First long range gun. Need advise on GLASS.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    So I just picked up a Remington 700 SPS in .308 and am working on getting it set up for my needs.

Lets say we have a $2,000.00 budget for glass. I want to buy ONE really good glass for it that can be used on other guns in the future.

This gun will be used in the woods for hunting and at the range. Someday years down the road I "may" get to the point where I venture out to the 800-1000 yard range and would like to use the same scope.

This is what I am looking at as a good blend between practical hunting magnifications and long range magnifications.

I like the size of the scope because it will be used for hunting also and I don't want a scope that is HUGE. Once again this may not always be on top of the 700 it may be on top of the 1894, or 10/22, or 7.62X39 bolt gun.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/mark-5hd-3-6-18x44-mil

What say you INGO? If you have better recommendations I would love to hear it.

Also having NEVER shot that distance before is the 18 power enough in the future?

I know people are going to say save your money and get a Vortex for less.

I currently have 3 Vortex and to be honest I don't think they live up to the fanboy response they are getting.:twocents:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Vortex carries a wide range of product lines. Some do not match the hype; others exceed it and I have a safeful of Vortex scopes... That being said....

Finding a compromise between a 10/22 scope and a long range 308 scope is not going to happen unless you accept dramatic trade-offs. Given your $2000 budget, buy a couple cheap Hawke scopes for the other guns and top off the 700 with something that fits the cartridge.

If you are excluding Vortex, I would then look at Trijicon & Leupold. I only have one but I yet to see a Trijicon scope that hasn't been impressive.

If you really want a spectacular scope that you might not ever heard of, try Huskemaw. https://www.huskemawoptics.com/products They have some of the best glass that I have ever seen. Their 5x35 is just incredible!

Is 18 enough? Depends upon what you are doing. Ringing steel past 750 or shooting teeny tiny groups Elk at 500? Personally, I like 20-24x at 1000 yards but closer in, maybe 16-20. Hunting - maybe even less.

Bottom line is I would focus on the primary task of the firearm and marry the scope to that task. One size fits all does not exist in scopes. IMHO

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I have two Bushnell LRTSi 4.5-18x44s and absolutely LOVE them. They went head-to-head with the PST II 5-25x on my rifles and I sold the PST IIs (which were a fine scope, but the Bushnell glass was noticeably better). My only complaint is the G3i reticle is a hair thicker than I'd prefer at 18x which only plays a factor when shooting groups on paper.

https://www.bushnell.com/products/r...al/elite-tactical-lrts-riflescopes-4-5-18x44/

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-4-5...l+lrts&qid=1573569170&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-6

A Razor II is *heavy* and probably a lot more optic than you really want.

Mk5 HD is a fine optic and Liberty Optics has great pricing on them.

18x is more than sufficient for hunting medium game or banging steel at 1000 yards; I used 4-16x PST Gen Is and never had a problem. Reality is at higher magnifications you'd probably be fighting mirage anyway and forced to crank the magnification down a bit. Better to have more zoom than not, I suppose...but I haven't felt limited.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Vortex carries a wide range of product lines. Some do not match the hype; others exceed it and I have a safeful of Vortex scopes... That being said....

Finding a compromise between a 10/22 scope and a long range 308 scope is not going to happen unless you accept dramatic trade-offs. Given your $2000 budget, buy a couple cheap Hawke scopes for the other guns and top off the 700 with something that fits the cartridge.

If you are excluding Vortex, I would then look at Trijicon & Leupold. I only have one but I yet to see a Trijicon scope that hasn't been impressive.

If you really want a spectacular scope that you might not ever heard of, try Huskemaw. https://www.huskemawoptics.com/products They have some of the best glass that I have ever seen. Their 5x35 is just incredible!

Is 18 enough? Depends upon what you are doing. Ringing steel past 750 or shooting teeny tiny groups Elk at 500? Personally, I like 20-24x at 1000 yards but closer in, maybe 16-20. Hunting - maybe even less.

Bottom line is I would focus on the primary task of the firearm and marry the scope to that task. One size fits all does not exist in scopes. IMHO

Don't get me wrong the previously mentioned guns already have glass on them that I am happy with (other then the Vortex on the 7.62X39 bolt gun).

Odds are this will stay on this gun. I liked the 3.5 low power because it can still be used for a fast shot if I happen to be stalking and jump something. The 18 power is nice for long range, less time sensitive shots.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    For what it's worth, I would look hard at picking up one of these to get your feet wet in the game. At 625 it's a very capable option in mil or moa (moa linked)
    https://aaoptics.com/REFURBISHED-VIPER®-PST-GEN-II-3-15X44-FFP-RIFLESCOPE-EBR-2C-MOA_p_604.html

That gets you hunting and learning the game. It will be quite awhile before you out shoot this scope, and will get you to 1k with ease. After some time if you want to get deeper into LR shooting you can upgrade the scope on your 308, and move this to ???. This scope is nice enough you will always have a home for it.

I'm curious, what scope do you have on your 762x39 that your not happy with?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    OP - a couple weekends ago we had two rifles topped with Gen 1 versions of the scope that 42769vette referenced above at 1000 yards. Excellent scopes and I am sure the Gen II's are even better. One of the two; spent last week on an Elk hunt on Colorado.

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    That Leupold scope is really fine. I shot with one at a Leupold sponsored long range event last summer. Hitting the gong at 1000+ yards is pretty cool. I would have to agree with the other poster that Trijicon scopes are also very good.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Big knobs and a lot of Xs might be a bit of a PITA afield. I hated the target knobs on my varmint rifles Leupold.

Guy chopped his SWFA windage knob on another forum.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Asking one scope to do both hunting and potentially long range precision is asking for frustration. The scope that does one will not do the other well. For example, my 3-15 PST 2 ffp is excellent at longer ranges at higher mags. But at lower magnification, the reticle gets tiny fast and very busy. It’s very slow, bulky, and heavy. Not even close to what makes a good hunting optic (although the awesome FOV sure would).

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you're not going to be regularly dialing the turrets, the nightforce SHV is a fantastic scope for the coin.

If you will be regularly dialing the turrets, and you really want to spend $2k, Look at IOR Valdada. Far finer of a scope than a leupold. Tactical Scopes - Valdada Optics

I would also strongly urge you to look at Kahles offerings. Midway USA has some blemished 6-25x kahles scopes for $1980, if you're serious about long range, you'll have trouble finding a better or more durable optic.

Last edited:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    IMO, 4-16 is PLENTY on a hunting rifle, even a long range hunting rifle. I shot a pronghorn, which is a pretty small critter compared to an elk or deer, at 300 yards using a 2-10 scope this fall.

I like repeatable, return to zero exposed turrets, but tons of magnification can be distracting in a hunting rig.

Lots of really good comments above. +1 regarding Vortex higher range being quality. Their budget lines are just that: budget.
    Also less is more on a hunting scope, but more is more on a long range target scope.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    avboiler11 recommended the Bushnell LRTSi, and here is an interesting blog about the author using one of those in 3-12x44 successfully in a class shooting to 1000 meters.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Another point: FFP and wide mag ranges only cooperate with certain reticle designs. If you won’t regularly need to range unknown distance using the reticle, stick with 2fp for consistent reticle size. 2FP can work well for both target (usually a known distance) and hunting is the mag where the reticle is calibrated is useful at hunting ranges. For example, a reticle calibrated at 20x might not be ideal, but if you make a dope card at 5x or 10x, it’s easily managed.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yrs ago the Duplex reticle was touted as a rangefinder.
    Some scopes even had yardage on the power ring (think it assumed a deer's chest 18" deep)
    There were tables in catalogues.
    Guess it was too much for most.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Just throwing this out there..........
    on my first 35 rem rifle I ran a 2-7X.
    Figured the cartridge good to 150 yards (which I don't think to be long range).
    I ended up shooting my buck at 75 yards, in the thick stuff, w scope at 3X.
    Saw him take the hit, in recoil.

That is way cool.

Had a fixed 4X and went prone, a big 8 coming across the field.
    Fence removed, farmer does both fields as one.
    But property lines are property lines and there was a grass strip out there, so we knew what was ours.
    Buck turned around to follow the doe, went to where they came.

But had he continued just another 20 yards and crossed the old line, I'd have popped him.
    250 yards. w a 4x. .243 win
    Did not feel underscoped.

Less X's makes for steadier crosshairs and more relaxed shooting (not trying to fight the wiggle).
    F&S did some testing and found folks did better w 6X or less.

Of course if you have a blind w bench and are looking across a big area, or will be shooting off bipods, yeah more scope can be used.
    Heaven forbid a big one bust out of the ditch on your walk back and you have it at 14X and not 4x.

Have heard of that happening to quite a few folks.
    Even some that said they'd never flub it LOL

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Agree totally. For hunting I like the idea of wide FOV and low fixed magnification. 6x or less.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I totally understand what you are saying.

My 1894P has a Leupold 2-7X33 on it and it is perfect for that gun and what I use it for.

I am really on here just gaining knowledge on what people are using, thought process, products, and problems.

I have been speaking with AllenM through PM and value his advice. Currently don't have the funds for any glass but when I do I want to have one already selected.

Hell I am still trying to figure out 1FP v/s 2FP and what that actually does in real life.

Just throwing this out there..........
    on my first 35 rem rifle I ran a 2-7X.
    Figured the cartridge good to 150 yards (which I don't think to be long range).
    I ended up shooting my buck at 75 yards, in the thick stuff, w scope at 3X.
    Saw him take the hit, in recoil.

That is way cool.

Had a fixed 4X and went prone, a big 8 coming across the field.
    Fence removed, farmer does both fields as one.
    But property lines are property lines and there was a grass strip out there, so we knew what was ours.
    Buck turned around to follow the doe, went to where they came.

But had he continued just another 20 yards and crossed the old line, I'd have popped him.
    250 yards. w a 4x. .243 win
    Did not feel underscoped.

Less X's makes for steadier crosshairs and more relaxed shooting (not trying to fight the wiggle).
    F&S did some testing and found folks did better w 6X or less.

Of course if you have a blind w bench and are looking across a big area, or will be shooting off bipods, yeah more scope can be used.
    Heaven forbid a big one bust out of the ditch on your walk back and you have it at 14X and not 4x.

Have heard of that happening to quite a few folks.
    Even some that said they'd never flub it LOL

Top Bottom