• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Per the article: dozens of shots and 4 hits.

What are the "rules" about a record shot? I'd think making the shot on-demand or with some notable frequency would be required. Sounds like it takes multiple mag changes for one hit.

Still, 1.25 miles or so... that is freaking far.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    One of the holes looked like the bullet may have been tumbling at that point, too.

Again, not ideal in practice, but a heck of an accomplishment!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I believe so since he talks about the bullet slowing down to sub-sonic speed. At that point I would say the sound overtakes the bullet.

Depends on how long the bullet's subsonic and how long it spent supersonic. If it spends 2000yds supersonic and 200 subsonic, it'll take some time for the muzzle blast to overtake it. The wake/bow wave overtakes it right when it crosses below the sound barrier but the muzzle report has to catch up.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I would like to know the rules or whatever also. I don't know any ranges that have that yardage but it sure sounds like fun.
    I have a swiss,a mauser 98 and a swede that I would love to try.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I wonder if this would even be possible to attempt with anything other than an old military rifle. Do commercial rifles have iron sights that can be adjusted for that kind of extreme range? Even the old Creedmoor matches were "only" 1000 yards.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wonder if this would even be possible to attempt with anything other than an old military rifle. Do commercial rifles have iron sights that can be adjusted for that kind of extreme range? Even the old Creedmoor matches were "only" 1000 yards.

That's a good point Rob. I would guess that there aren't any modern rifles with that kind of range adjustment in their iron sights. It would all be "Kentucky elevation".

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015

Oh yeah. You could set something up to do that pretty easily if you wanted to. Say...a 30” .30-378 Mag with a 208 AMAX or ELDM. Slap a Riles 22mm Palma on the front and put it right down on the barrel. Put yourself a Warner on the back end, mebbe on a Pic Rail, maybe on a riser block....and you’re gonna be damn surprised how far out you are already zeroed with the sight all the way at the bottom of it’s range.

Remember, even for a .308 or .223, it is only 40 Minutes to 1,000 yards. A heavy cartridge cuts that WAY down...like, half that.

A Warner #2 carries close to 80 Minutes of elevation onboard.

At a 35” sight radius, 1 Minute is only about 0.010”.

So some quick figgerin shows that even an offset of no more than 1/2” between the front sight and the rear—an easily achievable setup—will zero your little .30 cal at WELL over 1,000 yards. About twice that.

Without touching the rear sight’s range of motion.

I think that would probably get you to
    3,000 yards before you’d run out of elevation and have to hold over.

Fun fact: even at that extreme range—just under 1 3/4 miles—every click on that little rear sight will only move your cone about 8”.

It would do it better than any scope you own, too. ;);)

Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm curious as to what the shooter is seeing at that range. Personally, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to see the target let alone hit it.
    ^^^THIS^^^

At his age, SEEING a 36" target at 2240yds belongs in the Guiness Book of Records!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    58 shots before the first hit? That’s not skill, that’s just statistics and persistence.

Give a skilled HP rifle shooter 58 shots and almost certainly at least one will hit. That’s a hit rate under 2 percent.

Top Bottom