Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: +2 gas system?

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    Dtech suggested a +2 on my 6mm creedmoor with 22 inch barrel.
    If you said anything about something OTHER than the usual 5.56x45mm casing, well...my answer would have been different.
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    What weights are you shooting? What's the twist rate?
    1:7.5 and 105-107gr
    ď...I blame TurboĒ -Everyone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post
    Hohn is right. It tears up your stuff less when you are running heavy bullet loads with slow powders.

The gas port pressure was never intended to be as high as it is with your Vargets and RE-15s, much less something like MR2000.

Some argue that reducing port size solves it, but thing is, the Venturi Principal isnít a theory. Reducing the port size might relatively decrease the VOLUME of gas that gets into the tube before the bullet unseals the muzzle, but it will at the same time relatively increase the SPEED of that gas jet. No free lunch.

It was only intended for fast powders and light 55-60 grain bullets.

We have changed the barrel configurations significantly to enable stabilization of steel core ammunition, invented longer bullets to shoot well in those tight twist barrels, and then adapted our powder charges and formulations to perform better with the bigger bullets...

...but the port location didnít change, did it?

In your opinion, what are the slowest powders that should be used with a 20" barrel and standard rifle length gas system?
    "2016: The year that hackers became more trusted than government or reporters."

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoManAaron View Post
    In your opinion, what are the slowest powders that should be used with a 20" barrel and standard rifle length gas system?
    2000MR will push a heavy .22 bullet as fast as it can go from a 5.56x45, and THEN some.

Caution being that it doesnít really like light loads, and seems to want to go fast, but the AR ainít no bolt gun, and this isnít a .22-250.

Being, um, ďhighly energeticĒ, and a modified Ball, 2000 also has enough space in the casing, even behind a 90, to blow your **** up RIGHT now.

RE-15 and Varget and such other slow-ish stick powders arenít as likely to do that very well, because they take up too much space, and you start crunching powder pretty badly. RE-15 is used a good bit over 100% fill by some guys with the 77SMK at mag.

(not necessarily this guy)

That being said, Iíd much rather use 2000 for a heavy heavy load than I would RE-15, because despite Reloderís many-lb space on my shelves, it is a spiky powder on the top end, and it will royally chew up primers, casings, and rifles if you try to get high speed.

2000 is MEANT for that.

But not for light bullets. Itís the domain of 80-90 grainers only.
    President's Hundred
    Distinguished Rifleman
    Incessant Tinkerer

User Info Menu

So, what powder would you recommend for 55 grain in 6mm creedmoor? I'm wanting FAST.

Expert

User Info Menu

No idea.

I wouldnít put that in an AR.
    President's Hundred
    Distinguished Rifleman
    Incessant Tinkerer

User Info Menu

Guess I'll find out...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2