• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I know few details about this ol Winchester. It is chambered in .25-20 WCF and the wood has been refinished somewhere along the way. It belonged to my dad’s great uncle, who worked for the railroad, and I believe he was the original owner. The serial number dates it to 1903 or 1904, depending on which database you look at. Dad has stories about rabbit hunting with this rifle long ago. It’s been passed down through the family and I now have it. The finish is great with normal wear for a rifle of it’s age. I have never shot it, or even believe that it’s been fired since I’ve been alive. The stock appears to have medallions of some kind in it that I know nothing about. I’ve always loved these old lever guns but I am far from versed in their history.

4a7ofTZ.jpg

S2yHkBg.jpg

Gon8y0K.jpg

8ZRcO8D.jpg

foIUADT.jpg

WadXJ3a.jpg

XiMHrqz.jpg

QDeJsM6.jpg

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Love these Winchester Central Fires!

A little know secret but I know first hand this round will take Mr Deer. Back in the day we used 2400 pistol powder to heat up the round a little. I also picked off rabbit when the cotton tail would pause and the factory round did not tear Peter up to bad for eatin.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nice looking rifle, get some ammo and exercise that old gun a bit. I've never owned a 25-20 but have shot lots of 32-20, it's an easy shooting cartridge.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Beautiful rifle, and more so since it is a family heirloom.

Wonder if that item on the top of the stock is a repair?

Been a fan of lever Winchesters, have an 1985 myself.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    That is a beautiful gun VUPD. Congratulations!

There is generally always steel hanging in the back yard, you are welcome anytime.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    That is nice! Great bit of family history also.
    Can you go into a little detail on the spot on the stock? Looks like its top and bottom, some sort of repair? hole all the way through?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    That is nice! Great bit of family history also.
    Can you go into a little detail on the spot on the stock? Looks like its top and bottom, some sort of repair? hole all the way through?

I wish I could. The medallions are similar but I don’t have any idea why they are there.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Great looking rifle - especially for being 115 -116 years old. I also like lever actions but can't afford one like that! Great family history too, that's a real keeper.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Better pictures of them, and ask Leadeye. This is his area of expertise.

Personalizing rifles with inserts or carving was pretty common back in that day. I've seen Winchesters with old coins from their era set in the stocks which is an interesting touch. The brass parts might be made from something connected with the railroad as he was employed there.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm just spitballing without looking anything up. But that's around the time the switch was made to smokeless on most rifles. It's just a few years newer than my Colt Lightning.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm assuming that was made for a black powder cartridge, not smokeless powder.

And that is a sweet rifle.

From Wiki

While the SAAMI pressure rating is a full 28,000 CUP, modern ammunition is often loaded lighter in deference to the weaker steels used on many of the original guns. The early black powder cartridges were loaded to about 20,000 psi, but the SAAMI rating is close to that of the high velocity smokeless rounds produced later. The high velocity loadings developed 1,732 ft/s.

Top Bottom