times there's a loss per episode.
    It does add up.

IHMSA is a dead sport IMHO. There could be deals had.

They are big and bulky, not really "handy".....IMHO a split between rifle and pistol.
    Very limited market. Might help or hurt pricing.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom