• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, a family member acquired an early Christmas present in the form of a Marlin 336C in .30-30. Regarded as the family gun guy, I had to fake my way through some questions/answers, because I don't know diddly about lever guns. :)

Got the SN and did the lookup thing and it apparently has a 1981 manufacture date. From what I can tell, it is in 99%+ condition. Supposedly, it had a box of ammo through it when it was purchased in the 1980s, but has been well-maintained since then. No scratches or dings or anything. It does not have any sort of obvious safety like a button or anything. No scope, but apparently it is tapped for a scope base.

I'll be able to take a better look at it later in the week. Did some research on field stripping it, and basically it looks like taking out the lever screw then trying real hard not to lose the ejector.

Basically, though, I need INGO to help me out for when more questions need answered!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Older lever actions use the half cock notch as a "safety" if you want to call it that. Like 100 years of Winchester before them. 1981 would put this in the Marlin manufacturing before the buy out by Remington. The 336 in this era will have Microgroove rifling, which while fine with jacketed bullets can be an issue with cast lead. A fine reliable rifle, you will get years of service out of it and the 30-30 is an excellent cartridge for deer hunting at woods ranges.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks, Leadeye!

Here's an odd question... is there a way to unload it that doesn't include working the lever, which cocks the hammer?

Personally, I have other old guns that relied more on the "keep your finger off the trigger and the gun pointed in a safe direction" kind of safety, so I'm down with that. Just wondering if there's a different technique.

That was a different time... even the early 80s. :)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You can get the cartridges out without working the lever, but it tough and requires tools. Hold the hammer down with your thumb for additional safety when you work the lever. I've done this on old Winchesters that had "questionable" hammer notches and I was afraid might follow the bolt.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ah, hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.

It just occurred to me that the action is similar to (at least with respect to the bolt/hammer interaction) the Winchester 1897 shotgun (1930s vintage) that I have.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Ah, hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.

It just occurred to me that the action is similar to (at least with respect to the bolt/hammer interaction) the Winchester 1897 shotgun (1930s vintage) that I have.

You can get the shells out of a 1897 Winchester magazine by depressing the shell stops with your fingernail as it's easy to reach. Another fine gun from days past.:)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Interesting!

Also, in looking at the 336, it doesn't appear to have the studs for a sling. The stock is awfully pretty, so I'm wondering how/whether to do a sling for some hunting.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Interesting!

Also, in looking at the 336, it doesn't appear to have the studs for a sling. The stock is awfully pretty, so I'm wondering how/whether to do a sling for some hunting.

I have the same thing with a nice sling, I'll post a pic this evening.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Cool. Looking forward to it.

In doing some research, it looks like there's a kind of mag tube clamp that has the sling stud, then you can do a stock wrap thing with a ring for the other end of the sling. That is appealing because the wood on this rifle looks to be good quality. It has the little bullseye thing which apparently means its walnut?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've seen those sling set ups and they are nice. Here's how mine is set up.

I don't know your age, but if you're old like me (63) and don't want to put a scope on it, a Marbles tang peep sight is worth it's weight in gold.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That's nice! I'm just not sure about drilling into the furniture for the sling studs, nor the willingness to pay a smith to do it.

And I'm getting mail from AARP now, if that tells you much. ;) Thanks to lasik a dozen or so years ago, my vision should be ok for a few more years, but I've been a fan of peep sights when they're available.

I've looked a little at the ballistics of the .30-30 and it REALLY drops off after 200 yds. If this gun gets scoped, I suspect it'll have the see-through rings and maybe even a fixed magnification to clearly make out that rare 200 yd shot. There will probably be hunting opportunities for it, but at 150 or less type distances.

Probably time for me to peruse the lever action pic thread. :D

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    These are nice sights. 1895 Sight

If there is a great deal on 30/30 ammo let me know. I have a couple boxes from dad that are marked $6.99. Those were the days. Now it's like $18 bucks a box. They sure are fun to shoot though. Get your John Wayne on.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have a Midways account and put ammo I like on a "wish list" so it lets me know when they are on sale. I think I saw some for as low as ~$15/box. That's within market price for me nowadays. :)

(I recently came across some old Galyans ammo and was surprised at how much ammo prices have gone up.)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    :rolleyes:

Notwithstanding the eyepoke, I've had RDS and have Leupold 1.5-5 on my SBR. The latter is for a very specific relatvely close quarters application, with a secondary capacity to reach out a ways. I don't really see the value of putting that on a hunting rifle in which the effective range is about what the open sights give you anyway.

Been doing more reading, and perhaps a more generic 3-9x would be good for this. Especially since I'm not sure this will even get scoped.

I'm certainly open to honest feedback on issues like the scope height. So thanks for that, at least.

ETA:
    I may not have been clear. This isn't my gun. It won't be my decision on whether it gets scoped or what with. Knowing the parties involved, I suspect retaining the iron sights will be important, thus the see through rings. And the main eyes using it will be younger than mine. ;)

I'm just trying to think ahead to questions that will be asked and solutions for possble issues.

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have a Midways account and put ammo I like on a "wish list" so it lets me know when they are on sale. I think I saw some for as low as ~$15/box. That's within market price for me nowadays. :)

(I recently came across some old Galyans ammo and was surprised at how much ammo prices have gone up.)

If you are near Greenfield the Gander here has ammo at 30% off and it wasn't priced high to begin with so there are deals to be found.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you want the scope at higher mag for longer shots, cheek weld gets more important.
    That is one reason why "see through" rings suck.

They also tend to not be as rigid. Suck number two.

Looking through a tunnel to get to the irons..........suck #3.

Why do they now make rails with integral peeps, where scopes can be mounted low, but detachable?
    Because they know see throughs just aint worth the hassle.

As for hunting, up close a 1 or 1.5X is dandy. Target and aiming point both in focus.
    Even with good young eyes there is an advantage to that compared to irons.
    Esp on movers.

I rather like David Petzal's writing in Field and Stream, and he too thinks see throughs an abomination.
    Scope it, or leave it irons.

There is an upgrade to the irons worth mentioning, a peep.

Buckhorn sights.............hated them ever since I started shooting.
    Even when my vision was better than 20/15.............those sights sucked.
    Killed a lot of chucks w a couple 9422M.

Those guns look like crap scoped. Look nice iron sights.
    But their iron sights suck.

I suppose NECG makes a dovetail peep for slotted receiver.
    No such thing back then.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd put a Skinner peep (or similar) on it, or do a low power variable mounted for proper cheekweld.
    2-7X would be the most I'd run.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My .35 rem (non lever gun) wears a straight 4X.
    I shoot both eyes open and have run 4X before on close movers.
    Gun fit was great so it was no prob. But less mag is still easier.

4X, not enough some times. Too much other times.
    2-7X is hard to beat.

But a 1-4X ...........if you forget to turn it down, is still only max'd at 4X.
    That could save the day.

I bet a lot of folks like the higher mag scopes because they use them as binoculars.

If studying a deer to establish possible B&C score, yeah................higher mag might be a good idea.
    But IMHO you don't need much in the way of X's to know if it's a good deer or not.

1-4X and a good pair of 8X binos is the combo I'd get.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I'm personally not sold on the aesthetics of a scoped lever gun, or a lever gun at all, really. That's probably why I've never really been that interested in them.

Getting a sling on it will probably be a higher priority than a scope. Get a sling solution, take it hunting, and then see what other tweaks need to be made.

Top Bottom