• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Anybody know anything about Faxon rifle barrels or am I the guinea pig? I just ordered one since the PSA .224 Valkyrie upper I bought a while back is shooting one-minute-of-refrigerator. We've shot factory ammo and reloads with bullets weighing from 53 to 85.5 gr over loads of CFE223 from minimum to near maximum and none shot worth diddly. Actually, 53 VMax shot halfway decent but I don't need another gun launching light varmint bullets. I've got bolt guns consistently shooting 1/2" with those.

I found a forum which was frequented by a guy who is supposed to be the CEO of Faxon and was impressed........or maybe fell for his pitch. Either way, I've got one ordered. And yes, I am a bit of a tightwad and didn't spring for the high-dollar version. The complete upper was only $299 with several boxes of ammo from PSA. We shall see if I'm throwing good money after bad with this barrel.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021780310?pid=693390

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Don’t know about the 224 Valkyrie barrels, from what I’ve heard there have been problems from pretty much everyone getting them consistent. My 5.56 faxon barrel is excellent. Let us know what you find out!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    No clue about 224 valk, but faxon is making some of the nicer barrels you can get today, especially if you want a lighter contour.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Yep, it's most likely the caliber.

I'm beginning to think that way myself, but I know a couple of guys who have achieved good results from the Valkyrie in bolt guns. I was told up front that the PSA barrel might be the weak link so that's my first change. The PSA barrel is a 1:7, the Faxon is 1:6.5. Of course, the goal is to get it to live up to the hype with heavy bullets.

I do have a Savage 12FV that could be converted to .224 by changing the barrel and bolt head. :dunno:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I have an 18” Faxon 5.56 that has turned out to be quite the shooter. Under MOA and wrecked prairie dogs out to 300.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    So 224v is g2g. It is a quirky round but a lot of guys in the 224 groups on Facebook are getting amazing results, yet of them after a lot of time with a chrono developing loads for their rifle.

I've got a 1in7 18" 224. It shoots 75gr red box federal in consistent 3/4" @100yds. Every other factory round I've tried have been >1" but <2".

Top Bottom