• ...and so much more!
  • Rburney

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    Avon
    I was at the Indy 1500 on Saturday and did something that I never do. I impulse bought a gun I don’t know much about. I was going to buy a nice National Postal Meter M1Carbine. Ran to the atm to get a couple hundred more dollars and when I got back someone else was looking at it and ended up buying it. Ugh...

My impulse buy was not cheap and now I am wondering if I paid too much or did I do OK. It is an M14. What are these worth? The gun is in great shape and I do like it, so that is good. Hopefully I did not pay too much.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Any USGI parts in it or is it all Springfield INC parts?
    When I have questions on mine I head over to www.m14forum.com Wealth of knowledge over there

Edit I looked at the pics and I see its a fed ord receiver, possibly all USGI parts. Check out the m14 forum

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I was at the Indy 1500 on Saturday and did something that I never USED TO do until yesterday. I impulse bought a gun I don’t know much about. I was going to buy a nice National Postal Meter M1Carbine. Ran to the atm to get a couple hundred more dollars and when I got back someone else was looking at it and ended up buying it. Ugh...

My impulse buy was not cheap and now I am wondering if I paid too much or did I do OK. It is an M14. What are these worth? The gun is in great shape and I do like it, so that is good. Hopefully I did not pay too much.

FIFY

Rburney

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    Avon
    Any USGI parts in it or is it all Springfield INC parts?
    When I have questions on mine I head over to www.m14forum.com Wealth of knowledge over there

Edit I looked at the pics and I see its a fed ord receiver, possibly all USGI parts. Check out the m14 forum
    It is all USGI parts from what I can tell. Seller said all USGI parts along with 4 mags. One of those is a Springfield mag. One mag has no markings, one has OM stamped on it. The fourth one has a KMT co. Stamp. CMP cartouche on the gun stock.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Never worry about price paid afterwards. Congratulations on your purchase.

From the m14 forum that red sent you to, it looks like this was an earlier one that likely contained mostly USGI parts.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Federal Ordinance makes solid stuff from the ones I have bought / fondled. I have 2 and both are earlier than yours. I bought one from MGE on a Friday at the 1500 years ago and a guy was forlornly trying to sell one that was like new at the Tipton show. I have put thousands of rounds of ball ammo mostly. I did shoot some Gold Medal match to see best of group and they did very well. I do fire lap all my barrels so I am sure that helps. Clean with JB. Swab and repeat. It helps that the Navy still uses them and I was well indoctrinated since I was a gunner's mate and ex- small arms repairman.
    Enjoy!!

Rburney

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    Avon
    Never worry about price paid afterwards. Congratulations on your purchase.

From the m14 forum that red sent you to, it looks like this was an earlier one that likely contained mostly USGI parts.
    thank you. I am checking out the forum now.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Fed Ord used all or mostly all USGI parts. They are good guns. They don't turn up for sale often, so they are hard to price. If you got it for $1k or less I would say you did well. If you paid like $1,200, I would say it was fair since a brand new Springfield M1a can be had for that price if you look around.

Just my :twocents:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have owned 4 of these in the past 15 years all were GI parts. Yours looks to have the early receiver as it is roll stamped 7.62MM(later I believe it was just roll stamped Springfield Armory or some such thing) and you have a four digit serial number. These are good things. I also see it is pre-ban(pre 1994) as it has the bayonet lug. Post ban did not have the bayonet lug (thanks too slick willy) and his anti gun crew who were concerned with drive by bayonetting's. You indicate it has a DoD stamp? Does it also have a selector switch cut out in the stock? If you pull the OP rod back it should be stamped on the side of the barrel with year and manufacture of the barrel. Except Winchester barrels which are usually stamped on top of the barrel under the hand guard. All in all from what I can tell from your photos it looks to be a early M14/M1A. Very nice.:yesway:

Forgot to mention. When you show up at the range with a M14/M1A. Be prepared for people to stop and watch you shoot and want to see the rifle more up close. They are classics!!!

Rburney

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    Avon
    I have owned 4 of these in the past 15 years all were GI parts. Yours looks to have the early receiver as it is roll stamped 7.62MM(later I believe it was just roll stamped Springfield Armory or some such thing) and you have a four digit serial number. These are good things. I also see it is pre-ban(pre 1994) as it has the bayonet lug. Post ban did not have the bayonet lug (thanks too slick willy) and his anti gun crew who were concerned with drive by bayonetting's. You indicate it has a DoD stamp? Does it also have a selector switch cut out in the stock? If you pull the OP rod back it should be stamped on the side of the barrel with year and manufacture of the barrel. Except Winchester barrels which are usually stamped on top of the barrel under the hand guard. All in all from what I can tell from your photos it looks to be a early M14/M1A. Very nice.:yesway:

Forgot to mention. When you show up at the range with a M14/M1A. Be prepared for people to stop and watch you shoot and want to see the rifle more up close. They are classics!!!

Thank you to everyone for the info. It does have the cut out for the selector switch on the stock. The barrel is H&R with a date of 8-61. I paid $1,000 for it but feel better now about the purchase.

Top Bottom