• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm certainly no expert but what I do know is...it depends (on whether it's worth it). Are the numbers correct? If they are, I do know that will be a factor.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Not nearly enough pics or info to give an educated opinion. But I'm going to say you're holding a tribute rifle built by Springfield Armory some years ago and not an original production rifle from WW II. Those were pricey at the time for a reproduction. The serial number and name stamped on the receiver will tell what it is.

If I.am correct, you can find nice originals for much less, if that's what you are looking for. If you want a "new" example of the Garand then I would say it's a little high in price.

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    Most likely this is overpriced. Go to the CMP to buy a rifle or watch the CMP forums in the classified section if you really want a Garand.

Condition, manufacturer, serial number range, correctness, and cartouches present (or not) are some of the major factors that go into assigning a value for a Garand.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I recently bought one from JJM off our classified. It is a post war Springfield, correct grade, just as it was sent from the factory for that price. There is no evidence to think the mechanics have ever been disassembled.

Once the M1's have "improvements" the value drops, considerably.

The prices you see on the internet and at gun shows will numb your senses over time and you will stand there with dribble on your chin and a handful of cash mumbling, "I must have...I must have..."

This is one end of the market where it really pays to have friends, someone on the inside.

JJM bought this one from CMP in 2005 and had the foresight to leave it "as is" and passed it on to me for a modest profit but less than half what the current bids are when (and if) some come available.

If you want a shooter, one can be had for much less than $1500. If your time is worth more to you than what it will take to find one, or you just really have to "scratch that itch", then grab it. They are making money everyday but they aren't making any more M1's...

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I recently bought one from JJM off our classified. It is a post war Springfield, correct grade, just as it was sent from the factory for that price. There is no evidence to think the mechanics have ever been disassembled.

The prices you see on the internet and at gun shows will numb your senses over time and you will stand there with dribble on your chin and a handful of cash mumbling, "I must have...I must have..."

This is one end of the market where it really pays to have friends, someone on the inside.

JJM bought this one from CMP in 2005 and had the foresight to leave it "as is" and passed it on to me for a modest profit but less than half what the current bids are when (and if) some come available.

If you want a shooter, one can be had for much less than $1500. If your time is worth more to you than what it will take to find one, or you just really have to "scratch that itch", then grab it. They are making money everyday but they aren't making any more M1's...

Mongo59 speaks MUCH truth. I am by NO means a Garand expert but I did collect them back in the late 80's and early 90's before the price of them began to interfere with buying groceries and I decided feeding a wife and kids should probably take first priority over collecting Garands LOL! Anyway...If you really want a Garand I highly recommend you check out the CMP as has been mentioned here, or better yet visit the CMP and pick out your own. Make a small vacation of it, my wife and I have done that. Went 3 different times to CMP north (Port Clinton). Talk about a "slobber" fest. Walking into the north store and seeing all those beautiful Garands on the racks just ripe for the picking and the staff is so very helpful if you want they will even help you pick out one and not is a sales person way either as they are volunteers and make no money from the sale. Then after you choose your Garand you can pick up some ammo there as well. Sorry did not mean "highjack" your thread to turn this into a CMP thread. IMHO I would pass on this one you show and go CMP. Just my 3-cents.

JJM7288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Zionsville
    The visit visit with Mongo and his brother adds value. This rifle is in good hands.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Mongo59 speaks MUCH truth. I am by NO means a Garand expert but I did collect them back in the late 80's and early 90's before the price of them began to interfere with buying groceries and I decided feeding a wife and kids should probably take first priority over collecting Garands LOL! Anyway...If you really want a Garand I highly recommend you check out the CMP as has been mentioned here, or better yet visit the CMP and pick out your own. Make a small vacation of it, my wife and I have done that. Went 3 different times to CMP north (Port Clinton). Talk about a "slobber" fest. Walking into the north store and seeing all those beautiful Garands on the racks just ripe for the picking and the staff is so very helpful if you want they will even help you pick out one and not is a sales person way either as they are volunteers and make no money from the sale. Then after you choose your Garand you can pick up some ammo there as well. Sorry did not mean "highjack" your thread to turn this into a CMP thread. IMHO I would pass on this one you show and go CMP. Just my 3-cents.

Agreed
    Went to Port Clinton and picked mine out. My brother and I did it, and well worth the trip.
    Keep an eye on the store reports on the CMP forum to get an idea of the inventory.
    If you just can't make the trip, go to the CMP site and download the order info / forms and mail order it. My brother has done this a few times and has never been disappointed. Plus nothing like haveing a Garand delivered to your door.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County

therewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    United States
    Yeah, I've got a "real" Garand, sewer pipe, zero accuracy barrel, greasy ass original stock, whotta prize ! IMO, if you're interested in putting rounds downrange, get something shootable.

If you want a "wall-hanger", or collectable, get an original, but it might be an exercise in futility to mix the two. I wish I knew then what I know now, I'd have been all over one of those "commemorative", or build your own models like a fat kid on a cheesesteak.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Yeah, I've got a "real" Garand, sewer pipe, zero accuracy barrel, greasy ass original stock, whotta prize ! IMO, if you're interested in putting rounds downrange, get something shootable.

If you want a "wall-hanger", or collectable, get an original, but it might be an exercise in futility to mix the two. I wish I knew then what I know now, I'd have been all over one of those "commemorative", or build your own models like a fat kid on a cheesesteak.

Don't know where you bought yours but mine are both WWII serial #'s with the arsenal rebarrel from the 50's. The gunstore buy I don't know the MW and TE but the one from CMP , which is a field grade, has a Te of 0 and a MW of 2. shoots great.
    As for the greasy stock did you try cleaning it? you know when they stored them they packed them in cosmoline.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport

Did yours come from the CMP? If so, I guess even the best can mess up a time or two especially when dealing in volume that the CMP does. All of my Garands from them have been awesome.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

Where is this Garand now therewolf? It can be made a shooter.

I am not talking a massive money infusion either.

Thanks to the millions made and a surplus of parts available you can pick your own desired outcome of a rebuild.

For a shooter it is as easy as getting an original GI 1960's barrel, clean the stock and you are in business. Once you learn what the "magic" star on the muzzle means, you can save your cash and still shoot like a pro.

To keep it shooting that good you never stick anything down the barrel from the muzzle. Get an Otis or similar cable type cleaning kit and throw the brush down the basement steps. These 1960's barrels hate being brushed, just patch them with a good cleaner. I use Blue Wonder, it wont hurt your wood if some gets on it and washes off easily.

I own 4 Garands but I only shoot one. A shooter to enjoy and three more to be a steward of for the next generation. My shooter was one of those "wall-hangers" you speak of, it took less than $250 to make it perform. That is because I shoot left handed and I will not trust a worn op rod flying back and forth just in front of my nose. If you are a right hander or a risk taker the cost would be half that.

Or you can pony up the cash to have someone else buy "magical parts", your choice...

Top Bottom