Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Faxon barrels

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Faxon barrels

Anybody know anything about Faxon rifle barrels or am I the guinea pig? I just ordered one since the PSA .224 Valkyrie upper I bought a while back is shooting one-minute-of-refrigerator. We've shot factory ammo and reloads with bullets weighing from 53 to 85.5 gr over loads of CFE223 from minimum to near maximum and none shot worth diddly. Actually, 53 VMax shot halfway decent but I don't need another gun launching light varmint bullets. I've got bolt guns consistently shooting 1/2" with those.

I found a forum which was frequented by a guy who is supposed to be the CEO of Faxon and was impressed........or maybe fell for his pitch. Either way, I've got one ordered. And yes, I am a bit of a tightwad and didn't spring for the high-dollar version. The complete upper was only $299 with several boxes of ammo from PSA. We shall see if I'm throwing good money after bad with this barrel.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021780310?pid=693390
    If your crystal meth dealer has all his teeth, he's a cop!

User Info Menu

Donít know about the 224 Valkyrie barrels, from what Iíve heard there have been problems from pretty much everyone getting them consistent. My 5.56 faxon barrel is excellent. Let us know what you find out!

User Info Menu

No clue about 224 valk, but faxon is making some of the nicer barrels you can get today, especially if you want a lighter contour.
    "Fiat justitia ruat caelum" - Trey Gowdy

User Info Menu

I read about this problem with almost all 224 Valkyries. I went with the 6.5 Grendel and glad I did.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Yep, it's most likely the caliber.

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

My lightweight faxon 16 is a nail driver at 300 yards.

Will buy more faxon.

Shred
    It's a trick..... get an axe.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    Yep, it's most likely the caliber.
    I'm beginning to think that way myself, but I know a couple of guys who have achieved good results from the Valkyrie in bolt guns. I was told up front that the PSA barrel might be the weak link so that's my first change. The PSA barrel is a 1:7, the Faxon is 1:6.5. Of course, the goal is to get it to live up to the hype with heavy bullets.

I do have a Savage 12FV that could be converted to .224 by changing the barrel and bolt head.

User Info Menu

I have an 18Ē Faxon 5.56 that has turned out to be quite the shooter. Under MOA and wrecked prairie dogs out to 300.
    Quote Originally Posted by theweakerbrother View Post
    Freedom is dangerous and I prefer it that way.

User Info Menu

From what I gather: Faxon is gtg, .224 Valk not so much.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

The Faxon barrel has arrived and has been installed by Garrison at Beech Grove. He says he's installed several Faxon barrel and they've shot well. We shall see. As a last resort, Savage makes a 110 Prairie Hunter in .224V. Hope I don't have to go that route, though I am tempted. https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=57409

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast