• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I am working on putting together a 20" A2 build and I'd liked to hear from anyone who has experience with pic rails that mount to the hole in the carry handle. Do they actually retain zero when removed and reinstalled, or does the optic need to be rezeroed from scratch every time you take it off and put it back on?

I'm thinking about using this rifle for the occasional varmint hunt with a 3-9 optic, but to use as a classic-style irons gun the rest of the time. Can I get away with putting the scope and rail in a drawer and installing it right before leaving the house, or will I be chasing a wandering zero if I don't set it and leave it?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I am also kicking around the idea of a Brownells retro scope or one of those Primary Arms prism scopes that has a carry handle mount. But if as a mounting system the whole thing is fundamentally incapable of repeating zero with any optic, I will probably use a different rifle for that application.

As a 30-year-old zoomer who knows only flattops, I must seek the wisdom of the carry handle boomers.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The one hole method is just not good at being repeatable. It may be good enough for a RDS for close-up work, but definitely not repeatable with any kind of precision.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Dont do it. I tried optics on my old A2. Puts the optics too high. Maybe if you also replace the stock with some type of adjustable comb thats really tall, but not the standard stock.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Dont do it. I tried optics on my old A2. Puts the optics too high. Maybe if you also replace the stock with some type of adjustable comb thats really tall, but not the standard stock.

Was going to say this. A removable high comb might work, definitely cheaper than an adjustable stock, but then you have to make sure it's back in the same spot every time also. Might want to look at a removable carry handle setup. I don't think any removable mounts will be dead nuts on but some are really close. It'll no doubt be a lot closer to RTZ than the fixed handle deal though. With a fixed front sight at anything more than 3 or 4x it just ghosts out then is completely out of the field of view.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Dont do it. I tried optics on my old A2. Puts the optics too high.

This.

Learned this back in the 90's with my first AR. Maybe just get a nice QR detachable scope mount, and swap that out with the carry handle. Should only take a few shots to conform zero.

Or better yet(if feasible), considering the low price of uppers, buy a different upper for the scoped version. Then, no need to worry about rezoering. ;)

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Cool cool, thanks for the input. I'm still doing an A2 for its own sake, just wondering about the possibility of using it for this application. Probably be sticking to irons on this rifle and save myself the cost of an optic. Other guns in the safe can do that.

Just needed to near from somebody who had tried it. :yesway:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    They will hold and repeat if you glue the rail. It effectively becomes a 1-gun rail, but it’s not like they are super expensive.

Keep the scope under 20 oz and stick to .223, and it CAN be done. Been done for years, actually.

It’s still a ****ty way to shoot an AR and a lot of work for not a lot of return. Pun semi-intended.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Cool cool, thanks for the input. I'm still doing an A2 for its own sake, just wondering about the possibility of using it for this application. Probably be sticking to irons on this rifle and save myself the cost of an optic. Other guns in the safe can do that.

Just needed to near from somebody who had tried it. :yesway:

Yes, learn from my mistake. I ended up just buying a flattop upper for when I wanted optics. THAT holds a zero when you remove it. :): (swapping uppers)

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Back in the long ago days we didn’t have “flattops” everything had a carrying handle!

There used to be a “duck bill” or “Z” mount that placed the optic out in front of the carrying handle and at almost co witnessed. This worked better than the one hole on the carrying handle, try mounting a AN/PVS 4 on one it’s completely un balanced.

You could find one of the old junkie Colt scopes we used and be all into 1988!

I might have some old stone washed jeans and pastel colored shirts left if you need them.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Back in the long ago days we didn’t have “flattops” everything had a carrying handle!

There used to be a “duck bill” or “Z” mount that placed the optic out in front of the carrying handle and at almost co witnessed. This worked better than the one hole on the carrying handle, try mounting a AN/PVS 4 on one it’s completely un balanced.

You could find one of the old junkie Colt scopes we used and be all into 1988!

I might have some old stone washed jeans and pastel colored shirts left if you need them.

Top Bottom