• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Looking to add a lever gun to my collection. Needs to meet the following requirements: .357/.38 spcl, gate loading, NOT tube loading, prefer steel colored receiver over gold/brass, full length (no Maresleg). Heard a lot of bad reviews on a Rossi, seeking something good enough quality to be in the family for a while. Looking to spend $800-ish, second hand ok if someone has one that meets these requirements.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Henry just released their side gate loaders for rifle calibers. I wouldn't think the pistol calibers would be too far behind. Other than waiting, a JM stamped Marlin is a good option. I can't speak for the Uberti's but from what I've heard, they are pretty good. But they are a decent amount over your budget.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Marlin seems to have gotten their act together. I recently purchased one of their newer models in .357, stainless, peep sights, etc, and the fit and finish is good.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    The new miroku Winchesters have excellent fit and finish, and have a tang safety. I’m immensely pleased with mine in .44 mag, and the deer hate it!

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    There's nothing wrong with a Rossi if you're looking for a copy of the Winchester '92. Lots of folks use them in cowboy action shooting.
    The Miroku Winchesters are extremely nice and well made. You can get a Winchester '66, '73, or '92. The Model '66 is a brass frame and looks great.
    Uberti makes great reproductions of the '66, '73, and '92. Most cowboy action shooters use them to compete and put thousands of rounds through them every year. Cimarron Firearms and Taylors & Co. are the two top Uberti importers but EMF does as well.
    The Henry lever action are nice looking and well made, but with the exception of their Henry 1860 Original, none of their guns are a copy of something from history.
    The Marlin lever guns used to be the preferred firearms of cowboy shooters and still have a huge following.
    All of these can be found for you price point if you watch. There's a Uberti '73 in the classifieds right now in .45 Colt for just a little over what you want to spend. That caliber will put a deer down very easily if you do your part.
    You can also watch the classifieds on https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/forum/14-sass-wire-classifieds/ Non-SASS members are allowed to buy off the forum, just no selling.

TLF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Your list seems to add up to a JM stamped Marlin. Find a pre-Remington Marlin in good condition and you will have what you want. Henry makes a fine gun as well but it's just hard to top a real Marlin. Good luck.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    AGarbers is spot on, Uberti lever guns are very good in my experience. My second choice behind original Winchester which you won't find in 38/357 or 45 Colt..

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I have been shooting Marlin levers of every caliber and configuration since 1971. This JM thing is just wrong. If you get one that is made after 2018 you cannot find a better quality made production gun. All mine are fit very well and have the sweetest actions out of the box than anytime in my Marlin history. Sure the transition was a rocky road but the end product we have now is afar better sample than all of my JM. It is not what you read.... irs what you know...

I will be glad to give a Hands On comparison as to why I consider the new Marlins better than anything out there today.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have been shooting Marlin levers of every caliber and configuration since 1971. This JM thing is just wrong. If you get one that is made after 2018 you cannot find a better quality made production gun. All mine are fit very well and have the sweetest actions out of the box than anytime in my Marlin history. Sure the transition was a rocky road but the end product we have now is afar better sample than all of my JM.

I think the story of all that (buying the used machines and having to rework them all) is pretty interesting.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Yes. Fact is the plant had been in terrible shape many years before the buy out. It was poor management and I felt sorry for the employees. Some of them tried to get revenge. I'm glad those days are over cause the product has been worth the wait.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I bought a Rossi 357/38 about 5 yrs ago and it has become my favorite plinking gun. Not sure if their quality has gone down. I know there are kits/online instructions on how to slick them up so they operate smoother...but for my plinking i enjoy the little gun.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I've had a Rossi .357 / 38 Spl. for about 7 years or so and I like it and have had no problems with it and I have shot it a lot. That said I would have bought a Marlin instead but at the time I only had enough $ for the lower priced Rossi.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I own Marlin, Henry, and Rossi, lever guns.
    The Henry has the smoothest action, but there is nothing wrong with either the Marlins or the Rossi.

My Rossi Puma is chambered for .454 Casull. It's taken it's share of deer, and done so with ease.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I own Marlin, Henry, and Rossi, lever guns.
    The Henry has the smoothest action, but there is nothing wrong with either the Marlins or the Rossi.

My Marlin is a nice, solid rifle. I like the looks of my Henry better as far as it having a deeper bluing, nicer wood and checkering, and just an over all better feel. The down side to the Henry is you can't "press check" the rifle and the side to side play of the lever.

With the Henry centerfire I have, you have to completely cycle the lever if you even start to move it. You can't just cycle it enough to see if there is a round in the chamber and close it again. If you try it, the lever will not stay closed and wants to spring open. I don't have this issue with my Marlin (or either Henry rimfire I have)

My boss has a Rossi that is nice, but it's top eject and I don't know if optics can be mounted on it (if you are into that sort of thing, which I am).

Top Bottom