• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A finish worn, but mechanically sharp Winchester from 1911 was the subject today of some variations in 32-20 ammo. Back in the day ammunition companies tried exploiting the possibilities of upgrading 32-20 ammo from it's old black powder standard. The 1892 was and still is a strong action so you could buy "hotted up " ammo back then for it that was labeled for the rifle. Having picked up some jacketed bullets on free shipping from Midway I decided to see how well they would perform. A little work found a load with Hercules 2400 that was much higher than my revolver/1873 loads and produced good accuracy with the little SRC. Light well balanced guns, the 1892 SRC is fun to shoot and even the hotter ammo produces little recoil making it east to stay on a 100 yard target and shoot without any muzzle rise.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Very Cool. I get strange looks whenever I shoot my vintage guns. 1” on all my sporting rifles and carbines. 1918, 1929, 1907 1903. I always stop by the Winchester collector that is asking $$$$$ for his pieces and I ask....well how does it shoot? They can’t tell me but than can tell me the blue book.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I get rather nervous shooting my winchester 1892 sporting rifle made in 1894 since that's the year winchester changed barrel to for new smokeless powders in the model 1894. I shoot cast bullets and titegroup powder for a wonderful & accurate results with 140gr & 175gr missouri bullets.
    brass & dies are available from Track of the Wolf. gun ejects shells straight up and does draw a crowd @ the range.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Having loaded and shot a lot of 32-20 I've often wondered if Robert Johnson's old blues song about the cartridge was the old hot loaded rifle ammo in a revolver.

Top Bottom