Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ark

User Info Menu

Will carry handle rails retain zero?

I am working on putting together a 20" A2 build and I'd liked to hear from anyone who has experience with pic rails that mount to the hole in the carry handle. Do they actually retain zero when removed and reinstalled, or does the optic need to be rezeroed from scratch every time you take it off and put it back on?

I'm thinking about using this rifle for the occasional varmint hunt with a 3-9 optic, but to use as a classic-style irons gun the rest of the time. Can I get away with putting the scope and rail in a drawer and installing it right before leaving the house, or will I be chasing a wandering zero if I don't set it and leave it?

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !

User Info Menu

It will not be a repeatable zero. How far it’ll be off is anyone’s guess.
    VUPDblue's Rule #1: Don't be a jerk.

Marion County Fish and Game.Central Indiana's best shooting
    sports facility!

Rules of the INGO Classifieds

INGO rules of conduct

INGO Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VUPDblue View Post
    It will not be a repeatable zero. How far it’ll be off is anyone’s guess.
    Depends on who made the parts. Some are better fit. The cheap ones are crap.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Ark

User Info Menu

I am also kicking around the idea of a Brownells retro scope or one of those Primary Arms prism scopes that has a carry handle mount. But if as a mounting system the whole thing is fundamentally incapable of repeating zero with any optic, I will probably use a different rifle for that application.

As a 30-year-old zoomer who knows only flattops, I must seek the wisdom of the carry handle boomers.

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !

User Info Menu

The one hole method is just not good at being repeatable. It may be good enough for a RDS for close-up work, but definitely not repeatable with any kind of precision.
    VUPDblue's Rule #1: Don't be a jerk.

Marion County Fish and Game.Central Indiana's best shooting
    sports facility!

Rules of the INGO Classifieds

INGO rules of conduct

INGO Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

User Info Menu

Dont do it. I tried optics on my old A2. Puts the optics too high. Maybe if you also replace the stock with some type of adjustable comb thats really tall, but not the standard stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    Dont do it. I tried optics on my old A2. Puts the optics too high. Maybe if you also replace the stock with some type of adjustable comb thats really tall, but not the standard stock.
    Was going to say this. A removable high comb might work, definitely cheaper than an adjustable stock, but then you have to make sure it's back in the same spot every time also. Might want to look at a removable carry handle setup. I don't think any removable mounts will be dead nuts on but some are really close. It'll no doubt be a lot closer to RTZ than the fixed handle deal though. With a fixed front sight at anything more than 3 or 4x it just ghosts out then is completely out of the field of view.
    Tulta munille! HAKKAA PÄÄLLE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    Dont do it. I tried optics on my old A2. Puts the optics too high.
    This.

Learned this back in the 90's with my first AR. Maybe just get a nice QR detachable scope mount, and swap that out with the carry handle. Should only take a few shots to conform zero.

Or better yet(if feasible), considering the low price of uppers, buy a different upper for the scoped version. Then, no need to worry about rezoering.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Which is why in a post-apocalyptic world, never, ever let screenwriters have any input on security, strategery, or tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinchaser View Post
    Try and comprehend when I post here and LEARN!

Assault is a behavior, not a device.

Ark

User Info Menu

Cool cool, thanks for the input. I'm still doing an A2 for its own sake, just wondering about the possibility of using it for this application. Probably be sticking to irons on this rifle and save myself the cost of an optic. Other guns in the safe can do that.

Just needed to near from somebody who had tried it.

Expert

User Info Menu

They will hold and repeat if you glue the rail. It effectively becomes a 1-gun rail, but it’s not like they are super expensive.

Keep the scope under 20 oz and stick to .223, and it CAN be done. Been done for years, actually.

It’s still a ****ty way to shoot an AR and a lot of work for not a lot of return. Pun semi-intended.

President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast