• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Picked this up down at the Martinsville show this morning. Mossberg 346KA. Made from 1960 to 1968. .22 s, l, lr. Now I need to find a scope for it. :)

CUFYcNP.jpg

uUS4t0m.jpg

IfG0ved.jpg

gGD5YRJ.jpg

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "More gun for the money!"

I always liked the 46 series, bolt actions with that looooong tube magazine. I have a 146.
    I have a 46B that I love, but it's heavy. I just picked up a vintage Weaver V7-1 2.5-7 x 32 scope for this one on ebay. This rifle just had one of the nicest stocks I've ever seen on a Mossberg. Bore looks pristine too.

One nice thing about the tube mags is that you really don't have to worry about losing one. Not to mention that they're "high capacity" without fitting the stupid definitions that the gun control group want to impose, since they're not "detachable magazines".

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My 46b holds 26 22 shorts. Some of the old Mossbergs had outstanding walnut and shoot pretty straight as well. Yours looks like a nice one.

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Mossbergs. In Boy Scouts, it's what we had at the range for our rifle and shotgun merit badge training. We had both "standard" bolt actions (don't recall the model number) as well as some heavy barrel Model 44 U.S. rifles, which were my favorite. I wound up buying one (for $50!) eventually as my very first .22 and that thing was really accurate, but unfortunately was stolen back in the early 80's. I was actually looking for another one when I came across my 46B. I'd still like to have another 44 U.S., but the prices on those have really gone up.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    In a modern world of black plastic guns. The old classics like your Mossberg with the wood and blued steel are refreshing. :) Nothing like the old classics.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    +1 on the gun! Love old .22’s. Thanks for sharing

In a modern world of black plastic guns. The old classics like your Mossberg with the wood and blued steel are refreshing. :) Nothing like the old classics.

Thanks guys. I went through an AR phase a few years ago (wound up building 7 of them!) but wood and steel has my heart. :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Finally got this rifle to the range today and got the scope sighted in. Like every Mossberg .22 I've ever shot, it's a tack driver and just a pleasure to shoot. Unfortunately, I had issues with all but one of the other guns (pistols) I brought, but unsurprisingly the Mossberg was perfect. Maybe I should just stick to collecting Mossberg .22's. :): Lord knows they made enough different variations that you could come up with a pretty good sized collection if that's all you had. I really liked the old Weaver scope too. Are the optics as good as modern high-end scopes? No. But they're still crisp and clear and do their job, especially on a .22.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    :yesway: I can't wait to get out and try out my Mossberg M44 US this spring. I haven't got to run any any rounds through her yet. I love these old 22s.
    pbwyY0I.jpg

l2H1lKk.jpg

I love those! That was my very first .22. I WILL have another one one of these days... Although they're considerably more expensive than the $50 I paid for mine back in the 1970's. :): Does yours say U.S. Property on it anywhere? Mine had that marking, so it was a military trainer at some point.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I love those! That was my very first .22. I WILL have another one one of these days... Although they're considerably more expensive than the $50 I paid for mine back in the 1970's. :): Does yours say U.S. Property on it anywhere? Mine had that marking, so it was a military trainer at some point.

I had a 46B find me years ago.
    It showed up on my doorstep with a sad story about needing cash.
    I gave $50 for the rifle with one 7 round mag, wearing a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 and a very nice padded leather thumbhole sling.

I have since removed the scope, but still have it, and reinstalled the original style Mossberg peep sights.
    It is a tack-driver, and will never be sold by me.

Top Bottom