14.5" AR - pin & weld muzzle device or SBR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I have a 14.5" AR piston upper on order that I plan to run suppressed with my Sig SRD762ti-QD can. The Sig QD mount system is a 2-piece design. The QD mount screws onto the barrel, the muzzle device then screws into the mount. If I use their flash hider setup, this will add just under 1.52" to my barrel length giving me over 16" total. The 2 piece setup would need fused together for ATF compliance with perhaps silver solder. The suppressor seats on the mount at the tapered area.

Here is my current dilemma. Do I run the upper on a pistol lower using a brace, have the QD mount/muzzle device pinned & welded, or go the SBR route?

Pistol w/brace
    pros:
    - least expensive (already have a lower I can use)
    - muzzle device is not permanently attached, easily removed
    - no waiting period
    - no tax stamp required
    cons:
    - not a fan of an AR pistol this long in regards to asthetics (braces aren't sexy)
    - prefer an actual stock vs. brace in regards to comfort while shouldering/shooting

Pin & Weld
    pros:
    - puts barrel at 16" for use on a rifle lower
    - no tax stamp requirement
    - can swap to different rifle lowers if desired
    cons:
    - additional cost (shipping and gunsmith)
    - muzzle device is permanently attached, not easily removed
    - fusing the mount and muzzle device together could be tricky for the gunsmith as that seam needs to remain flush so the suppressor can slide past that area
    - waiting period due to shipping both ways and the actual time at the gunsmith

SBR
    pros:
    - ability to use a stock instead of a brace
    - muzzle device is not permanently attached
    - my first SBR, which has appeal all on it's own
    cons:
    - additional cost
    - tax stamp required
    - waiting period (which could be minimal going by recent wait times)
    - have to notify ATF of any out of state travel (I frequent a range in Ohio)
    - have to get lower receiver engraved

taper-lok-small.jpg

F73B7D3B4D4D4E7B8B884294A6612034D60DBA28.jpg

Last edited:

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    I believe the ATF new ruling states . That any firearm over 26" from muzzle to rear of buffer tube with a barrel shorter than 16 " is now a AOW

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    Having gone down both paths multiple times my advice is to go 14.5 pinned.
    Unless you are going 12.5 or shorter the $200 bucks and hassle don't make a lot of sense. :twocents:

That said... You clearly enjoy hassle and unnecessary expenses... Cough "SIG can with wonky proprietary mounting system" cough.

Would you recommend SIG rifle cans?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Having gone down both paths multiple times my advice is to go 14.5 pinned.
    Unless you are going 12.5 or shorter the $200 bucks and hassle don't make a lot of sense. :twocents:

That said... You clearly enjoy hassle and unnecessary expenses... Cough "SIG can with wonky proprietary mounting system" cough.

Would you recommend SIG rifle cans?
    I don't have enough knowledge about suppressors to recommend anything. This was my first rifle can and I got a crazy good deal on it. I like it just fine so far. In regards to the mounting system, they offered the mounts for what applications I intended to use the suppressor on at time of purchase, pinning & welding a mount was not in the game plan at that time. This 14.5" upper was an unexpected purchase and just looking at options with it. I appreciate your insight/advice.

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    Given your stated good fortune regarding the suppressor in question I would absolutely pin and weld for simplicity.
    At the end of the day the AR game is pathetically cheap. Down the road if you change your mind or circumstances (re)building an upper is easier than falling down and soooo much cheaper on wallet&ego.

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    It's on Ar performance web site .
    Look under 5.56/223 wylde section
    Despite his assertion, I can find no evidence of that being true. If you add a vertical foregrip to an *under* 26" OAL pistol, it becomes an AOW. This is not what that site says, but is the closest to what he claims.

If the pistol is *over* 26", it is still a pistol.

If you add a vertical foregrip to an *over* 26" OAL pistol, it becomes a "firearm"

I think that AR Performance site is a terrible source, personally. I've reviewed actual firearms news sites on the newest ATF letters and I usually (and have) read the actual letter itself. One of our resident lawyers might chime in, but I have sources with sources backing my understanding.

And none of this is personally directed at you. Hopefully this opens up options for you if building an AR pistol is in your interests.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.p...h-when-equipped-with-a-stabilizing-brace/amp/

https://johnpierceesq.com/understan...ruling-regarding-overall-length-measurements/

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    Despite his assertion, I can find no evidence of that being true. If you add a vertical foregrip to an *under* 26" OAL pistol, it becomes an AOW. This is not what that site says, but is the closest to what he claims.

If the pistol is *over* 26", it is still a pistol.

If you add a vertical foregrip to an *over* 26" OAL pistol, it becomes a "firearm"

I think that AR Performance site is a terrible source, personally. I've reviewed actual firearms news sites on the newest ATF letters and I usually (and have) read the actual letter itself. One of our resident lawyers might chime in, but I have sources with sources backing my understanding.

And none of this is personally directed at you. Hopefully this opens up options for you if building an AR pistol is in your interests.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.p...h-when-equipped-with-a-stabilizing-brace/amp/

https://johnpierceesq.com/understan...ruling-regarding-overall-length-measurements/

I'm old school nothing personal taken .
    I'm going to take his word for it , because of what he does for a living .
    To each to their own .

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Keep in mind that the out of state travel form is good for a year, so it isn't a constant hassle. Still a hassle, but.

I'd still go pinned. Some states, cities, don't allow an SBR... at all...
    You can still put it on the pistol lower, if you need it to be a pistol at the time.

Top Bottom