• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris387

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Just south of Indy
    I want to start my first AR build and I really want to do a pistol caliber in 45acp since I already have 5.56. What am I getting myself into in terms of difficulty and finding parts? What’s the general opinion on 45acp in an AR platform? Is it any good? How does the blowback design effect the build/performance of rifle?
    Thanks!

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    My first build was an AR 40 I guess you would call it. Parts are much easier to find now. For the .45 I can’t recommend Rudy at Macon Armory enough. He made the barrel, bolt and buffer for my .40 and is ahead of the game in the PCC realm. If I were you I would definitely talk to him about your build. He’s a wealth of knowledge and great to deal with.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My only suggestion is at least for a first build, buy a complete upper. That seems to be the part of the build that requires the more specialized tools.

The lower really doesnt require any tools a real man doesnt already have in his toolbox. (roll pin puches are the biggest thing, but you can make it work with a standard pin punch set)

AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    My first build was an AR 40 I guess you would call it. Parts are much easier to find now. For the .45 I canÂ’t recommend Rudy at Macon Armory enough. He made the barrel, bolt and buffer for my .40 and is ahead of the game in the PCC realm. If I were you I would definitely talk to him about your build. HeÂ’s a wealth of knowledge and great to deal with.

Another big thumbs up for Rudy. I bought a complete upper from New Frontier Armory intending to put it on one of their 80% lowers. Should work, right? Nope. The bolt couldnÂ’t clear the ejector, and by a lot. It wasnÂ’t something a few minutes with a file would fix. NFA was no help at all. So I called Rudy and ordered one of his uppers, I really couldnÂ’t afford it, but I was pissed about NFA and wanted to get something that worked. Rudy uses AR-15 lowers with mag well adapters instead of the supposedly Glock magazine compatible NFA lowers. Knowing I had just spent a bundle on the NFA parts, Glock magazines, and now an upper from him, he included a mag well adapter, two magazines, and a mag loader. Rudy said try it out and pay me if you like how it works. ThatÂ’s about $300 of parts he sent me to try.

I kept the parts and paid Rudy as soon as I could and ordered another magazine. I happened to mention I wished I had made it a rifle instead of a pistol with a brace. Rudy said to send the upper back and he’d change the barrel to a 16”, all he asked for was shipping. Wow! I called NFA again to try and get them to take beck their upper, and as soon as I mentioned Macon Armory whoever I was talking to started to bad mouth Rudy. I’m never buying so much as a detent spring from them again! Still got the upper, too. Anybody know a good gunsmith that could get it working?

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Yeah I sent Rudy a message on Facebook just showing him my build and what not. I build mine in 2016. He said he had upgraded a lot since then and offered to upgrade me for free. Just send him the barrel and bolt and pay shipping. I couldn’t believe it. I wasn’t complaining at all. I was actually telling him how much I liked it and he offered anyway.

he will also do custom length barrels. For example with the muzzle device and hand guard I planned to use I wanted an odd length barrel. So he made me a 6 7/8” barrel.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Macon armory the only way to build an ar45.

My sbr'd and suppressed 45 gas operated ar. It's so much fun and a great home defense option.

20200120153010.jpg

anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    I agree above above about buying a complete upper for your first build. Unless you are pretty handy. It isn’t hard but it is a lot easier building an upper if you have the proper tools.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I would probably call. If you’re looking for different hand guards etc. I would just see if you can order without and pick out whatever one you want.

spencer5650

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2013
    Bedford
    Been wanting to build an AR in either 9mm or 45, not sure if I should go blow back or direct impingement? What I’ve gathered so far, BB is simpler but harder on the trigger group. And DI is smoother, but more finicky and more expensive? Am I missing anything?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Been wanting to build an AR in either 9mm or 45, not sure if I should go blow back or direct impingement? What I’ve gathered so far, BB is simpler but harder on the trigger group. And DI is smoother, but more finicky and more expensive? Am I missing anything?

Both can be finicky, so it's important to understand how they work. DI is roughly 2 to 3x the cost

spencer5650

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2013
    Bedford
    Looks like it may be BB for financial considerations. Any opinions on Glock mag lower or Colt style? Am leaning towards Glock because I have a bunch already.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Looks like it may be BB for financial considerations. Any opinions on Glock mag lower or Colt style? Am leaning towards Glock because I have a bunch already.

Colt mag adapters automatically have last round bolt hold open, the lower handles identical to a standard 556. Colt mags are roughly 20 bucks for good all metal 30rd mags. A good glock 33rd mag can touch 40 bucks.

I'm completely sold on stick mag pcc's.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Colt mag adapters automatically have last round bolt hold open, the lower handles identical to a standard 556. Colt mags are roughly 20 bucks for good all metal 30rd mags. A good glock 33rd mag can touch 40 bucks.

I'm completely sold on stick mag pcc's.

The ONLY benefit to Glock fed is if you already have lots of mags. However if you want to compete in PCC events, the lack of LRBHO will SERIOUSLY handicap you. I shot two matches and man was it discouraging. Ive since switched to Colt mags and love it. Especially since I can use a standard lower so if I want to go back to .223 I can by removing the magwell adapter.

I even tried a specialized upper that had a mechanism to hold the bolt open, but if it was a weak mag spring it was VERY unreliable, and the bolt catch didnt always get all the meat on the bolt so it would slam shut sometimes when handled roughly.

Top Bottom