Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Stay Picky my Friends

User Info Menu

Thanks! I was just trying to help the OP with a more narrow direction

Quote Originally Posted by Que View Post
    I've banned a couple of people while in church.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Thank you for all the help and advice. I am going to start working on it this weekend.

Stay Picky my Friends

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rburney View Post
    Thank you for all the help and advice. I am going to start working on it this weekend.
    Take lots of pics and maybe start a thread that goes step by step on how you did

Quote Originally Posted by Que View Post
    I've banned a couple of people while in church.

Hop

User Info Menu

I rarely if ever use anything but hot water &/or steam. That one time I used a chemical, it melted the finish on my Mosin Nagant.

I have sat them out in the sun to let the cosmoline rise to the surface then a steaming hot water soaked rag to wipe off the goo.

If you've seen my collection, they've all been cleaned using a hand held Shark steamer with various attachments on the tip; wide steamer pad with cloth cover, concentration nozzle, nozzle with brush.

Revere's Riders Instructor - Master Rifle KD, Master Pistol

NRA Pistol instructor | NRA Rifle instructor | NRA RSO
    Classes and info here: https://www.reveresriders.org/

User Info Menu

I dug around the CMP threads and have done a couple ways: dishwasher worked okay but kind of worried it was too much.
    The gel stripper worked well and mildly cleaning with mineral spirits worked too on stocks I didnt want to fully strip. Yes, I sanded a few but not to the point of a fine grit. I liked keeping the military finish and used raw linseed oil on most then completed with hand rubbed mix Toms 1/3..... think I found it on CMP forum as well.

Here is an M14 walnut stock that had been beat up....sanded it lightly and used some Fiebings leather dye to get that reddened Arsenal look
    6D516772-5B62-44B7-A750-04EF687E27E5.jpg
    Last edited by Sgt7330; 10-29-2019 at 19:45.
    Ecclesiates 12:13

User Info Menu

No need for any harsh chemicals. Plain ol mineral spirits and a little elbow grease will do a good job removing the dirt and crud without raising the grain of the wood. Also won't damage the original finish in most cases.
    Tulta munille! HAKKAA PÄÄLLE

User Info Menu

Refinishing a surplus military rifle takes a little research before you get started. Different manufactures, models and countries had different methods, materials and finishes on the weapons they issued. What may work great on a 1903 might turn a Mosin into a sticky mess. What may clean a Chilean Mauser, might destroy a laminated 98K stock. I would encourage you to research YOUR make/model of rifle and see what works best for that stock material, finish and vintage.

This surplus rifle forum is a treasure of knowledge.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=61&sid=f044a454fdf1b7ae7bdaff02871 67bd1
    Last edited by Old Bear; 10-31-2019 at 10:32.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger......except Bears......Bears will KILL you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
    Old Bear is correct. Lots of good information at the above and the CMP Sites.

I have used Easy Off on a few nasty Chinese SKS stocks with good results. Other types of surplus rifles were cleaned with mineral spirits. Have also used non-chlorinated brake cleaner on a few.

Have run a few stocks through the dishwasher, before the wife banned me from the kitchen during restoration projects. Wives tend to get grumpy when the dishwasher smells like cosmoline.
    I am a Citizen, not a servant....

Before he was the Man in Black, he was the Airman in Air Force Blue.

Hop

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
    Refinishing a surplus military rifle takes a little research before you get started. Different manufactures, models and countries had different methods, materials and finishes on the weapons they issued. What may work great on a 1903 might turn a Mosin into a sticky mess. What may clean a Chilean Mauser, might destroy a laminated 98K stock. I would encourage you to research YOUR make/model of rifle and see what works best for that stock material, finish and vintage.

This surplus rifle forum is a treasure of knowledge.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=61&sid=f044a454fdf1b7ae7bdaff02871 67bd1
    Is that a spin off from the old surplusrifle.com forum?
    Here's the web archive wayback machine from that great old site:
    Collecting and Shooting the Enfield No. 1 Mk III - HISTORY

Revere's Riders Instructor - Master Rifle KD, Master Pistol

NRA Pistol instructor | NRA Rifle instructor | NRA RSO
    Classes and info here: https://www.reveresriders.org/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast