• ...and so much more!
  • luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    97B8E514-743F-4EEA-AD8C-7C78B7DD81FF.jpg
    Who is a fan of the 6.5 Grendel? Let’s open a discussion.
    What do you use it for? Target or hunting?
    What maker?
    AR or bolt?
    Length of barrel?
    What Ammo? Review of options. accuracy for you
    What mag?
    Pictures would be awesome.
    2019 Indiana deer season, Orange County, 250 yards, Federal Fusion ammo, 16” radical firearms upper, ALG/ACT trigger

d4842ab5-5933-498c-b19d-b9be180649f3

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Nice! That's a massive looking deer. I'm a fan but my experience is only from behind the keyboard. Tagged to see what the more informed contribute.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I use a 6.5 grendel for coyotes.

Ar-15.
    Brownells sells an 18 inch Satern barrel with a matching bolt face. I've been very happy with the accuracy.
    Hornady 123SST shoot 1/2 inch groups.
    Federal 90 grain TNT shoot 7/8 inch groups, but they are cheaper and shoot a little flatter so I use them.
    I was using E-lander mags, but they tend to misfeed, so I switched to AR stoner mags.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have one but haven't had much time behind it. I swapped out the SHV scope for an NXS but these are the most recent pics I've got.

oCOw4SJh.jpg

lIMSNz0h.jpg

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Love the 6.5 grendel. Mine is home built. Aero Upper and lower. 20" barrel. Toolcraft BCG. Magpul stock and grip. Only have had a chance to shoot out to 200 yards so far but is a tack driver as it should be

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So when is the Allen Engineering can going on?

I’ve come close to buying one several times but the year+ wait on a stamp pisses me off so much I haven’t bothered yet. I’ll pick one up eventually. I talked to AE about opening one up for me and they said it wouldn’t be an issue. I have 3 Mk12ish rifles, I should just do it I guess.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Since originally poking fun at Phylo for taking up a “hipster” round, I’ve eaten humble pie and am now a huge Grendel fan. And like a true fanatic, I’ve convinced half a dozen friends and family to buy in to it.

12.5” Ballistic Advantage barrel and bolt.
    MI rail.
    Spikes lower.
    Aero Upper.

Shoots right at MOA with factory Hornady SST, which is plenty accurate for this gun’s purpose! It’s taken 4 deer and a half dozen hogs so far, and I’ve been very impressed by terminal performance. (I don’t have any great pics of the rifle itself at hand right now...)

attachment.php

attachment.php

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Georgia, not far from Americus. I have done a couple write-ups on the last few years we’ve gone if you’re interested. They actually sort of explain how we all ended up with Grendels, after seeing poor results with other calibers on pigs.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/great-outdoors/449903-georgia-hog-hunt-write-up.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...eorgia-hog-hunt-round-2-write-up-finally.html

I don't know if your dad built his creedmoor yet. If he hasn't, tell him to look at the DPMS gen2. It's basically an ar-15 with an ar10 mag well, but still stout enough to handle 308. I bought one to build my 22 creedmoor, and the weight difference is very noticeable. It's not much heavier than an ar15.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I was inspired by Phylodog's Mk 12 build so I called the guys at High Caliber Sales. My 6.5 Grendel upper is being put together as I type this. Mine will be slightly different with a FDE forearm and upper rail. A Vortex 3-15 PST Gen II will sit on top in a LaRue mount. I'm planning to share the lower from my .458 SOCOM with the FDE grip and UBR stock. The holidays slowed the build time, but it should be complete soon. I'm itching to get it and run some rounds through it.

efd1295

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Northern IN
    Grendel here for hogs. 11.5 Alexander upper on a BCM lower.
    I have the complete opposite problem as rookie. I can't get an AR-Stoner mag to cycle, so I switched to E-Lander mags and haven't had one problem.

I was using E-lander mags, but they tend to misfeed, so I switched to AR stoner mags.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Grendel here for hogs. 11.5 Alexander upper on a BCM lower.
    I have the complete opposite problem as rookie. I can't get an AR-Stoner mag to cycle, so I switched to E-Lander mags and haven't had one problem.

I am a huge 6.5 Grendel fan. I think it's one of the best mid-range cartridges available. The magazine issue is one of the most discussed frustrations people have with the caliber, whether it's a lack of capacity (for those who want 30 rounders) or reliability (Stoner vs. AA vs. C Products, etc.).

I'm currently researching using these magazines (once they figure out the spring issue) with a PSA KS-47 lower and 12.5" upper chambered in 65G as the "best of all worlds" carbine for me.

I was hoping to light the INGO world on fire with this revelation, but it's still in the works, and this post seemed like a good place to bring it up. I've emailed Csspecs about this idea, waiting to hear back.

For barrels, I've been very happy with Faxon. For BCGs, I've had zero issues with Tool Craft.

The 6.5 Grendel forum is another resource for knowledge.

Lastly, these guys are working on a 6.5 Grendel AK. Evocatus Strategic.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I don't know if your dad built his creedmoor yet. If he hasn't, tell him to look at the DPMS gen2. It's basically an ar-15 with an ar10 mag well, but still stout enough to handle 308. I bought one to build my 22 creedmoor, and the weight difference is very noticeable. It's not much heavier than an ar15.
    Thanks Rookie. That one was definitely in the running, but he’s firmly aboard the Grendel train now. He did a 16” BA and a 18” Hardened Arms.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    sweet rig.
    I use a 6.5 grendel for coyotes.

Ar-15.
    Brownells sells an 18 inch Satern barrel with a matching bolt face. I've been very happy with the accuracy.
    Hornady 123SST shoot 1/2 inch groups.
    Federal 90 grain TNT shoot 7/8 inch groups, but they are cheaper and shoot a little flatter so I use them.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    pictures say it all. The more I shoot it, the more I suggest others take a look.
    Since originally poking fun at Phylo for taking up a “hipster” round, I’ve eaten humble pie and am now a huge Grendel fan. And like a true fanatic, I’ve convinced half a dozen friends and family to buy in to it.

12.5” Ballistic Advantage barrel and bolt.
    MI rail.
    Spikes lower.
    Aero Upper.

Shoots right at MOA with factory Hornady SST, which is plenty accurate for this gun’s purpose! It’s taken 4 deer and a half dozen hogs so far, and I’ve been very impressed by terminal performance. (I don’t have any great pics of the rifle itself at hand right now...)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Top Bottom