• ...and so much more!
  • Rburney

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    Avon
    This is my first time really cleaning a well used stock. What do you guys use to clean old military stocks? In this case a VZ24. I have heard of folks using easy-off oven cleaner but I am worried that it will be to harsh. I plan on getting all the dirt and grease off the stock and then steam out what dents I can. Then I was planning on using BLO to finish it off. I have been told to cut it with 50% mineral spirits. Does this Sound correct. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    This is my first time really cleaning a well used stock. What do you guys use to clean old military stocks? In this case a VZ24. I have heard of folks using easy-off oven cleaner but I am worried that it will be to harsh. I plan on getting all the dirt and grease off the stock and then steam out what dents I can. Then I was planning on using BLO to finish it off. I have been told to cut it with 50% mineral spirits. Does this Sound correct. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

You are correct about the BLO/Mineral spirits. I have cleaned many old Mauser stocks like this and they come out looking great. On a really grimy stock, I usually spray it down with Greased Lightening cleaner Greased-Lightning® Super Strength Cleaner(Dollar General sells it), then rinse and let air dry.

Next use the BLO/Mineral spirits and 0000 steel wool to scrub the stock in a circular motion, then wipe dry with lint free cloth and let air dry. Repeat as necessary.

I usually finish my Mausers with a BLO, hand rubbed finish, and Tom's 1/3 Wax.

There are several forums out there with ways of doing this and everyone has their own opinion. This link is pretty much how I like to finish my Mausers https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?333941-What-to-use-on-24-47-stock-refinish, but it up to you how you want it to end up.

Good Luck!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I've used Easy Off oven cleaner to strip stocks also. it's kind of gross actually as everything just sort of melts off. But then I just washed with soap and water in a bathtub and it turned out pretty good.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I have used a product called "Simple Green" with good results and it is easy to find anywhere that sells cleaners. It's not too harsh, but it will strip the finish if you keep doing it. You can spray it on a rag and wipe it on, or spray it directly on the stock and wipe it off.

The true key to using BLO is to be patient and really rub it in, let it dry completely before adding anymore. Continue rubbing the stock down periodically while it dries. Depending upon how bad the stock was that you started with, it can take a lot of time to get it to look right. Most people don't want to devote the time to it and end up with something too glossy because they added too much oil and didn't rub it down.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    This is all good advice but IMO the best was to study up on the information the CMP forums have to offer. Guys there have been doing this for YEARS and on priceless firearms. They know their stuff.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    CMP has a site for this.

This is all good advice but IMO the best was to study up on the information the CMP forums have to offer. Guys there have been doing this for YEARS and on priceless firearms. They know their stuff.

just curious, do either of you have a link to a specific forum section or thread over there?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I rarely if ever use anything but hot water &/or steam. That one time I used a chemical, it melted the finish on my Mosin Nagant.

I have sat them out in the sun to let the cosmoline rise to the surface then a steaming hot water soaked rag to wipe off the goo.

If you've seen my collection, they've all been cleaned using a hand held Shark steamer with various attachments on the tip; wide steamer pad with cloth cover, concentration nozzle, nozzle with brush.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I dug around the CMP threads and have done a couple ways: dishwasher worked okay but kind of worried it was too much.
    The gel stripper worked well and mildly cleaning with mineral spirits worked too on stocks I didnt want to fully strip. Yes, I sanded a few but not to the point of a fine grit. I liked keeping the military finish and used raw linseed oil on most then completed with hand rubbed mix Toms 1/3..... think I found it on CMP forum as well.

Here is an M14 walnut stock that had been beat up....sanded it lightly and used some Fiebings leather dye to get that reddened Arsenal look
    6D516772-5B62-44B7-A750-04EF687E27E5.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    No need for any harsh chemicals. Plain ol mineral spirits and a little elbow grease will do a good job removing the dirt and crud without raising the grain of the wood. Also won't damage the original finish in most cases.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Refinishing a surplus military rifle takes a little research before you get started. Different manufactures, models and countries had different methods, materials and finishes on the weapons they issued. What may work great on a 1903 might turn a Mosin into a sticky mess. What may clean a Chilean Mauser, might destroy a laminated 98K stock. I would encourage you to research YOUR make/model of rifle and see what works best for that stock material, finish and vintage.

This surplus rifle forum is a treasure of knowledge.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=61&sid=f044a454fdf1b7ae7bdaff0287167bd1

Last edited:

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw

Old Bear is correct. Lots of good information at the above and the CMP Sites.

I have used Easy Off on a few nasty Chinese SKS stocks with good results. Other types of surplus rifles were cleaned with mineral spirits. Have also used non-chlorinated brake cleaner on a few.

Have run a few stocks through the dishwasher, before the wife banned me from the kitchen during restoration projects. Wives tend to get grumpy when the dishwasher smells like cosmoline. :abused:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Refinishing a surplus military rifle takes a little research before you get started. Different manufactures, models and countries had different methods, materials and finishes on the weapons they issued. What may work great on a 1903 might turn a Mosin into a sticky mess. What may clean a Chilean Mauser, might destroy a laminated 98K stock. I would encourage you to research YOUR make/model of rifle and see what works best for that stock material, finish and vintage.

This surplus rifle forum is a treasure of knowledge.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=61&sid=f044a454fdf1b7ae7bdaff0287167bd1

Is that a spin off from the old surplusrifle.com forum?
    Here's the web archive wayback machine from that great old site:
    Collecting and Shooting the Enfield No. 1 Mk III - HISTORY

Top Bottom