• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I picked up a CMMG .22LR conversion kit some years ago, for just in case. Already owning a Spikes Tactical dedicated .22 LR upper, I never used the conversion kit. Never even tried it.

I'm wanting to look at this again as part of my survival/SHTF bag to accompany my get home (or get somewhere) rifle/pistol.

Just wondering if INGOers use these on a regular or recent basis?

Any tips, ammo selection advice, etc?

:ingo:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    They are toys. If you have a dedicated upper stick with that. I'd rather have a Ruger mk pistol occupying that space in a shtf pack.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    They are toys. If you have a dedicated upper stick with that. I'd rather have a Ruger mk pistol occupying that space in a shtf pack.

What Ggreen said. I had a CMMG conversion and sold it. It ran with high velocity ammo, but in a SHTF situation, you want 100% reliability with whatever you can get ahold of. I love my Ruger Mk III 22/45. Load up on extra mags and ammo with a quality red dot and it will do only thing I need it to. It’s good to go on head shots for rabbit/ squirrel as long as I do my part and feed it what it likes (which I buy in bulk).

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The .22 kits are great if you want to run your rifle with a silencer. They are most accurate out of a 1/14 barrel, or less so with a 1/12 twist barrel. The 1/7 and 1/8 barrels will still work with a kit, but accuracy will be off. The MOST IMPORTANT thing to do with a .22 kit is to KEEP IT CLEAN - They foul up easily.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a CMMG kit that I use to run ARs out at MCFG. It lets me add trigger time on a gun but I don’t expect it to be anything other than a training aide. Same optics, same trigger, just ammo that’s allowed in the bays at MCFG.

I have thousands of rounds through mine and it’s been reliable if kept clean and lubed well. Accuracy is not comparable to a dedicated .22lr but it is good enough for what it is. For a SHTF situation, it might be handy for squirrels or something but it would have to be less than 50 yards.

Again though, the main benefit of it for me is allowing me to run the rifles in the pistol bays at MCFG using the same optics setup as I run normally.

Top Bottom